“Fabulous”

BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
Ranked #98 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This was our honeymoon resort. We experience the best service, food, cleanliness and advice on tours etc. The staff work incredibely hard to maintain the best service for the people! I gladly appreciate their efforts to make us feel comfortable. The room we have was a deluxe garden view. It was maintained by the maids very well everyday without fail. The pools were great for relaxing in and also quick swims. The beach wasn't as clean but it didn't affect our holiday the sligtest. We recommended this resort to all family members and friends, as we had the most amazing experience here and have decided to come again soon!
Highly recommended
Mr & Mrs P

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank furzanabanu

Reviewed November 20, 2013

My partner and I stayed at BBGE from the 10th September for 14 nights. Having read the reviews, i have to admit i was a little skeptical. I can honestly say we experienced nothing of what has been put on here. We were not pestered about timeshares, the staff were friendly, tried their hardest to speak english and accommodate you in anyway possible. If you go to a Spanish speaking country, you should at the very minimum learn some basic phrases in Spanish. To go there and expect everyone to speak English, when you haven't tried to learn their language is just down right rude in my mind. We found our room to be extremely clean, always a very clean bathroom, with clean towels and lovely 'towel animals' left on the bed every day. They even stock your mini bar up with beers & soft drinks & big water bottles - this will come in handy if you are going on any excursions.

There are 5 different restaurants, ranging from international/mexican/spanish/ german, french & italian. We found the food to be lovely, fresh, hot and displayed beautifully. We were lucky enough to be there for the celebrations of the Mexican Independence. We experienced so many different foods on this night, it was truly amazing..my favourite was chocolate chicken! Don't knock it, until you've tried it.

With regards to the beach. Yes there is seaweed. Yes there is sandbags. This is all done for the health & safety of the guests. The waves are quite strong along the Caribbean coast, the sandbags keep the sunbathers at a higher level than the sand leading into the sea.You might complain at this, but its either that or you'll be sunbathing on a slant!! The sea itself is a little 'pebbley' to walk into, we later discovered that this is actually bits of coral! Once you venture in about a meter or so, you are standing on pure soft sand. Enjoy it, please don't be so judgmental about something that really isn't going to effect your holiday overall!

I can honestly say we didnt use the pool very much. We prefer to be by the ocean, but when we did go into the pool there are staff always asking if you want a drink, and they bring it over to you while you're swimming about in the pool. The water was clean, with a 'pool boy' constantly cleaning through-out the day.

I saw quite a few reviews about needing to take the shuttle bus around the complex because its so big. When we arrived we saw many people using this shuttle service. If you are unable to walk I truly think this is an excellent thing to have. If you can walk, you should. The complex has natural swamps, we saw deer, many exotic birds, a turtle and even an alligator! It was amazing to be holidaying amongst all these natural beauties. There is no need to take the shuttle, I think honestly it's just pure laziness.

There are many excursions you can book through the hotel. If Edy approaches you from Divex, go with him. It was one of the best trips we had. They have a small group of no more than 12 people. It was personal and you felt like you had more time because it was such a small group.

Most of the complaints on here are ludacris. 'No pool bar', get up and walk those 10 steps to the bar, stop being so lazy. A holiday is exactly what you make it.

We had the best time here ever. Made some amazing friends with tourists and with the staff.

We cannot wait to go back in 2015.

My suggestion would be to go and experience it for yourself. Don't go off reviews. Everyone is different. Make YOUR holiday worth YOUR while.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank 88kharding
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Don't stay here they are a time share resort and do nothing for you if you don't want to buy in. Have scares from sand fly's that they don't spay for. A la cart's are not do able unless you grease palms. The staff is great but don't expect the nightly shows or transport in the rain or any other time. The ocean is not nice.

