“LOVE THE ROYALS”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #48 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Sands in Cancun hotel zone for our honeymoon in April. We loved it so much we bought a time share, sight unseen, at the Royal Haciendas in Playa del Carmen. The week we bought was for September so I went back with friends! Mexico twice in 1 yr was amazing. I love the resort. The room was so nice, huge master bedroom, jacuzzi on the balcony, kitchen had all high end amenities, no bathtub, but the shower was a huge open tiled concept, really nice. Everything about the room and resort was very clean, everyone was very friendly, spa on site was amazing as I expected (went twice!) The beach restaurat La Palapa del Sol was OK but Los Murales was AMAZING!!! So close to 5th Ave, loved being 10 minutes from all the restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: all rooms have great views because the resort is right on the beach. my time share is an ocean view...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kimberly m

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our family have been coming the Haciendas for five years now and there is only high praise about this place. The Haciendas staff definitely make you feel like your are home. The Villas are amazing and spacious and with all the amenities as being at home. The staff is very friendly and very informative when it comes to what to do when you are in Mexico. Amazing place to come and relax and enjoy with your family.

Room Tip: The closer to the ocean the better.....
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gerald0727
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Family always enjoys coming to the Haciendas. We enjoy the town of Playa del Carmen and surrounding beachs we go to. The Royal Hacienda staff/employees work hard at keeping this property spotless. There are always workers clipping, cleaning, painting, mowing etc. to maintain the beauty of this place. Pools are awesome, the beach is clean and very nice. Nice part of the ocean to swim in. We got snorkel gear from the pool side activity center and used a kayak. Our 2 bedroom villa is always so nice.

Room Tip: Loved being on the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The resort and the rooms are outstanding. It is the cleanest resort that I have ever been to. The rooms were huge and the balcony was fantastic! The activities team did a great job and the staff in general were all very nice and very helpful. We used the free shuttle to Playa 4 times for dinner which was a great asset. The food and service by the pool was very good but the food at the beachside restaurant for dinner was below average for both food and customer service. We only ate there once as a result and it was the most expensive and worst meal that we had all week. The only other small issue was with the bell staff. They would not call us a taxi to the highway where we wanted to catch a collectivo. It turned into an argument over safety and price and we finally set out on foot.

The positives far outweigh the negatives and we would love to return. Unfortunately, the new all inclusive plan may prevent us from doing so because we enjoyed the dinners in Playa far more than the one at the resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandymish
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was NOT impressed!

A few of our issues:

I called in advance to inquire about babysitting services (as advertised as being offerred on their website) and confirmed I could handle upon arrival. Upon arrival, I asked three different employees for information re scheduling babysitting and received three different answers. I finally learned that babysitting was only available on Sundays and after 6 pm all other days since it is generally the housekeepers who watch children. I was advised that there was a nanny service in Cancun I could contact but was reminded that I would be charged for the call since it was long distance. WHAT???? This from a resort that touts itself as "FAMILY-FRIENDLY"???? Ridiculous!

The day we arrived, we ordered a crib for our two-year old. A very small crib was delivered which seemed suitable for an infant. We called the front desk and asked if a larger crib was available. They said yes and we explained that since our daughter was already asleep (it was 9:30 pm), could we have it delivered the next day to which they agreed. Three calls followed from the front desk trying to understand what exactly we wanted. There were other incidents similar to this -- one day we sat on our patio all day (we had a beach front villa) and counted no less than 8 interruptions (either someone at the door or phone calls). If I've asked for something, I completely understand why I'm being interrupted but while I'm on vacation, I appreciate the chance to relax.

We stayed for two weeks. After the first week, we thought it a good idea to return all of our sports equipment (snorkels, beach towels, etc.) and start fresh. We were accused of having a face mask for our two-year old that we didn't have. We could only rectify the situation by bringing all of our equipment to the sports desk so they could sort through it which seemed very odd.

We thought it would be a good idea to check out the day before our departure (which is offerred by the resort in order to prevent crowds). We were informed that we could not check out since one of the beach towels we returned to the sports desk contained "dirt" (not doubt from the beach) and it was in the laundry. After spending two weeks at this resort and spending in excess of $3,000 (not including what we paid for the room), our check out is being delayed because of a $12.00 towel??? This just doesn't make sense to me.

And, finally, internet reception is virtually non-existent (even in the lobby).

We will not be back -- this resort was much too much work for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front room -- it will help to make up for other deficiencies!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ASFGiantFan
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I just returned home from The Royal Haciendas and it had to be the most relaxing vacation that I had in awhile. My room was perfect and directly on the beach. I never liked being on the first floor before but to be able to walk down a few steps right on the beach was wonderful. Of course all the rooms and patios and balcony's at Royal Resorts are large but the decor at the Haciendas was a few notches upscale. The property is beautiful and has plenty of comfortable seating and hammocks. There are 4 or 5 pools and two Jacuzzi's that unfortunately were never even close to warm but I guess that is what the tub on the patio is for. The food and service at Los Morales was very good but I found the dinner buffet and a la carte menu at the other restaurant to be lacking. I never had breakfast there so I can't comment. I did find that everyone working at the resort would look you right in the eye, smile and say Hola which was very refreshing and welcoming. I would love to go back today but from my understanding they will be going all inclusive which might work for some people but I like using the fully equipped kitchens and dining out when I choose plus I found some of the food quality questionable. The hotel location is great for playing in the ocean but pretty far removed from the town with stores and restaurants.

Room Tip: First floor ocean front was a big plus for me. Going in the middle of September probably made that...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank mzcurvin
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I rented in on Week 35 and loved the location. We are frequent travelers to the area but usually stay in small boutique hotels in town. The problem with that is you can't get away from 5TH Ave. Don't get me wrong I love 5th Ave, just in moderation. We found the property to be well located only 10 minute free shuttle ride to town and about 10.00 USD for the cab ride back if you pay in pesos. The food was excellent what we did eat at the hote. The market is a bit overpriced making it worth the trip to Wal-Mart or Mega in town. The best part of this is being able to bring your own cooler out to the beach, saving tons of money. Not having to pay for beach chairs was also a big plus we are not used to. We stayed in Room E137A and loved it, the room was walk out right to the beach, making it easy to go and refill your margaritta or beer. We loved it so much we are in the process of purchasing a unit, to avoid the coming AI Fees. We would highly recommend renting a unit direct from an owner to avoid the AI as the selection of food is not worth what they are asking for AI Fees, that along with the many fine places to eat In Playa... make it not worth renting from resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple