“AMAZING!!!!”

Ranked #35 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Hoboken, New Jersey
“AMAZING!!!!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

i travelled oct 15-22 to playa del carmen. the weather was absolutely perfect , extremely hot but definitely blue skies /sun all week. El Taj was amazing and beautiful and right on the OCean. as soon as you walk in you get the feeling of relaxation and tranquility . Service was impeccable. The hotel is close to everything in Playa del Carmen. We never needed a cab. Fifth ave where all the shopping, rest, and nightlife is is right around the corner. The entire staff was great. Marco at checkin /checkout was great. Pedro loves to clean your sunglasses everyday and ask Preguntas (inside joke with him) Miguel is right by your side whether your falling or need the umbrella. Alfonso and Crispen are the best servers on the beach and will get you whatever you want. For a boutique hotel , i felt the service was absolutely incredible. The best i have ever received on any vacation at any hotel. i have always stayed in big exclusive resorts but this time i was very impressed with El Taj being a boutique hotel. You cannot beat the service you will receive at El Taj. Also, for breakfast we really enjoyed going to Imprevist which is around the corner. We felt the food there was better than at the beach club. We actually took turns going to both places. Indigo beach club was a great time for during day or night . We really enjoyed the Beach club as well.
i cannot wait to go back and am already planning my next trip and stay to El Taj in June.

Room Tip: i stayed in one of the best rooms besides the penthouse and that would be unit 332, Every window ha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mcp1021
Condohotels, Managing Partner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear mcp1021,

Thank you for such a shining review.

I really appreciate your kind words about our exclusivity and service, because we ourselves believe that we differ from all the all-inclusive hotels on most counts - by our personalized service, intimate environment, attention to every detail, and treating all guests as kings and queens. We take every comment or request deep to our hearts, and do everything to provide the best service - for example, we recently finished installing triple-insulated windows so that our bedrooms are completely quiet now, even though we are located in the most desirable downtown area with all the entertainment and nightlife just around the corner.

I am glad you enjoyed Indigo and Imprevist for breakfast - next time, you can also try Imprevist for the best gourmet dinner in town, and Indigo Beach Club for a free Manager's Dinner with live music every Sunday.

We will be waiting for your return.

Jack Perlman, Managing Partner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Doesn't matter where you've stayed before, if you are looking for that very rare blend of an "in-town" location combined with a beachfront, full service resort, this is your place. Great service, clean and very modern rooms.
When we arrived, we were met by Erick Perez, who began the trip in the best fashion with courtesy. He continued to provide service the rivals Four Season's quality.
The security and staff was amazing. For example, Pedro was so very good at making us feel so welcome that I actually went to say hello to him even if I wasn’t heading toward his area.
I hurt my foot and Miguel, who was a EMT, took such care of me that I didn’t miss a beat.
I don't think I've ever yearned to go back to a place before as I love variety, but I will go back. I told my wife I want to use this place as opposed to buying a time-share.
Best combination of service, location, and amenities that I've ever seen.

Room Tip: Some rooms are better than others as far as decor, etc. Ask when you book about this.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Titanitim
Condohotels, Managing Partner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Titanitim,

Thank you so much for your shining review and kind words about our staff.

We strive to create a happy environment at our property and it benefits the guests as well as our staff. Our staff would go to great lenghts to make sure your every need is met - they would reposition your umbrellas at the beach club, clean your sunglasses, and even offer free books to read and toys for kids.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our property and its atmosphere, and we all will be waiting for your return very soon!

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

From the very first moment out of the cab, I was impressed. The entrance to El Taj was beautiful. Check in was easy, the front staff were very accommodating... within minutes the six of us were guided up the stairs and into paradise. El Taj was very much inspired by Balinese architecture. The center of the hotel was very lushly landscaped and adorned with wood accents and thoughtful accessories. More than once I thought... "That would look great in my home..."

The suite was nicely appointed... everything you would expect from a luxury resort. Bosch appliances and marble... plenty of room for six girls (although one more bathroom would have been nice). Our view was decent for not being the end unit, the ocean was right there and sun rises were breathtaking!

