“Beautiful grounds”

Ranked #95 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Petrolia, Canada
“Beautiful grounds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

The landscaping of this place was amazing and beautiful. We stayed on the 2nd floor overlooking the forest so it was very quiet were we slept. The rooms were comfortable, the bathroom was very updated and clean. The house cleaners came in a couple times per day to bring fresh towels and stock our mini fridge. They always had a different towel animal put on our bed.
There was 6 different a la cartes to pick. Italian, French, Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse, and I can't remember the last one. I'm writing this review for my stay in May of 2011. You could go down to the first floor and there was someone always there to book a spot for the a la carte. Just make sure you go down early enough around 8 or 9 am. You will always get in. The drinks and food were so amazing. The waitresses and waiters were very attentive.
The grounds were so well kept and beautiful and the pool area was very nice also. I liked sitting in the lounge chairs in the shallow part of pool. The part of the hotel we stayed at was quite far from the beach, we had at least a 10 minute walk to get there, but at least all the grounds landscaping was so perfect we enjoyed the walk each time. You could also take the trolley car there when they come by but a lot of times it was quicker to walk then it was to wait for one of them to show up. There was a few different pool areas, one close to the main building and a few by the beach. Now the beach area was average. I didn't find the water that nice, kinda dirty and dark and there was no snorkelling available on the resort, that might be why because of the murky water. But there is a beautiful grotto area not too far away that is specifically for snorkelling and I recommend that place, it was the best experience of my life. I think the name was Xel-Ha Park. It is considered one one of the 13 natural wonders of Mexico. You'll pay about $100 and that includes all activities there plus, all meals and drinks. A must see 100%.
The staff were mostly very friendly and helpful and the maid staff were certainly on top of things. We left them a good tip, they deserved it.
The main buffet area was huge with a big selection but I found the food very average and the same thing everyday. So make sure you book your appointments for the a la cartes, so worth it. The main buffet was never an issue for seating yourself, there was plenty of room.
The after dinner entertainment was pathetic. Really really disappointed. I expected way better for such an amazing place. We tried a few nights in a row to watch the entertainment but left early and never bothered after that. I've been to resorts in Cancun were the entertaining was awesome, even one night they did "Cats". This place lacks that great entertainment. That is pretty much my one star negative comment.
I would come back here but I never do that same place twice. I have the "been there, done that" mentality. We paid $1100 /person all inclusive, we got one of those last minute deals, so we got a great deal. I recommend this place.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,948)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Grenville-sur-la-Rouge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

The staff was friendly and welcoming. The rooms are spacious and well furnished with all the essentials and more. The food at the buffet and at the restaurants was very good. However: Mold around bathtub; sewer odours in the room and outside; restaurant reservation system not clear for regular clients (no explanations given about priority given to Circle One clients); Watersport equipment in very bad shape or unusable (one catamaran we took broke at sea and had to get help from another hotel to fix and go back…); Beach/access to sea water barely usable because of sand bags, weeds and other particles; also, seawater within the bathing area was full of dirt, weeds and particles (we had to wash it off in the shower); diesel powered shuttle between lobby and rooms pollute and asphyxiate clients; finally, concierge service was been very unproductive (more busy at selling us Circle One than responding to our complains). It took our friends 5 days to get the umbrella that was supposed to be in the room and it took us 2 weeks to have the safety handle of our bathtub repaired. There aren't many places to chill after dinner (inside, out of the rain and mosquitos)! The Sports Bar is loud, and right next to the theater, so not a place to have a drink and chat with friends after dinner. The only other place is the Lounge Bar between the Italian and French restaurants, but it seats only 12 people inside, and is mostly used by people waiting to get in at the restaurants. We thought the lobby would have been a great place for another Lounge Bar, plenty of seating, just add soft music, and access to coffee and drinks, and for sure the place would be filled. Also, my spouse and I have been to Mexico 8 times now. And mexican coffee has always been delicious: decaff or regular. Well, we would have never thought we would be given Maxwell House instant decaffeinated coffee in a so called 4.5-5 Star Hotel! For all those reasons the 6 of us and all our friends, family and travel agent will put this hotel on the «no go» list.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Olphi0414
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have just come back after a two week stay here. The hotel was advertised as 5* but unfortunately this is never a 5* hotel. Before I give my opinion on the pitfalls of this establishment on the plus side, the grounds of the resort are very beautiful and well kept, the food is good for a high end 3* hotel (which in all fairness this is what BlueBay really is), and my room and all of the communal areas that I saw were clean. The main aspect letting this resort down in a huge way is the noise. If you are looking for peace and quiet and relaxation on your holiday then whatever you do DO NOT GO TO BLUEBAY, because you simply won't get it. What you will get are drunken yobs passing your rooms outside and inside the resort shouting and yelling, you'll also be woken up at around 08:00am by the staff talking at the highest volume in the corridors right outside your hotel room completely oblivious to the fact that you may be asleep, having a lie in is near impossible because the cleaners take the "do not disturb" room signs when they are cleaning and do not return them (and asking for them back can be quite a chore as many of the maids don't speak English very well) therefore, each day you will find yourself being awoken by that knock on the door by room service. This is AFTER the guy with the trolley comes around each morning to see if you would like your mini bar refilling. Not to mention the constant slamming of doors. You will not find one single sign requesting guests and staff to keep noise levels to a minimum. It is literally a circus and the quietest hours are between 02:30am - 06:30am.

