“YES EXCELLENT ! but you dont believe...”

BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
Ranked #97 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Montreal, Canada
“YES EXCELLENT ! but you dont believe...”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Discussing in one world , poor service , poor food, poor hotel, poor room, poor Internet, and ...AND charlatans who wants to sell you time sharing for $8900 !!!

1- We were said that they want to offer us an offer so went to see what the offer was. After 3 hours wasting out time for time sharing offer which was stupid price , they offer us one week free in 3 star hotel if we buy food for 700$ , nice and this was their free offer ....
Avoid really these charlatans !!!

2- Safe and AC in the room was not working !!! They didn't care of any guest, Room was not cleaned well even with tip

3- Internet is poor and is per device , If you are 4 people in a room only one device has free internet and poor , you need to buy such poor internet for 2$ per day per device ... so If you have 3 other device you have to pay 60 $ for a poor internet - and it is said you have free internet

4- Take care of your wife and girlfriend all personnel are looking after girls and women like they didn't see any woman in their life

5- Allergy : Don't use any shampoo and Gel and lotion of hotel , it gives allergy

6- The personnel in the buffet with AC are so rude, the restaurants is the same, just the restaurant near the beach is better , they are some good people there

7- Infections: the first aide is very poor , there are a lot people who get injured because of stones in the sea and gets infected because bad bandage !!!

Enough ? Enough is Enough ,,,

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alr856

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,990)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Montreal
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I read a lot about this hotel before going there and I was honestly very nervous because I thought a lot of the reviews were very bad. My boyfriend and I had a wonderful stay at the blue bay. We were located in building in 5 rather close to the main pool and the beach. The beach was terrible and there were sandbags everywhere. The pool was nice but very warm (we're in Mexico so obviously it's warm). However I did meet a lot of people who cut themselves on the pool tiles so beware.

The food was really good. All the a la carte restaurants were very good. I was disappointed in the Mexican restaurant because our waiter completely forgot to bring us our first course. The food itself was very good though . The buffets for breakfast and lunch were good as well.

Our room was nice. The housekeeper would always come to late in the day so that was sort of annoying. Our bathroom was very nice and clean and so was the room. If you go out on the balcony and close the door behind you, you'll be locked out! So be careful.

The drinks were really good! I would highly recommend a scooby doo to everyone!! The service was a little slow and we had to way in line but never longer than 10 minutes

Overall our stay at the bluebay grand esmeralda was very good.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Samattack
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2014

There are a lot of pros and cons to this resort, but for what we paid, we can't complain. I'm not sure what people are expecting when paying so little - if you're expecting five star, exclusive treatment, then that's what you should book. And pay the relevant price while you're at it! For what we paid, we were very happy.

Beach:
Firstly, let's get something straight. If you are coming to Mexico for the beach - DON'T STAY HERE. Before this resort was built, the mangroves went all the way to the sea. There was no natural beach. So as the water erodes away at the man-made beach, roots and dirt are exposed. This can't be helped. They use sandbags to try and help, but that doesn't look much better. But if you bother doing ANY research about your hotel before you leave, you'll know all of this ahead of time. So you complainers out there - it's your own fault! We personally didn't go for the beach, so we didn't mind.

Pools:
There is a small pool by buildings 6, 7 and 8. It's nice, but we preferred the larger one at the other end of the resort, as it is right by the beach. People keep mentioning broken tiles and cut feet, but we didn't have any problems. And people who complain about the pool water being warm? Hello?! You're in MEXICO. What are they supposed to do - refrigerate the pools? Be serious. Even if they are kind of warm by the end of the day, they were very refreshing!

Food/Restaurants:
The food was awesome. Always fresh, plenty of choices, and everything was cooked nicely. I can't for the life of me figure out what anyone could possibly complain about! I've read reviews that say the restaurants are all open air and not air conditioned. Not true! The only one that is open air is the one by the beach, and the breeze from the ocean flows right through, so it's never hot.

Maintenance:
The resort isn't the newest, so they do have maintenance issues. A lot of the little problems could be fixed with little trouble, and would definitely have made a better impression. The bathrooms by the main pool are scary to say the least. The doors don't work and the one stall's toilet paper roll was gone altogether. Definitely could do better there.

Shuttle:
Plenty of people complain about how big this resort is. Again, something you should research before booking. It is large, but they have continuous shuttle service every five minutes. You can't complain about that.

Excursions:
The guys at the Dive-X booth are awesome, especially Omar. He hooked us up on a day catamaran trip to an island, and it was awesome! Unbeknownst to us, we purchased the 'Platinum' trip ($110 each for the day). We ended up on a beautiful catamaran only filled to 40% capacity, as opposed to the other people on our bus who were squashed onto a catamaran that was completely packed! I'm not sure how much they paid, but whatever extra we paid it was well worth it! We went back to Omar a couple days later and he hooked us up with the guys on the beach who take you out on their Hoby Cats (small catamarans). We went out twice with Pasha. It was a two hour sail and we only paid $35 each. It was our favorite experience of the whole trip! It was just my fiance and I and Pasha, and he took us to a coral reef 15 minutes out where we went snorkelling. I couldn't believe the sea creatures we saw. It was amazing! He also took us to the lagoon just down from the resort. Fresh water comes in from an underground cenote and meets the ocean water. It's gorgeous - you have to see it! It's about a ten minute walk down the beach from the resort. Pasha was the best! Make sure you ask for him.