The beach club was quite simply the highlight of our trip! Each morning started out the exact same way: breakfast (included) with our toes in the sand... a fantastic buffet and a menu... fresh juice and coffee... Yummy!! Then on to Crispin setting up our beach loungers and always checking in to make sure we were getting the perfect ratio of sun/shade/cocktails/nibbles. We felt like real VIPs!

Don't listen to the other posts about dirty fishing boats in front of the hotel. While it is true that boats are all along the waterline, they were clean and well kept and we found swimming to be just fine. Also, the dive boat was anchored right there... and with my dive spots less than 15 minutes away... I found this to be very convenient!

Nightlife was walking distance from El Taj... What a cool town! We really enjoyed ourselves but when it was time to call it a night, it was great to know that the hotel was only a block away. I always felt safe but keep in mind that 5th is a shopper's dream but shop keepers can be very persistent, especially to women... It can get old fast saying "no, gracias" a million times! Shop in pairs or as a group to lessen the burden!

I can't say enough about how special this trip was... I could have spent my 40th birthday anywhere in the world... I'm so glad I chose Playa Del Carmen and El Taj.

Tips:
Secure shuttles before arriving at the airport... The web is full of them... But don't prepay... Just reserve... We had to track down ours for about 45 minutes... Keep calm and if at least one person has a cell that works... You'll be fine. It's WAY cheaper, ours was around $60 total one way and we were able to confirm individual shuttles for the trip back.

Almost every place takes dollars and credit cards. If you do plan to use credit cards, always bring your ID. They require you to have it. Maybe get 100 USD in pesos only... For smaller souvenirs, it's easier to just use pesos.

El Taj has wifi for a single charge... Very worth it. But they also offer FREE international calling to and from the room... I was amazed by this. I was able to FaceTime every day from anywhere on the property!

Bring your gym shoes because the FREE gym is AWESOME. Seriously, it's like something out of NYC. Yoga, Pilates and spin... really first class... And right around the corner from El Taj.

El Taj has a great spa... And I'm sure the massages are incredible... BUT... (Sorry Taj) save your money for drinks on the beach because directly to the right of the beach club (facing the club from the beach) is a family run massage set up that is amazing. 70 minute massages for 17 bucks. $25 every morning after breakfast but before sunning made me one relaxed birthday girl!!! Lily is VERY talented... Ask for her!

Please visit this wonderful place!!!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Madesign007
Dear Madesign007,

Thank you for you kind words and for your choice to spend your 40th birthday with us!

It gives me a great pleasure to hear that you felt at home at El Taj, because this is the sensations we strive to create for our guests – that our property is your luxurious home-away-from-home.

What a great idea for the six of you to travel together – the hotel is perfect for groups of friends as yours. Just to add, besides the beach club where our beach attendants will accommodate your specific needs and reposition your umbrellas throughout the day, besides our free gym (by the founders of Equinox in the States) for our guests, a Spa and other services, we also have a brand new gourmet restaurant, Imprevist... or you can try and treat yourself to your own personal private chef who would cook your dinner for you and your friends in your unit.

If you are looking for more things to do (even though being on the beach and next to 5th Avenue is very exciting already), next time you can also talk to our concierge, who would arrange any kind of adventure trips for you – snorkeling, diving, jungle zip lining, visits to Mayan ruins and so on.

I also wanted to inform you that even if El Taj is located right in the middle of all the action of Playa del Carmen that makes our location so exclusive, we have just finished installing triple inslulated windows, so each bedroom is hundred percent quiet with no outside noise entering at all.

Please come back soon!

Ontario
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at El Taj from Oct 6 to 13 in condo 315, a roof top terrace on the beachside.

We had pre booked transportation with USA Transfer which cost 69 US. The taxi back to the airport was 500 pesos.

