We had a great experience at this resort. Staff was wonderful, food and service was excellent. Had no problems at all getting a reservation in the restaurants. Not sure why people were getting up at 7am to make the trip to the lobby to reserve a table because that's what the concierge at each building was there for! (among other things). We chatted up the concierge and then inquired about making a reservation, and both times the reservation was made was definitely after 1pm. Tried the Mexican and Steak House. The steak house was my favorite, best filet mignon I've ever had! The swing bar was our place to be in the evenings and once again, service was superb!
Now for the bad.....the sports bar sucked! After the show service was very slow as you had 100 + people going up to the bar afterwards to get a drink.
We tried again to have drinks in this bar on a second night and was absolutely shocked by what went on......a handful of people were having drinks, enjoying their holiday and then over at the bar was the two trashiest young women on the resort, they were on top of the bar, rolling around with their bits hanging out, putting their mouths on the beer taps and drinking straight from it. Knocking people's drinks all over them and then when these people communicated their displeasure of having their drinks spilled on them, the trash bags threatened violence against these people! Where was the bartender and security this whole time you ask, they were watching it!! It wasn't until one of these trash bags assaulted a security officer that they were removed from the bar. She was still hanging around the resort after that, which surprised us, she should have been put in a Mexican jail to teach her a lesson! If anyone from this resort is reading this, please don't let this happen again.
This did not spoil our overall experience thankfully. The attentiveness of the staff and the overall beauty of this resort out weighed this horrible experience. FYI, the beach is NOT as bad as people have said. It's gorgeous and the sandbags along the beach just happen to be in front of the VIP beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico