“A treasure to discover”
Review of Hotel LunaSol

Quebec City, Canada
“A treasure to discover”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We got to playa with no plan. We were very please to find this place. Victor, the person at the reception was very nice. The whole set up of the hotel is perfect!!! Parking right in front of the hotel. Coffee in the morning. The pool area with the kitchen is very nice. While staying at the hotel you can enjoy their beach club right on the beach so even if the hotel is not by the beach you get all the benefits, We will go back for sure, really lovely!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
HotelLunaSol, Owner at Hotel LunaSol, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Vero,

That's lovely from you to have take a moment to write this review.
I'm glad that Victor made your stay with us memorable.
I'm happy that you enjoyed our beach club. We choose the best one for our guest.
I hope that we'll have the chance to welcome you again in our little paradise soon!

Nancy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2011

After having a wonderful stay here in November 2009, we re-booked for November 2010, and had just as great an experience. The hotel is very well-kept, the grounds are beautiful and the pool is very clean and inviting. With the outdoor, covered kitchen beside the pool, one can start their day with your own breakfast and cook a dinner later if you like. This is a great option to save a few dollars on your food costs.
Rolande and Robert and their staff, who speak English, French and Spanish, are working very hard to satisfy each guest's needs and truly are achieving their goal.
This is truly a hidden gem that is located perfectly a short walk away from the busy 5th Avenue, yet close enough to all your beach and restaurant needs.
We are already planning our next trip and our 2011 escapes to Luna Sol, an amazing home away from home. Thanks again for a superb experience and making our holiday memorable!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelLunaSol, Owner at Hotel LunaSol, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Dear Corinne and Gervais,
It has been our pleasure to have you with us again this year.
Thanks a lot for taking your time to write us such a good review.
We really appreciate it.
Like you said, here it's your homeaway and you are always welcome!
See you in again soon,

Dundas, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I always prefer smaller hotels like Luna Sol so I get a more “authentic” feel for the place I’m visiting. There are many reasons why LunaSol’s perfect for this. Its location is excellent – very close to Playa’s many nice cafes, restaurants, bars, shops of all kinds, etc. and also only a few short blocks from a marvelous beach which stretches for miles along the turquoise Caribbean. LunaSol itself is in a tranquil location even though it’s in the busy heart of Playa.

LunaSol’s been completely renovated and has about 16 rooms – most/all have small patio or balcony areas (but not all are private). A half dozen rooms overlook a pretty garden setting with a small pool and hot tub backed by a soothing waterfall. Decorated in warm Mexican colours, guest rooms and common areas are simple but immaculate. I had a second-floor room with high ceilings, overlooking the pool and with a small private balcony. Even with two double beds (quite firm mattresses), mini fridge, and adequate closet space, it felt spacious. It had a large bath area (no tub but huge shower). I was readily supplied ironing equipment. Beside the pool, there’s an al fresco kitchen equipped with pots, cutlery, dishes, microwave, fridge, stove and a pleasant eating area. The owners and staff who I got to know (Ramonde, Nancy, Victor & Jose) were truly exceptional – friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and simply charming. They were also extremely caring when I suffered a brief illness. English, French, and Spanish are spoken - and likely other languages too as guests come from afar. I’m a solo traveller and, importantly, felt very safe at the Hotel and in Playa day or night. Luna Sol was my Playa oasis and I’d highly recommend it! Rooms overlooking the pool when lots of kids are about are a bit noisy but this could be avoided by taking a room not directly poolside. I still prefer second floor, poolside for the view.

Playa is the loveliest of the many Mexican resorts I’ve visited, about an hour’s drive south of the Cancun international airport. Not so long go, Playa was a small fishing village, known mainly as the place to catch the ferry to Cozumel (a snorkeling/diving heaven about a half hour’s ferry boat trip offshore). Today, the coast from Cancun south to Tulum is home to many new resorts, often luxe” but large. I liked that resorts/condo complexes around Playa itself tend to be low-rise and built back on the beach, so don’t dominate the scenery as they do in many other beach resorts. The beach, open to the public, feels very uncrowded and clean. Aside from the historic Mayan ruins at Tulum, Coba and Chitzen Itza, there are also many “adventure” type of activities nearby.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Dear Gail,

Thanks for your review...and thanks to specify that Playa del Carmen is a secure place.
With all the bad press that Mexico have right now internationaly, it's great that you inform people that here in Playa del Carmen it's different from other areas. Like I try to explain to people who are asking, if something happen to Vancover, it doesn't mean that Quebec is not safe! :)

Thanks also for your very detail description of our hotel. I'd like to specify that if somebody needs a softer matress, we can provide a foam to put under the sheets. We think that it's easier to put softer a bed then harder...so just please ask at the frontdesk if you want us to make your matress softer. For the hot tub of the pool.... let specify also that it's a jacuzi with the pool water, not a hot tub...

We hope that your little illness didn't affect your souvenirs of your vacations here... we are glad that you appreciate our help. Our guests are always our priority!

We hope to see you again next year!

Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed January 5, 2011

The staff at this hotel is amazing! Always helpful with that extra energy that gave our vacation something extra! Victor in the frontdesk gave us some perfekt tips and yes we saw the large seeturtles exactly on the spot he told us they use to be. And the small fishes in the cenote really did give our feet massage and pedicure! (We love special things like this in our family!)
The room was excellent and the kitchen and the poolarea was perfect to rest from beach and restaurants.
If I recommend Lunasol? You bet!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
HotelLunaSol, General Manager at Hotel LunaSol, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Dear Trimokasi,
I'm so glad to ear that you love our staff!
We always try to get the best one to be sure that your stay is going to be perfect!
The personal guest service is our priority!
We hope to welcome you soon again in our little paradise!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2011

It's excellent value for money here and we would definitely recommend it. The service and attention to detail is better than you get in some 5 star hotels even.
The best thing about it is the staff. Jorge on reception was in his first week in the job, but he's a great asset to his employers. He helped organise a trip for us and was always very quick to help us with anything we needed. We didn't always get that standard of service in other hotels where we were paying two or three times the price. Jose was also very friendly and helpful, as were the pool attendants and cleaners. It's as if the owners have a policy of employing nice people! It makes the difference between a good stay and an excellent one.
If you're looking at this place wondering whether it's a risk staying somewhere cheap and basic - don't be afraid! It's very clean, well managed, comfortable, friendly and a delightful place to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Anthony,
You are right on when you say that the hotel has a politic to hire nice people!
We think that service makes the difference... and it seems that we are true when we read your review!
Thank you so much to have take the time to right this nice review. We really appreciate it.
When you'll come back to Playa del Carmen, we trully hope to see you again!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 31, 2010

This quiet hotel has a lovely design and Mexican character, where you walk outdoors to get to the rooms. The warmth of oranges, peach, and browns reflects the name of this hotel. The rooms are spacious, with a fridge and tall ceilings, and the bathrooms are also quite large. There is a sweet little pool with fountain, although I did not see anyone get in it. Lounge chairs and a kitchen for you to cook in are right by the poolside. The kitchen area is impeccably clean. The hotel is owned by a Canadian couple, but I never saw them on site - their staff does a great job. Your room will have the coolest towel animals and some rose soap. The daytime staff is very friendly and helpful. Another perk is free filtered water for your whole stay! The beach and main shopping is right down the street, so it is the perfect location, and unlike other hotels in the area, it is also very quiet, other than people occasionally talking on their cute outdoor balconies. If you come at the right time, the hotel may have a special deal with a local beach club, which offers discounts on drinks and food, and free lounge chairs for you at the beach (and they treat you very well there). I truly enjoyed my stay here.

The only issue I had were some tiny ants in my bathroom and bedroom counter, that followed me after I left the hotel, but they were harmless and possibly only in my room. You should be aware that this part of Mexico does have bugs, like mosquitoes, and as this hotel is open and airy, you will likely come across some, but nothing big or scary. :) I was glad to learn that they don't use unhealthy, toxic sprays for this like some other hotels in the area do. Overall, this is a very clean hotel - probably better than any others in the same price range around town.

Playa del Carmen is a lot of fun, and the beach is sooo relaxing - I wish I had stayed longer. This hotel was great for couples or a solo traveler - not for big party-people (there are other hotels down the street for that). I loved staying at Hotel LunaSol, and will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Dear TravelinTango,

Thanks for your review.
We really appreciate it. I'm happy to see that you have enjoy your stay with us.

Unfortunately, december has been a little chilly this year... that's probably why there where not so much people using the pool... and why we have consume so much coffee! ;)

I feel very sad that you had some little ants in your room. Have you told the frontdesk about it?
Normally during the cleaning if the maid see some insect, she puts some products... but sometime it can happen that they don't see it... so we need that people tell us so that we can fix it. We do some regular fulmigation, biological products like you said....but sometimes we can have surprise. Like you said, here in Mexico with the weather that we have it's sure that we have more insects that in the cold countries. Also, one important thing is to never let food on the counters...there's a fridge in the room and everything should be keep in it. This recommendation is valid even for the big resort 5 stars! Even in my home, if I let a fruit on the counter there's some tiny ants that show up from I don't know where.

I'm glad that you said that even with this little situation you say that you will come back again to our hotel.

And please, to any readers... if you come at our hotel and there's a situation like this or any other situation, please tell the frontdesk right away so we could fix the situation. Don't be shy to tell us... our goal is that you have a perfect stay and we will do everything we can to accomplish that! YOU ARE OUR PRIORITY!

Dear TravelinTango we trully wish to welcome you again in our little paradise.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed December 30, 2010

A very beautiful and clean hotel with friendly staff who were fluent in English and knowledgeable in what's going on around the town.
There were only about 16 rooms in this small hotel and the one we stayed in (and I am sure that others as well) was very neatly decorated, the towels were made into cute shapes like a crocodile and the bathroom was huge, with a wall dividing the shower and the sink area.
The beds were large and clean.
There was a little home-run cafe place just around around the corner that offered cheap and delicious Mexican food, though the staff could not understand English neither was the menu in English. But a very nice and cheap place, where locals went.
The location of the hotel was two blocks from the hugely crowded 5th avenue and another block away from the Playa (beach), so it was very conveniently located.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelLunaSol, Manager at Hotel LunaSol, responded to this review, December 31, 2010
Dear Benshestar,

Thanks for your nice review.
I'm very happy that you had a good time in our hotel and that you've enjoyed our great location.

We wish you a very Happy New Year and an other stay with us for 2011!!