We arrived and were instantly greeted on the road. We were taken to a check in area. Everything was explained to us in great detail. We were given a coupon card, towel cards, breakfast vouchers, a map and information on restaurants, bars etc in the area. After this was completed we were escorted to our condo and given a thorough walkthrough with explanations of how everything worked, even things we didn’t think of. The service on arrival was excellent and stayed the same throughout the week. Anything that was requested was done quickly and properly. Really unbelievable service. We have stayed at many higher end all inclusive resorts but this is probably the best service ever. At breakfast it was not uncommon to see the servers running from the kitchen area to the tables, actually running.

The beach side has a quiet narrow road between it and the main (oceanfront) El Taj. It took only a few minutes to get from our condo to the beach and breakfast. There are a lot of stairs up to condo 315 and more stairs up to the roof top, no elevators on this side. The condo looked like the pictures I had viewed prior to arrival. The kitchen seemed to be furnished with all that one would require for cooking although we ate most meals out opting only for a light snack in the afternoon in the condo. The complex includes dishwasher soap, laundry detergents, large bottled water, ice, a few soaps, shampoos etc. Supplied in the condo for an extra cost are beer, wine, pop, juice, coffee and snacks. This is a beautifully landscaped complex with lots of foliage. It is well taken care of and maintenance was continuously being done. I had debated between this roof top unit or one in the oceanfront building. I choose this condo as it looked like it had more privacy, which it did. The one thing this condo was missing was a beach view. We enjoy spending time on our balcony and prefer privacy and a great view. I am not sure if any of the two bedrooms would have given me the view I was looking for which is a head on, no obstructions, direct beach view. Most of the rooms offer just a glimpse of the water. I think it is only the larger units that are on the ends that would offer the type of view I would have liked. Our condo was pricey considering it was low season being Oct so even if available the end units would have been beyond our budget. We spent some time on our roof top but would probably not rent this type of room again. The temperatures were 30 degrees and up to 40 or more with the humidity so using the hot tub was never a thought, a splash pool would have been useful. I don’t think for us it was worth the additional expense. It would have been nicer to have a regular room with a balcony on the front and back so we could choose shade or sun whichever we wanted. The balcony on the main level was not covered so was not useable during rain or full hot sun. The walkway to our roof top terrace was not covered so if it rained we were stuck in the condo or on the roof top wherever we were when the rain started. We were there in Oct so there was more rain than usual.

The service at the beach club is excellent as well. We were followed to the chairs we choose and an umbrella was put in the ground for us. We found one umbrella did not protect the two of us from the mid afternoon hot sun. The only alternative we found was shade around the pool but there are only a handful of chairs and often they were already occupied. The chairs on the beach cannot be moved, are very close together and are on the ground so a little awkward to get on and off depending on your age. I had read about the fishing boats prior to our arrival and thought they wouldn’t bother me. Since it was so hot I would have liked to cool off often while laying out, I found it an inconvenience walking down to another location for a quick dip.

The location is very close to 5th Ave and this street is a complete blast. Lots of interesting walking with restaurants, bars stores etc. In the evenings we found bars with live bands one night jazz, another classic rock, far better than the shows offered at all inclusives. The Mega and Walmart were both about a 10 to 15 minute easy stroll away.

This area offered most everything we look for and I would love to return. We may give up a little on service but we checked out other condos and did find some that were easier on our budget and offered a usable beach with balconies that had a head on, unobstructed beach view, our two main priorities, so we would probably choose one of these.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tooteep
Dear tooteep,

Thank you for such an extensive review of El Taj Beachside!

We are really proud of our staff, and we keep hearing a lot of enthusiastic guest comments about the level of service they provide. Our goal is to provide a 5-star experience and to make sure that the needs of each guest is met before it even comes to their minds.

Speaking about the beach club, you can always ask the beach attendants for whatever you need – a different position for your chairs, an extra umbrella, free sunscreen, books to read... They would even clean your sunglasses with the special cleaning machine and will move your umbrella throughout the day to accommodate you in the shade.

I also understand that a direct beach view and price is a big determining factor for many guests. El Taj Oceanfront offers many unobstructed views of the beach and our Beachside property offers some units with indirect views in a lush tropical setting. We encourage you to call our office directly on our toll free number and we will help you select the best unit that best suits you.