Also, for some unknown reason don't expect the female concierges to smile at you, they just don't and are quite unfriendly and unapproachable. Also, don't expect great service, I had to ask 3 times for my laundry to be collected and beware when asking for drinks at the Sports Bar, if you have asked for an alcoholic beverage, you MUST watch them make the drink, check that they give you what you ask for and that you are not given just fruit juice that looks like your order!!!!!!

I wish I had taken notice of the reviews that I read on here before going because if I had I would have not come away disappointed in this resort.

Room Tip: Tip for choosing a good room..... don't! Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Natasha G
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Clean rooms, tidy resort, grounds immaculate, rooms modern. Best breakfast I have seen ever. Food varied at buffets and six other restaurants to choose from. Pool area spot on, make sure you get the sunbeds in the shallow pool water. Swing bar by the pool a good place to chill with a cocktail. Guys who sell the diving trips very friendly, I recommend the diving with turtles one. Spa treatments good value. This was the best holiday my wife and I have ever had.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Muna1979
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just returned 1/19/2014 from the Blue Bay. I don't want to write a long review of the food served at the specialty restaurants so to summarize it was served lukewarm at best. The buffets for breakfast and lunch were not an issue but for dinner the quality and selection of food were only less than acceptable. In summary, you won't starve and I didn't hear of anyone getting sick but if you are a foodie this might not be the resort for you.

Room Tip: Close a building by the pool and beach
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jeh922
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here June 2013. Had the choice of several but chose this '5star' as a recommendation from the travel agent. Hotel grounds are beautiful but beach is a shambles (man made) and the sea surrounding is dirty. Food was average at best. Some nights in some restaurants better than others and the breakfast buffet is very americanised. Luckily though we met some amazing people on our stay and the nights drinking at the beach and sports bar were brilliant. The entertainment team during the day at the main pool are great and make it easy for you to get involved in the activities and also put on a decent show at night.
Drinks were quite hit and miss sometimes strong sometimes sometimes weak and cocktails are not really made with much care as the bartenders get very busy.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Nick P
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

we had selected another 5 star resort and our agent at the Carson Travel suggested this particular one since she had been and guaranteed that we would not be disappointed. Well, she must have had a bonus in mind for the referral. We booked with Nolitour which is the first time for us. Flight through CanJet..if you are used to SunWing, you will be disappointed. Upon arrival, no greetings from anyone. We checked in, ok room including safe, plenty of towels, 2 40oz of booze and a flat screen tv...rooms are very clean. 2 days they forgot to clean our room, we called for towels and they brought them right away.
Disappointed with Nolitours. The meeting the first day consisted of packages you could buy with them. No other helpful tips about the hotel....Sunwing is so much better for this. You would only see Nolitour rep if you went to the counter. Upon departure, they were still absent.
Resort is large, shuttles are random..prepare to walk plenty.
Gym is ok. needs update, many treadmills broken. Spa Hydrotherapy will disappoint you...quite pricy for a few lukewarm pools, steem room broken. massage was great but 129$. you can find much cheaper downtown.
Food is 3.5 star...you will eat the same thing all week at the buffet. Impossible to get a reservation to the French restaurant...they keep the majority of the spots for private members. Soso mexican and italian. bought our own wine one night and the waiter didn"t serve it to us once...we poured ourselves. The service is very poor. tipping won"t change the service quality so you may want to save your money. Met many people there who travel a lot and they agreed that renovations and better trainning to their staff is necessary. It rained 6 out 7 days and there were no organized activities...the PR lads were hard to find to get a deck of cards. When it rained, you went to the common area where it is dark like an old church and people just sit there...it was quite boring. I have travelled a lot to 5 star which is what I was told this was, and there is always some form of entertainment and fun things to do during the day. This place lacks this. The evening shows were similar to what you woudl see in a high school shows. These entertainers try hard but they are not professionals, merely amateurs. people would get up and leave.
Beach was dirty,,,plastic and some garbage, the water was dark and muddy,..we couldn"t swim in the ocean.
overall very disappointed with the resort and we paid some good money...don"t recommend it at all.

Room Tip: we had a vue of the bar and pool. we could hear the music from the restaurant as early as 6 am when...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,598 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,258 reviews

Been to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda? Share your experiences!