Staff:
We stayed at another hotel around the same area last summer, and I have to say, their staff was much friendlier. This time we took 30 single dollar bills for tips. I'm sad to say, we returned with most of them. The resort staff is far from friendly for the most part. With the exception of the swing bar staff - they were awesome! The bar staff at the main pool were downright rude. One of them bordering on obnoxious. Not impressed! The ladies in the towel booths - don't expect a word out of them, or even a smile. The restaurant servers were hit and miss - we did get the odd one who was ok, but generally unfriendly as well. It's a real shame. All people want is a smile and a hello!

Overall, I think this resort is great value for money and I would recommend it to those who want to watch their pennies.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MPierce66
Rydal, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My sister and I just came back from a five day trip. I was nervous before we came because I was reading some of the reviews and a lot of them seemed really bad. When we came they welcomed us with a drink and said "welcome to paradise". All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Everything was super organized which was helpful because we just played our whole trip by ear and we accomplished a lot. Our room was very nice we were lucky and got a room with a view of the beach and pool. The food was delish! We went to the french restaurant one night and ate the buffet the rest of the time. The drinks were great and the bartenders were very friendly. We also went to the gym to workout everyday which was tiny but not that many people were in there so I could always find a machine. The layout was beautiful and the pools were very nice. We went windsurfing and kayaking

The only thing that was a little disappointing was that the beach was very tiny and not that clear.

Other then that I have 0 complaints. I defiantly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a good time! Don't be fooled by the bad reviews.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank TLGAPG
Bedford, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2014

To make it short and simple:

Grounds were gorgeous, and I mean gorgeous!!!! You can not take a bad pic here!!!
Rooms were roomy and nice, lots of marble.
Food was very good for resort food.
Lg pool by beach really nice.

Circle one reps (timeshare) a little annoying
Drinks were pretty good, they had what we wanted, no complaints!
Beach was kinda gross, if you are going for the beach you will be dissapointed. Sorry.
Evening mosquitos in March at least when I went a little annoying we stayed in when it was dark.
Check in was not smooth. Waited 4 hours for room. But could roam the resort. Didnt feel good about leaving luggage behind- but we did, everything was brought to the room, but not without confusion.

All and all still liked the resort! Would return if the price was right!

Room Tip: Get room close to beach, building 4 was very nice!!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We booked a last minute holiday to Mexico in June this year, after reading some of the reviews on here I wasn't too sure what to expect.
After travelling for almost 12 hours including transfers, we were welcomed at the hotel with cocktails, first impressions were great! The hotel looked amazing, and the surroundings are beautiful.
This is one of the largest resorts we have stayed at, the hotel even provides 'taxis' to each area throughout the day.
I was really impressed, the room was exceptional and very clean.
The hotel staff were all very helpful, especially when we got locked out of our room! (Don't close balcony doors if there's no one else in the room haha)
Food was great.. There wasn't as much Mexican food as I would have originally expected but there's definitely something for everyone.
There is also plenty of activities to keep you entertained, however we only went for 7 days so personally preferred to relax most of the week.
The only downside for us was that the beach was pretty much out of bounds the whole week, just because of the sea conditions and a whole lot of seaweed!! Everyday there was either a yellow or red flag meaning caution or do not enter. However this wasn't too much of an issue as the pool was so big!
Be wary of the shops with in the resort, they are very expensive, and would advise anyone to get their souvenirs from playa del carmen if possible as you can save more than half in some cases!
I would definitely return to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda given the chance, it is very peaceful and a great location! However a week is just not long enough!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emma D
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I overall enjoyed my vacation at the Blue Bay I have never gone to any blue bay resorts before so this was a first for me. I went in with low expectations so I enjoyed myself however I would say this is by far not the best resort I have ever stayed at or the worst. I traveled the first week of August and I was with my Mum. The resort has a variety of different ages, family with small kids, couples, elder etc.

Beach
Awful for the Caribbean experience. The water is shallow so you can't really swim. There are a few rocks but not too many. The water is not clear at all, it is muddy and a lot of seaweed. The beach is small, you can walk the resort beach in under 5 mins. The positive is we never had a problem finding a beach chair.

Pool
a bit seasoned but big and never had problems finding chairs. The water was too hot in the pool most days

no complaints at all, actually the food was pretty good. A lot of selection and good quality food.

Drinks
Excellent, the bartenders really know how to make good drinks.

Grounds
Amazingly kept, beautiful walking around. Long walk from one end of the resort to the other however they have golf carts to pick u up, just no set times.

Entertainment
OK, some of the shows were excellent but others were not good. The grease show was good, the magic show was good (not in English though),

OK in the restaurants but most of the bars had line ups to get drinks. The "sports bar" was under construction so when the nightly entertainment started the small bar couldn't make fast enough drinks causing some wait times of 10+ mins.

Rooms
OK but seasoned. holes in the sheets and curtains, chipped paint.

Free wifi all throughout the resort however depending on where you were the signal was weak.
Shuttle bus 4 or 5 times a day for 500 pesos drops you off right at playa car

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in building 1 but not close to the beach (nightly entertainment from 11pm...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda? Share your experiences!