I hope you come back soon!

Culiacan, Mexico
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The bed was so comfy,
Perfect for a trip with friends,3 rooms, a terrace with a big Jacuzzi, the only problem was that the water of the Jacuzzi wasn't hot, and we couldn't get it fix it, beside that everything was exellent
I loved the modern decoration.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MaJoGa82
Dear MaJoGa82,

Thank you for your review!

I am glad you came to visit us with your friends – indeed, our hotel is perfect for groups and families, as each unit has multiple bedrooms and private terraces with Jacuzzis. We also make sure that all the details are of the highest standards – and that includes our beds, sheets, flat screen TVs, modern equipment in the kitchen, toiletries in the bathroom, and all the elements of décor.

As for the Jacuzzi water, it is pretty easy to regulate the temperature, please just ask the front desk next time.

We are looking forward to your return.

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I am writing this review pretty late, but I still wanted to give my opinion. The hotel itself is very nice, great location near everything. The room service (or lack of) is mediocre. Either you had to call a couple of hours before to place your order or plan on eating out on the town. The breakfast wasn't the best either, but it also wasn't the worse. The rooms were very spacious and clean. We felt comfortable there. The beach was nice. There are boats docked there which I didn't mind, but you can't swim right in front of the hotel. We took our 9 and 10 year olds. However, after staying there, I wouldn't recommended this property for families. Rather there other property across the street. Overall the staff was nice, the rooms lovely and a desirable location-if you like to be close to everything. El Taj was nice and I would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view. Remember the first floor is really considered the second.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank serenity4me83
Condohotels, Managing Partner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear serenity4me83,

Thank you for your review, and I am glad you left with a good impression of our property - our guests usually indeed want to return once they stay with us.

As for the room service take-in, we cannot control it, unfortunately, because the food orders you place go to external restaurants, and it depends on how busy they are at that moment. They usually take care of each order as fast as they can. In addition, as you mention, there are dozens of outdoor restaurants just steps away on 5th Avenue, and, if you wish to eat in your unit, you can also try the services of our private chef, who will cook a gourmet dinner for you right in your own private kitchen.

I am glad to hear you felt comfortable at El Taj with your family, as many other families have. At the same time, El Taj Oceanfront is located right on the beach, and it has a lively atmosphere in front, even if the hotel itself is very tranquil, as I am sure you have noticed. In fact, we have just finished installing triple insullated windows in our units, for example, that block out any external noise.

However, I do agree that some families, who are seeking more privacy, select the sister property next door, El Taj Beachside, which offers more seclusion, and where every unit is surrounded by tropical greenery, ponds with fish and waterfalls, making each unit very private.

We are looking forward to hosting you and your family soon!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our seven days at El Taj were fun and restful. What we appreciate most is the sense of natural beauty and serenity we felt everytime we walked through the big doors to the resort each evening. This is a boutique resort, small enough to feel cozy but complete with jacuzzis, pool, beach club and restaurant. The staff is first class. The food and service at the Indigo restaurant were very good. The tables and umbrellas are right on the sand so we ate at a leisurely pace, enjoying the view of the beach and the breeze off the water. The one bedroom condo was comfortable with a good sized living room and kitchen combo. . We also highly recommend the related restaurant just down the street called Impreviste. The food and service were the best we had in Playa del Carmen. We plan to return to El Taj and Impreviste next year. Can't wait!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bcrisp2
Condohotels, Managing Partner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear bcrisp2,

Thank you for your beautiful review.

I am very glad you enjoyed El Taj so much - it was exactly our vision to have this oasis of serenity, beauty and luxury in the middle of Playa del Carmen. We are obsessively attentive to detail, and make sure all our guests are treated as roaylties. For example, we have just finished installing triple insulated windows to make sure all our bedrooms are completely noise free - as you know, we are located in the liveliest part of the town, a block away from the 5 Avenue and all the action, but our property is always tranquil and peaceful.

We all are looking forward to your return!