Room Tip: Don't if it's rainy season as you will have to change rooms many times
5  Thank Bobbie H
Reviewed November 18, 2013

we stayed Oct 27- Nov 10th this was the worst 14 days of my life , I could not wait to leave and get home ,
we arrived and we were excited about staying here as over the years of coming down to the Maya Riveria we saw this hotel get built and is a fairly new hotel ( 6-7 yrs old ), we were welcomed with drinks the front desk not that friendly , this trip was for my husbands birthdayl , we stayed in building 4101 building 4 , this was on main floor , we put our luggage in our room , our room was full of misquitos, we opened the balcony door and there was a pile of raccon crap sitting there we called the front desk the maids were summomed they cleaned up the mess and sprayed our room, all was fine , we wondered why were not given any braclets on our wrists we later learned this distinquishes you from the time share people . who sit at the entrance way of your building ( they are suppose to be the conceirge, who tell you they will book your al la carts for the speciality restaurants and here to help you etc, ( yeah right , they invite youto a free breakfast to get to know you free breakfast , can you guess where the frre breakfast is it is the free breakfast buffet , ( we watched this for days and killed our selves laughing ) they are time share selling you to the resort to the VIP section ,they were with the Circle one group selling time shares , this made me angry , as I did not come down on hoilidays to be bugged every day, Charlie was the name of ours sitting in the entrance of our building , we were in the pool one day he stopped and asked us why don't you guys give me time to explain as to what we were selling , I asked him why would I want to even buy anything off you look at this place the pool has cracks all over it , nothing is kept up every thing is falling apart , all the metal lawn chairs are broken , the beach is a mess sand bags everywhere & dirty .and that all your selling is the time share what happens when you run out of people and the place is completely falling apart and this hotel is not that old it is only 6-7 yrs old and look at it..the name is going to change and there will be no more bluebay grand esmeralda as it will be renamed under something else just like the H10 down the road which is now named the Ocean Maya , I asked him would he invest in this property , probably not , he did not say another word to us about the time shares,
we got 2 alacarts in the whole 14 days we were there and we had to fight for them , as they kept telling they were all filled up, we went ot the mexican which was horrible and disappointing
we walked out , and went to the buffet & the Italian which was good , for telling us they were almost filled up they had 5 tables filled the rest of the restaurant was empty so what gives??
the food at the Festival Buffet was crap , we had some nights our own version of making of a subway bun .. the drivers who drive the little carts do not stop for people walking in the rain ,
we were on a cart infact a double cart the driver had 4 people on we were on this cart it would not stop for a little asian family who had baby stroller waiving him to stop , or a elderly couple who were haveing problems walking , My husband asked the driver his name he would not give his name , he was rude to us and the other couple on the cart , we meet some friends at the hotel who were fun , this kinda made up for the crap we went through , we went to get a drink and they gave crap liqour We order a gin & tonic it tasted like licource, not gin , I asked what kinda gin is this he showed us , I could not drink it .. horrible this was at the sports bar , the bar tender was very rud he loked at me and say something very rude in spanish , this made me angry I went back to the table with a rum & coke drank it and went back up to order another he would not wait on me, so I went back took 5.00 out of my bag went back up asked the other bar tender his name was Samuel I asked if he could help me he took my order made my drink and the other rude bartender just stared at me When Samuel gave me my drink I took out the 5.00 and gave it to him in fron t of the rude bartender and thanked him for serving me,.. that made the other bartender eat crow...the waitreses change their name tags one noght their teresa the next night the the same waitress is named nora ?? even they do not want to be named , The entertainment committee needs major help they did the same shows over & over again ... the michael jackson show right worest impression I have ever seen, , the actor thought he was actually michael jackson,, do your self a favor do not stay here especially if you like the blue carribean waters and nice beach as you will not see it here the water looks like mud and the beach is a mess ,,,,,,and all they care about is the time share people who prev bought here .. and even they were trying to be upgraded .. big joke
Management wake up your hotel is going down the tubes

6  Thank Mexsil
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is NOT safe! We went here with friends for a wedding. I read all the reviews before we went and wanted to make my own decision about this resort. Yes, there are bugs, yes the swamp smells like sewage and yes the beach is full of sand bags. However, this is not the reason I would not return. The mold in this hotel is hazardous! We had 2 rooms, in 2 different buildings before getting a 3rd room that did not smell strongly of mold. If anyone had to stay a week in these mold infested rooms they would have medical issues. We could not believe that they were continuing to put people in these rooms. The buildings 4 and 5 had major mold and water damage in them. In building 4 there were drill holes in the ceilings to help the water drain. Outside of the rooms, the washrooms in the public areas were dirty, with smear marks on the walls. The bathroom for the pool in building 4 had 2 stalls, one with no toilet seat. The pool had lots of broke tiles, 2 people cut themselves on them while getting out of the pool. The staff working at the desk at building 4 only spoke spanish, making it difficult to communicate (he will use a translating program on his computer, didn't help). Also, if you want a reservation at a restaurant, you need to line up at the front desk at 6 am. The trolly carts do not come that often, so you walk a lot! Even if you called for one, it never came. And be careful, they don't slow down! If you get there at 7 you will be to late. Please do not go here, there are way better places for the same cost! Also, the BD Travel gives a lot of different information, most of it was incorrect. The BD bus driver told us that no one has ever left saying nice things about this place. That made us laugh, we couldn't have agreed more!

Room Tip: There are a lot of moldy rooms, it's best to chose a different hotel in your price range. Room 4...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank ilove2
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed at Blue Bay for the third time in two years last week. This was during the off season and it was fantastic. We had a couple of rain showers and good short down pours but generally the weather was still beautiful and warm. We really enjoyed that there were less people at the resort and totally understand and did not mind that some of the restaurants had been scaled back for this reason. As always the staff were most excellent, many have been there for numerous years and everyone is friendly and aim to please. They must have had less staff and unfortunately they ran out of guacamole twice during lunch and it took quite a while to get some out, resulting in a fair number of angry patrons. This is pretty much inexcusable and very unfortunate and certainly not something that we’ve seen at this resort before.

We stayed in building 5, room 5132 which was a swim-up studio with a king size bed and nice big walk-in shower with enough room for two if you are so inclined. Very comfortable and we thought it was in an excellent location as it was kind of secluded and had a beautiful view of the beach and ocean. If you are sensitive to noise this side of the building might not be the best as sometimes it got a little loud from partyers at the beach bar.

One noticeable improvement for us was the WIFI. It’s gotten so much better and is now available in your room and I believe it’s free for one device and it actually works great. There is availability for additional devices for a fee.

This is the first time however that we’ve had mosquitos. I don’t know if it’s because of where we stayed, or because we were there at a different time of year; but they were noticeable outside right around dusk and if you keep your patio door open they will go in your room. Spending a few minutes before bedtime swatting them with a towel might be to your advantage.

It seems that they’ve must have brought in more sand to the beach. The beach is sandier and the sand under the water has gotten much better with less rocks to hurt your feet. You can totally walk out in the ocean right in front of the hotel now and enjoy a swim.

I’ve seen on other reviews that there has been a problem for some with hot water. We discovered that if you run the hot water for up to 5 minutes it will eventually get warm. This only seemed to be a problem for early risers and not throughout the day.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5132 which was a swim-up studio with a king size bed, Very private with a beautif...
4  Thank Sue A
Reviewed November 14, 2013

After travelling for 26 hours, no welcome drink, made to sit and given a talk about the hotel by someone who barely made himself understood before having to wait another half hour for the room key.
Room was adequate but not really clean, empty cereal boxes under the bed, rusty towel racks in the bathroom, noise outside in the corridors due to metal trollies being pushed around on uneven floors and walkie talkies with volume on full.
Had to get up at half six in the morning to go up and queue in the lobby for half an hour just to book a meal 24hrs in advance. If you were a bit late you were stuck with either a time to early or to late. Never got the time we wanted in ten days.
Food in general was disappointing, either warm or cold. Stay away from the Mexican and steakhouse, disgusting. Buffet was generous but you had to queue if you got there after eight in the morning, no change in daily selection.
Beach was not clean, saw a number of used condoms, uncleared rubbish and empty glasses left over from the previous day.
Evening entertainment in the Sports Bar, or the Garage as it came to be called, was short, crap and repetitive, normally lasted around an hour to an hour and a half, if lucky. Beach bar was dirty with glasses being cleaned in dirty water.
Staff, in general, not very helpful, apart from the odd one or two.
This experience has put us off ever going to Mexico again.

• Stayed: November 2013