We had a beautiful week at the Taj but were sorely disappointed by the quality of the beach. I am going to break down this review into sections so that I can fair. Hotel: the staff is first class. From the bellmen to the front desk to the palapa servers, the whole experience was excellent. They were always available and around, very professional, and very friendly. The condo: a bit more compact than the pictures show but comfortable and well appointed. Nice furnishings and state of the art (TVs in every room, free WIFI, zoned AC). Nice outdoor table. The private patio and hot-tub area were awesome for dinner every night (two comments here; one was there was a rat running through the counter one night from flower bed to flower bed and the other was that someone consistently turned down the jacuzzi so the temperature was not where we wanted, very frustrating that it was messed with during the day). Location: in central Playa right by the pedestrian street close to all the bars, shops, and restaurants. Very walkable to the ferry terminal for the Cozumel ferry (be aware that there are 2 companies and you should buy the return ticket based on the schedule you want versus a roundtrip ticket. The bummer with the location is that there was very loud music every night until around 3 or 4 a.m. We could hear the music from the back of the condo (the master and the two twins room). Lastly the beach: El Taj keeps the beach and palapas very clean right in front of the hotel which is a very small stretch. There are boats parked right in front so it's really not great swimming. But the trash was horrible to the right and left; parts of the beach smelled like sewer (down from the Taj). The water had floating trash as well.
We also booked a private chef every night for dinner. Hanne was her name and we booked her through Coty Villareal. Her personality, food, and menu were superb! She did an amazing job with our very strict gluten free diet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Taj Condo Hotel consists of 57 spacious condos situated on 2 separate properties in front of the beach. El Taj oceanfront is directly on the beach and El Taj Beachside is across the street. Guests get to use all the on site amenities including our exclusive beach club. We offer 2 incredible heated pools. The relaxing heated pool on Beachside property is an exotic black mosaic infinity pool with an extra large Jacuzzi while the oceanfront heated pool sits right on the beach in front of our exclusive beach club. We're located in the most liveliest area of Playa that offers the convenience of having the best restaurants, nightlife and shopping within one block from your vacation home.Each Condominium offers expansive floor plans and superb finishes. The Beachside condos have private terraces that are surrounded by exotic plants, Lilly ponds and all face the pool and cascading waterfalls. All the penthouse units in El Taj Beachside feature ocean views from the private roof decks. All the oceanfront units have views of the ocean.Each condo comes with fully equipped kitchens and the finest details including flat screen TVs in all the rooms. We provide the same services usually associated with some of the finest hotels. Our designers traveled the globe to Indonesia trying to recreate an environment reminiscent to Bali. . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Taj Oceanfront And Beachside Condo Hotel
- El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico