We travelled from 19th-30th june, weather was perfect but very humid!
We were so worried about this hotel after reading the reviews, but when we got there could not understand what people were complaining about.
Ok yes the beach at this hotel is not the best but that's not their fault. If your holiday is based on the beach then book a hotel closer to playa del Carmen itself as that beach is beautiful though quite busy.
The rooms were great, lovely shower and huge room. Room was cleaned everyday and fridge was stocked too. We got towel art on some occasions but not everyday. We stayed in block 5 which was close to the main pool, buffet and beach which was perfect for us. We were a little way from the sports bar and reception but only took 10 mins to walk or you can get a little train. The walk did not bother us one bit.
The food was great. So much choice. The buffet can sometimes be the same but there are 6 a la cartes to choose from which you can book as many times as you like. But must be booked the day before. Our favourites were the French which we ate in twice and the steak which we went to 3 times. Drinks for us were great as we love cocktails and their were so many different ones. Try a mango tango or Miami vice they are yum.
One thing to be aware of is the price of the hotel shop. It is stupidly expensive!! $11 for a bag of lays crisps. We bought some crisps along with a few other things and paid in peso. We then asked what it was in dollars. When we realised we had paid $11 for some crisps we asked for our money back (we hadn't even left the shop yet) but he refused to give our money back.
There is a shuttle bus that runs from the hotel to playa del Carmen every day at 9am, 11am and 3pm and cost 50 peso each one way. It's worth going as the beach there is beautiful and there's loads of shops.
Overall our holiday was great! We did loads of excursions which can get a bit pricey so take lots of money. Swimming with the whale sharks is amazing but can only be done from june - sept. We booked that through the Mexican guys round the pool as they were cheaper than Thomas cook. You must go to cancun one night too as its brilliant!!! Coco bongo is wicked
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Jetsetter, Agoda, HotelsClick and Reservation Counter so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico