My boyfriend and I stayed at Blue Bay from July 2-9/2013 and we had a great time!
I found this resort to be pretty big. I've stayed at bigger RIUs before but they way it was situated made most of the walks pretty long but there is a shuttle that will take you places so you don't have to walk if you don't want to. We booked with Nolitours and apparently if you book with them you can only stay in buildings 5, 6, and 7 which are super far from pretty much everything. I will say we had a nice view of the pool and one close restaurant where we spent a lot of our time.
The food was really good. Nothing exceptional but they did try and have something new everyday. We booked the a la carte's no problem and didn't have to wake up early in the morning and wait in a huge line as we had experienced before at other resorts. The steak house was our favourite - but the service at this place was really slow despite there being not a lot of people.
The staff was super friendly and always said hi and asked how you were doing.
The beach was pretty dirty and murky but I think this was because it had been raining quite a lot the previous week and during the week that we were there. I've seen other reviews about this being dirty - and realistically they can't control the ocean if it's been raining and given the fact that this is hurricane season it will take a while to clear. We loved the little huts on the beach where you can catch some shade! You might need to go a little early to make sure you get one.
The shows were so GREAT! They did a really good job, was different and fun every night.
There is a 24/7 sports bar but there is no food - I wasn't the happiest about this because people get hungry at night!
The pools were beautiful and the temperature was great. There was however no swim up bar. But there was always someone walking around asked if you wanted anything to drink and a cute bar with swings on the beach.
There were a lot of families here and not a lot going on other than the shows going at night. There is no disco and Playa Del Carmen is really not that close. If you're coming here to party - I would tell you not stay at this hotel.
Check in was fast and easy and the resort was beautiful. I would stay here again for a nice relaxing vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico