“A NOTCH ABOVE ALL OTHERS”

El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
Ranked #35 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Vancouver, Washington
“A NOTCH ABOVE ALL OTHERS”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This property was one of the best boutique hotels that we have ever stayed in! From the moment we arrived and were greated by the front desk staff we felt pampered. We stayed in a partial-view room, which had a semi-private garden patio just off the jetted tub area. Speaking of the gardens decorated with Balinese art, wow! It is a vivid contrast of lush green overlooking the blue sea and white sand beach.

The location is a few steps to 5th Avenue and transportation is easy to any of the tourist parks, so renting a car isn't necessary. Our room was well decorated, fully appointed and exceptionally clean. It even contained a water cooler of filtered, cold/hot water. We found the king-size bed comfortable and inviting after a full day of exploring Playa and environs.

The beach/pool area is well staffed and serves up one of the best margaritas in Playa del Carmen (thanks Jose!). Our stay included breakfast each morning at either restaurant--both are excellent. We hope to return soon with other couples in tow...it would be so much fun to rent the 3 bedroom penthouse with the private roof-top patio and hot tub!

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms would be worth the additional cost
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Hebrew first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2013

the staff and the service they provide are just great!! rooms are worth the price!! the location could not be better just in the middle of the 5th avenue with all amenities close by, the food is just wonderful and prices are excellent , i mean, my family of 5 ate at the beach with drinks included for just over 20 us$/person

Room Tip: ocean view get it!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Condohotels, Jack Pearlman,Owner Condo Hotels at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear henry q,

El Taj Hotel staffs are very delighted to hear that your experience with us was very pleasant. It is true that our location is one of the best as we are situated at the very Heart of Playa del Carmen. Everything is walkable from dining out to all the restaurants at 5th ave, nightlife at 12 ave and a beautiful beach front with lots of amenities. We will continue to do our best and serve our loyal and future customers the best of everything. We hope to see you on your next visit and perhaps tell your family and friends about us as well.

Jack Pearlman, Owner Condo Hotels
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

HOTEL LAYOUT:
There is "Oceanfront" which is exactly as it sounds, a building on the beach/ocean facing side of 1 Avenida, and the "Beach side", which is on the side of avenida 1 that is closer to quinta avenida, which is the main road of Playa del Carmen. Both feature beautiful rooms, though I cannot speak to the experience on the beachside because we were upgraded to the oceanside.

We had originally booked through an online agency, and I had done my research thoroughly I knew that doing so would probably land us on the beach side. LUCKILY, we were there early enough in the day that when our original unit, 307, had a broken AC, they were forced to upgrade us to the Oceanside penthouse! I am under the impression that if you book directly through the hotel, you will get the oceanside suites.

The penthouse we stayed in was 357, which was at the back of the oceanside so not much of a view as some of the other rooms, though you needn't stay in the room for a view anyways, am i right? Rooms were CLEAN, well kept, even the grill on the rooftop was immaculate when we decided to use it - the kitchen was FULLY stocked with every glass/ plate/ tupperware/ silverware/ utensils you could possibly imagine needing. There is a water cooler in the room, which is fantastic because water in Mexico is no joke. The washing machine and dryer in the room also made us realize we really only needed to pack about 1/3 of the clothes we brought, because we could easily just throw our clothes and wash them overnight in the unit. Staff was unbelievably friendly, bilingually proficient, the breakfast was delicious both at the Indigo beach club and Imprevist which we highly recommend. Even the towel guys were the kindest people ever, and took the time to make sure you were comfortable and care to clean your sunglasses like they were washing their cars until it sparkled and shined. I swear my ray bans have never been so clean.

Unfortunately my clutch which had my credit cards/ID/towel card was stolen (not sure if at the hotel, complicated story) on the last day which put a damper on my mood, but the hotel was more than understanding and accommodated in the best way that they could. So side note: watch your stuff! I was probably too relaxed after such a wonderful stay.

the only thing that would make this stay better would be to get rid of the boats at the beach so we could swim, and to provide shuttle service to the airport!

Room Tip: Understand the layout - see my review
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marcia L
Dear Marcia L,

