“Beautiful small hotel, too expensive”
Review of Hotel LunaSol

Hotel LunaSol
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I and my family of 3 stayed at this clean, pretty , little hotel for 3 days in February. There are many things I like about this hotel. It is small, pretty, and clean in a Mexican neighborhood about 3 blocks from the beach. The rooms are a good size with a nice balcony. The pool and common kitchen area is very nice and pretty. Drinking water in the lobby is very helpful. The 2 men working the desk, Ferdinand and Roberto, were absolutely wonderful, friendly, and helpful. The management is lucky to have front desk people like them who go above and beyond.
One thing I did not like was having to pay extra for my son. I can understand charging for a third unrelated person in a room. But to charge for teenage children makes it feel like you are being penalized for taking your child with you on vacation!
A couple suggestions, provide drinking water on the second level and in the pool/kitchen area. Provide a couple of basics in the kitchen for all guests, like oil, salt, pepper, and paper towels.
The pool area is very pretty and lush but the trees do not allow much sun back there. A little light trimming of trees would help.
Finally, provide backpacker beach chairs for guests to use at the beach.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel LunaSol

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Very pleasant stay at Hotel Luna Sol, Nancy is the perfect host! The pool was very refreshing after a long day of travel and the room was emmaculate! To make this a five star the water pressure and temperature was perfect in the shower, one of the best I have had in
Mexico! Thank you again Nancy!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChicagometroRetro
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have not been to Playa ,for 11 years . So we stopped in for a few days ,after 18 days in Belize. What a shock . We found fifth ave to be an over blown gringo trap . No thanks . And the beach smelled of sewer , .... BUT We loved our little hotel away from the clamour . Great helpful staff . Nice pool area . I wish i could say i will return . But as stated above I M O that town and coast is ruined.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Exceeded expectations in every department. Very friendly staff; beautiful and well-maintained building with spacious and well-designed rooms. But the reason for the 5 star review is the extra bits that went above & beyond -- for example the complementary bottle of wine waiting for us in our room, and the extremely helpful staff behind the front desk, who (for example) went out of their way to help us find a rental car when none seemed readily available in town. Good value as well. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JMB1981
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed one night only at the tail end of a business trip in Cancun. A friend and I rented a car and drove down for a day in Playa Del Carmen. We had a spot to park in front and were greeted with open arms. The first thing I noticed was how clean and bright it was inside. The room we stayed in had two double beds and had a patio door facing the pool on the ground level. Staff helped us track down a band we had hoped on catching while we were there and went way above and beyond to make us feel at home.

All the hustle and bustle of fifth avenue was close enough to walk to but we didn't hear much at night from in the room. What a place that fifth avenue is, btw... great food, beach, bars, street shops, did I mention the food?

Prior to this, we were on an all inclusive resort in Cancun for 5 days. 1 night at Hotel LunaSol in Playa del Carmen really finished the trip and I only wish that I could've stayed longer.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mike C
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I enjoyed my stay (2 Jan - 12 Jan) at Hotel LunaSol ~ it was a pleasant surprise for a 5 days stay based on traveller reviews and location from the ferry pier (about 5 blocks from the pier) as I was coming from Cozumel. I was so delighted that I extended my stay another 5 days once I arrived and settled in.

The rooms were clean, the hotel and grounds were absolutely charming and the location cannot be beat for this price (my stay was 5 days at their 'high' season price, the last 5 nights were less per night).

I found the beds a little firm ~ fairly common for a platform and mattress type of bed.
The toilet needed attention in the first room (#10), but the maid picked up on that and said she would tell someone - and a bench or chair in the room would have been nice.
The second room (#13) had a small bench and it was very handy - the shower in #13 was a little funky and care had to be taken when adjusting the water temperature.
The rooms have a small fridge and easy to use safe. There is ample closet and counter space in the room but the bathroom is pretty compact. The community kitchen by the pool is modern and spacious, with most utensils and crockery provided ~ a tea kettle would have been a nice amenity, but there was hot water on tap provided with the purified water dispenser... I brought it to boil in the microwave for tea and coffee.

Wifi was hit & miss ~ it was easier to go to the lobby than try and connect in the rooms. A bit of a nuisance to pack a laptop down to the lobby, only to find the signal wasn't strong enough for Skype in my two attempts. I did get along fine with an iPod and went to a nearby internet cafe with I uploaded a large volume of photos one day.

The location of this hotel is hard to beat - 2 blocks to 5 Avenida and all the hustle and bustle of the tourist hawkers and shops, another block beyond and you are at the beach. There are many places to eat in the area - the difficulty is choosing what you want to have and how formal or informal you want. The ADO bus terminal is a short walk, and the Wal-Mart & Mega are a couple blocks away.

The staff is accommodating and kind and are a great asset to Hotel Luna Sol. I felt like I was leaving family behind when it was time to come home.

I would include Hotel Luna Sol in any future travel plans to Playa del Carmen ~ and I will be recommending it on several travel forums including a solo female traveller site.

Room Tip: No fault of Hotel LunaSol. I was there during the BPM Festival ~ this is LOUD, trance/dance music a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2013

4 of us stayed here for 5 nights to ring in the new year. It was a great location within walking distance to food, bars, beach...etc. The room was big, clean and with a great porch over-looking the pool. The shower was huge with amazing water pressure. The kitchen (which is shared) is right next to the pool. It was convenient for making breakfast or having a snack. The staff was very friendly and attentive. They gave us good advice and even found us a bus schedule. There is as small pond of turtles when you walk in that automatically puts a smile on your face. Definitely recommend this spot!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends