“Never want to leave”

Ranked #35 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Chicago, Illinois
“Never want to leave”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is my second visit to El Taj--the first was in November 2012--and I'm happy to report that this lovely hotel continues to amaze. As I write, my balcony door is open and I can hear the waves lapping at the shore behind the sounds of people laughing on the street and some happy mariachi band at a nearby resort. I have to go home to Chicago tomorrow, and I dread it. El Taj is simply heavenly. My condo is gorgeous and enormous; I can't possibly take full advantage of all the lounging spaces in just one week--two patios, a huge living room, a rooftop with a palapa-shaded living room, a Jacuzzi, grilling amenities, shall I go on? The beach club offers delicious food and beverages--don't miss the green ceviche. Everyone who works there is attentive and jovial. Special thanks to Jorge, Roberto, Chue, Alfredo, Hugo, William and Robert for making our stay extra special. Eric at the front desk makes check-in a treat. If you don't like the (charming) boats or the periodic kelp on the immediate beach, just walk a minute south to a beautiful swimming beach. I can tell you that when I was here in 11/12 I found 6 pristine conch shells in the surf just to the north of El Taj 's pier. No such luck this time, but I will return again and again to the inestimable El Taj and hope for more treasures

Room Tip: I stayed in 357, absolutely gorgeous unit with rooftop terrace. Partial ocean view from rooftop. Hug...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Brookemallers
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Brookemallers,
Your review just absolutely blows me away. It is so outstanding to me to hear your story and to know that we, at El Taj, have been able to create such a beautiful memorable experience for you! If we can be compared to heaven I am sure that we are doing everything right to create a positive and stress free experience for our guests. Also, I would like to thank you for your direct compliments about the staff. Please know that I take this feedback very seriously and all of the people you mention will receive recognition for doing a fine job! Thank you again, and definitely we hope to see you again soon at El Taj!

Owner, Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Hebrew first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We booked a 1 bedroom oceanview from Expedia. When we got to El Taj, we were given a room with no oceanview. No ocean at all, not leaning over a railing or from any window or patio. After a little complaining, we were told that in 2 days we could have oceanview. Our next room was 2 bedroom with a great view. We were very happy. We enjoyed our stay here. It was clean, the beds were great, the staff was wonderful. No complaints. One of our first nights we went to Plank, one of their new restaurants and met Jack Perlman. Jack owns Plank and El Taj and others. He treated us well and even arranged an excursion for our friends! We loved Plank. Great food, great entertainment and great drinks! We weren't crazy about Indigo resaurant so we went to Imprevist for lunch or breakfast which we liked more.

Room Tip: Both rooms that we had were good. 351 didn't have a view. 343 was a great room with 2 bedrooms...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank denelljl
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear denelljl,
Thank you so much for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. It was so wonderful to meet you and definitely my pleasure to personally make any accommodations for you so that you can have an enjoyable stay. Thank you for all your wonderful comments about the beauty of the rooms and also for your amazing comments about Plank! Defiantly, I hope that you loved your breakfast/brunch at Imprevist as well. I'm sorry about the mix up with Expedia as sometimes working with 3rd party agents is a bit more difficult and unfortunately we don't have any control over what they are advertising. We try our best to communicate with them so that a guest is never mislead under any circumstances. I am glad however that we were able to accomplish getting you that ocean view room you were expecting. Again, thank you and I hope you will return again soon with us at El Taj.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Beautiful condo hotel, we stayed here for 5 nights in Feb 2014 with my wife and three kids. Perfect accommodation, lovely quiet pools, fabulous beach with lots of things going on and stuff to see, fishing boats and dive boats going in and out etc. Pure white sand, great for sandcastles.

Beach restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner is excellent, and very kind and attentive staff, I could mention a few by name like Robert, but they were all great, with very good English, and same for the beach side loungers, where they will bring you drinks, move your parasol etc, nothing is too much trouble.

Bell hops and reception staff also very good, with good English. (thanks Eduardo)

Only slight downside is the loud music from the discos on the Friday and Saturday nights, but that is because the location is very central, and only 100m walk to the busiest stretch of 5th Avenue

Room Tip: ask for ocean front, or on the side of the building to the left as you are facing the sea, this will...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Timhth,
Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent review with us on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to know that you were able to enjoy a beautiful vacation with us at El Taj in Playa del Carmen. We are a condo hotel so the idea is to make everything swift and easy for all of our guests including every possible amenity inside our units and on the grounds. Additionally we provide our guests an exclusive privilege card with our best recommendations for dining and entertainment. We are happy to be located in the most ideal part of town - the premier zone - only steps away from the 5th Avenue, the beach, entertainment venues, an elite fitness club. We are indeed fortunate enough to have such beauty in our surroundings. I appreciate your kind comments and I hope that you will return back with us again during future visits to Playa del Carmen.

Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at El Taj and hated to leave! It is truly wonderful! The condominiums are even more beautiful than the pictures and include extra amenities such as bottled water, MP3 players, and DVD players. Those extra touches are very nice! The rooms are open and beautiful. The pool area and common areas are tropical and just make you happy to be there! Loved our patio - enjoying the most amazing view of the ocean and the hot tub that was the perfect temperature, great jets and chemical free! The beach club is fantastic - great beach! You can walk out a long way and are still in the softest sand and gorgeous aqua water. Everyone at the condominium and beach club are so friendly and helpful! Jorje was our first waiter and was so nice - loved him!

They also include free access to The Gym - which is amazing! Excellent variety of equipment! Truly a first class gym!

Breakfast was included, which was great. The Imprevist was an exceptional experience - in presentation and flavor. Breakfast at the beach club was a relaxing treat - eating right on the beach! (Not to mention during the day!)

The condo is within walking distance from the entire downtown area - which is so much fun. You can party into the wee hours of the morning and just walk back to your gorgeous condo and comfortable bed! We will be going back over and over!

Room Tip: Loved the ocean view! We had a 2 bedroom condo and enjoying that view from our patio at any time wa...
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I'll provide a detailed review of our stay at El Taj when I get a moment this weekend, but I just wanted to provide this review of our experience with Manuel Montalvo (the El Taj Concierge) while it was fresh. Last Saturday afternoon we thought it would be fun to spend the day (Sunday) on Cozumel. We'd taken the Ferry over on trips past and I really wanted to do something fun and different so I asked Manuel if we could book a "puddle jumper" to fly the four of us over and back the very next day. He was a bit taken aback, then he moved into action. Within 15 minutes he'd learned that there were no commercial flights on Sunday, but he kept digging and found that we could charter a private plane (Aerosaab) just for our group. He set the whole thing up and we had the MOST remarkable day Cozumel. It would have been so much easier for him to have simply said "sorry, I don't know of any other way than the ferry". It's that attitude and spirit that makes the difference!! I will also mention that we had made a purchase of some art and we were promised by the shop keeper that the items would be available by our 10 am departure time to the airport. Unfortunately, the shop owner was a "no show" by 10:15 and we HAD to leave to catch our flight. I made a quick stop at Manuel's office... I explained my predicament and he said "no problem, I'll handle it for you" (of course). We left and he located the shop keeper, packed the items and had them shipped to our home. Wow!!! I big "thank you" to Manuel for going the extra mile. We've used MANY concierge services over the years at the very best hotels and I'm pleasure to say that El Taj and Manuel are of the best!

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room on the north side of the building for extra balconies. If you looking for a 2...
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This may not be an all-inclusive but it still has a lot to offer. The pool is great and relaxing; the attached bar/restaurant has wonderful food and service. Find Roberto and he will take care of you like royalty! We LOVED him!!! The office is very accommodating and always there to help. They're open 24/7 which is great. We needed some help with our TV and some other minor maintenance and we had help within 10-15 mins. We were in room 356 and it was very nice and In a corner so not many neighbors. The grounds were beautiful and w/in walking distance to many shopping/dining options.

North Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2014

In February we travelled to Playa del Carmen for the 4th time and stayed in unit 345 of El Taj for the 2nd time. Our first stay at El Taj was marvelous and we wondered if a second visit could be as magical. El Taj and Playa del Carmen did not disappoint. After our first stay in unit 345 some 3 years ago we wrote a review that focused on the superior amenities of El Taj and the excellent service that we received from its staff. None of this has changed. The unit and the facility is still like new. We travelled with one other couple and found that the 3 bedroom condo unit provided plenty of space and privacy. The unit's roof top terrace is huge, private and provides a stunning view of the ocean. The staff was extremely accommodating to our needs and organized a snorkeling trip for just the 4 of us as well as a day at a secluded beach. We made use of the bbq on the terrace, but most evenings we dined at one of the numerous quality restaurants in the area. Everything, including some terrific shopping, is within walking distance. We truly enjoy Playa del Carmen and its people. The condo experience allowed us to experience the community in a way that an all inclusive would not provide. Fourteen days were not enough!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nbaytraveller53
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear nbaytraveller53,
Wow! I am so pleased to read such a happy review from one of my guests, even more so from a returning guest. Certainly it makes me feel proud that we can continue to provide the same level of quality service year after year. I have no doubt that this is due to my wonderful staff who truly does a magnificent job. El Taj is indeed in an awesome location just steps away from literally everything you could need and want in Playa - The Beach, shopping, upscale and trendy restaurants and even a very upscale exclusive fitness club right around the corner. I hope that you found that the privileged card you received at check in offered you some nice discounts and variety in ways of amenities, entertainment and dining out. I really do hope that we can continue to accommodate you at El Taj during future trips to Playa del Carmen.

Best,