“Not What it Used to Be!”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #48 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Mt Laurel
“Not What it Used to Be!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Back from 2 weeks of my 5th annual vacation to the Royal Haciendas. It's been a slow decline from the exemplary service of previous years. The biggest problem is the poor internet service which is posted as "free". If you want to try to read your emails it is free (and painfully slow). Otherwise it is $79 per device per week! So if my villa has 6 guests, all with at least 1 device (cell phone, iPad, laptop, etc) we will ALL be paying for better connectivity. As an owner I find this deplorable. We are in the 21st century. Starbucks and Panera have free hi-speed internet...can't this resort? In addition, service at all of the restaurants was lethargic. The wait-staff remains the same and they are lovely, but there appears to be a decrease in the number of staff. I shouldn't have to wait 20 minutes to just get a menu at the poolside restaurant. This was followed by a 40 minute wait to get a Ceaser salad. We killed an hour at this restaurant when we thought we'd be having a quick lunch then back to the pool. The quality of the food remains above average except for Los Morelos, but the service has lost it's elegance. Many features of previous years (table side food prep) have been eliminated since becoming an "all-inclusive" as well. Watch out for the hot-tubs which now double as kiddie-pools despite adult-only signage. The rooms are looking tired with nicks and scratches and peeling paint. The resort needs to decide if it's going to be a time-share or an all-inclusive...it's unknown identity has removed it's character and charm.

11 Thank RobinMtLaurel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,013)
  • Greek first
Ankeny, Iowa, United States
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Royal Haciendas is an exceptional place to stay. The area is well maintained and the staff
is well trained and willing to assist in any way. I would highly recommend this resort, not because I am an owner, because it truely is a garden spot which everyone should have the opportunity to experience.

1 Thank Michael A
Cristóbal G, Community Manager at The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking time to post this kind words about our facilities.

We're convinced: our staff is very important and we're glad you noticed the hard work they do by keeping everything in order.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again here at your home away from home.

Best Regards.

Cristóbal Galindo
Community Manager
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 19, 2013

As a returning member, I was somewhat disappointed this trip. Still the same great service and manicured property, but it seemed that there were fees for everything, and I don't remember that from previous trips. As mentioned, the internet was painfully slow, so much so that I waited to write this from the airport as I wait for my plane! It was so slow that uploading any kind of map was basically impossible, and I would only check email and go online if I were also watching TV or had some other distraction. It was possible to purchase faster service, but expensive. Other disappointing fees were 8.00 to use the exercise room/equipment per day or 38.00 for the week. Printing our boarding pass on the last day was a 5.00 fee unless we agreed to do a TripAdvisor review, and we were given instructions on how to do that and then print the boarding pass, but even then we would have been charged for 10 pesos (about 80 cents) for each sheet of paper! The luggage scale in the lobby was "coin operated" as well, so we just waited to print our boarding passes and weigh luggage until we arrived at the airport. I'd like to say that I am not cheap, and could easily have paid for these services, but as a member was disappointed that they were not included; I was just annoyed with them. We paid thousands of dollars for our membership and spent also several hundred dollars on food and beverages during our week's stay. I understand that they need to generate revenue, but in retrospect it made the "Welcome home" greetings that we received on the first day seem less than genuine. Also disappointing was the hot tub, which never did seem to really get hot, but was more like a warm pool with jets.

All things considered, we did enjoy the vacation. The room was very nice and the bed was super-comfortable. I can no longer say that I would recommend purchasing a membership to friends, however; I just felt too nickel and dimed on this trip.

6 Thank Mimi_MN1966
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The worst Intenet service in Playa. Trying to charge $79 per device for "free internet" otherwise the internet is so slow you cant use it.

Per device. I had a laptop, phone, iPad for the 4 people in villa. They wanted $79 per device per week!

Turned a great time share into all inclusive with drunk people.

Took away great food and now have less than good food.

Hot tubs are filled with kids, babies.

They gave 2 of 4 tubs called hot tubs and made them for children. Kids don't belong in hot tubs. Now all adults try to cram into tubs which also happen to be cold. They should call them tepid (if you are lucky) tubs.

Beautiful place that has become a rip off

Room Tip: All rooms identical. Penthouse units quieter.
5 Thank Terri L
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Hello, i was staying at the royal playa del Carmen, and was the best days ever the hotel was good, but the entertainment, staff at the pool and sports activities, was the best was Danny and Azu they Whas the best ones!!! Thanks for keep us having fun every day

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Jcar10s
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 17, 2013

6th year of going to the RH on week 51. The place continues to really be everything a family needs for a week of R&R. My kids love this place and the adults are pretty happy as well. The place is busy and going the all inclusive route seems to have slowed the service a bit. That was the one thing I noticed this year is that everything seemed to take a little longer. Unless your sitting at the pool bar of course! The hot tubs still aren't hot enough and the wifi still is hit or miss but that was all right. The hot tub on my oceanfront unit was plenty hot and I didn't mind being a bit out of touch. Love this place. A short cab ride to PDC and its plethora of street cafes and restaurants makes it all the better. This place keeps getting better... Still feels like Mexico should feel.... A great Vacation week!

Room Tip: All rooms are great with ocean views. Phase 2 side seems a bit quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is the third year I have joined my son and his family at the Royal Haciendas, and each year I've enjoyed it more and more. The resort itself is beautiful and beautifully maintained. The staff, in all respects (front desk, dining, housekeeping, recreation) have been outstanding. The fact that it is very much family oriented makes it especially comfortable.

The shop in the lobby is most convenient and well stocked with items needed during our stay, while the staff there is also most helpful and courteous.

All in all, I feel blessed to have enjoyed my week long visits at the Haciendas. Thank you for providing a perfect vacation spot. Nancy Keefe

Room Tip: Rooms are chosen by my other family members. They have all been fine.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family