Thank you for this very detailed review. I am glad to hear that our staff was prompt to provide a solution due to an AC problem. This is exactly the kind of service we do at El Taj because we want to provide the best service and make all our guest happy. All our rooms are very well equip of Kitchen appliances, Water as well as washing machine/dryer to make you feel comfortable as if it was your own home in Paradise. Our staffs are well trained, bilingual and carefully selected so we can serve you the best service. It is also nice to hear that your dining experience with Indigo and Imprevist Restaurant was amazing.
I am sorry to hear about losing your personal belongings. Our staffs are aware and are well trained to protect our guest belongings as much as we can but sometimes unfortunate things can happen. We do advise all our guests to be always careful wherever they maybe.
I do understand your concerns about the small fishing boat docked infront of El Taj Hotel. We try our best to be honest and upfront with all our guests o our website and feature a live web cam of the beach and the boats. I think you deserve an explanation about the boats as we look at in 2 different ways. The first is the charm that i brings to the area similar to a European fishing village speckled with small fishing boats along the coast. I am sure you got to know that Playa was an old fishing community and we see it as a reminder of the past. The second thought is that these are some of the original fisherman. Even though we can flex our muscle and try to have them removed, we don't have the heart to take away their livelihood and most of the guests we spoke with don't mind walking a few yards where there are very few boats. I hope you realized there are some wonderful swimming areas located only a few feet away. But I understand if you're looking for a clear beach directly in front of our hotel it is not something we can offer at this time. At the moment we don't provide our own shuttle service at the hotel but we can call other shuttle services for you whenever you need it. Just tell the front desk and you will helped asap.
I do hope that our staff made you aware that we do have alternative to our trendy beach club? We offer our affiliated beach clue located few kilometers o the beaten path that has miles of uninhibited sandy beach. I looking forward to seeing you back soon on your next visit. Thank you again for staying at El Taj Hotel.

Jack Pearlman, Owner Condo Hotels
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Great location. Excellent service. Nice to have use of gym and beach club. Breakfast at the restaurant on the beach is terrific. Service excellent. Everyone friendly and helpful
Only negative is having boats docked in front of the beach access so difficult to swim immediately in front of the condo's.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view in building 1 close to the beach
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Condohotels, Jack Perlman,Owner Managing Partner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Loren P.

I thank you so much for staying at El Taj Hotel during your holiday in Playa del Carmen. I am glad to hear that you had enjoyed all the amenities we offer including the gym and beach club. All the staff in El Taj are well trained to give an excellent service to all our guest.

About the small fishing boat docked infront of El Taj Hotel. We try our best to be honest and upfront with all our guests o our website and feature a live web cam of the beach and the boats. I think you deserve an explanation about the boats as we look at in 2 different ways. The first is the charm that i brings to the area similar to a European fishing village speckled with small fishing boats along the coast. I am sure you got to know that Playa was an old fishing community and we see it as a reminder of the past. The second thought is that these are some of the original fisherman. Even though we can flex our muscle and try to have them removed, we don't have the heart to take away their livelihood and most of the guests we spoke with don't mind walking a few yards where there are very few boats. I hope you realized there are some wonderful swimming areas located only a few feet away. But I understand if you're looking for a clear beach directly in front of our hotel it is not something we can offer at this time. I hope our staff informed you that we also have another trendy beach club as an alternative if the boats happen to disturb you. We offer our affiliated beach club located a few kilometers off the beaten path that has miles of uninhibited sandy beaches.

I hope you return soon and please tell your friends about us!

Belize
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Great place ... Location is excellent rooms are beautiful an well equipped . Indigo beach club was great loved the beach an lounge area food an drinks excellent ..... Service excellent ! I have no complaints ... Can't wait to go back . Thank you el Taj staff

• Stayed May 2013
Condohotels, Jack Perlman Owner,Managing Partner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear CitaBelize,

Thank you so much for choosing El Taj and pointing out our excellent rooms. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and lounge at Indigo. Our staffs are very well trained and carefully selected to provide the best service.

I am glad to hear that you can't wait to come back and stay with us on your next visit and perhaps tell your family and friends about our Hotel.

Georgia
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed in a beachfront unit with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths for 5 nights. It was clean, spacious, and well appointed. The bed was quite comfortable and the unit was quiet. We made use of the gym which was well equipped. The beach was steps away from our condo and the beach service was great! Like what other reviews have said, the only drawback is the boats parked in front of the beach. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear scarletlettera,

Thank you for choosing El Taj Hotel while visiting Playa del Carmen. All our rooms are well equipped to feel comfortable during your stay with us. I am glad to hear that everything is great and comfortable and up to your expectations.

I do understand your concerns about the small fishing boat docked infront of El Taj Hotel. We look at the fisherman's boat more as a charm of the scenery but your concerns are understandable. I hope you realized there are some wonderful swimming areas located only a few feet away. I hope that the staffs had informed you about another trendy beach club alternative for you to enjoy in case the boats bothers you. We offer our affiliated beach clue located few kilometers o the beaten path that has miles of uninhibited sandy beach.

I am glad to hear that you are looking forward to coming back to stay with us again soon. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We are a family of 4 (with two small boys) from a Central European country. We had the pleasure to spend our vacation (two weeks) in two superb Condos Hotels, first in Maya Villa and then in El Taj Beachside. We had penthouse apartments in both cases with all those great features and amenities others have already described before us. No question, these apartments did satisfy all our needs for comfort along with top quality services, including perfectly clean maintenance. On top of all, we could experience and enjoy an exceptionally friendly atmosphere and tactful personal care all along our stay. We feel obliged to say special thanks to the whole staff through Miguel Hernandez, our favorite Front desk Manager for this perfect experience. Even before getting back to our home I already had to make a commitment to my family to revisit this great place again, hopefully early next year.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family