“Much Better than expected !”

BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
Ranked #99 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed June 10-16
We got a great deal on this resort. I was a little nervous going into it, after reading so many negative reviews.
We had a great time !!! Sure there were things that bugged us a little. But over all the good out weighed the bad.
We stayed in building #6, which is right by the smaller pool (which is still huge) and the Snack bar restaurant. Which serves a buffet breakfast and lunch. My kids loved it !
Dont forget your bug spray , the mosquitos are pretty bad at night.
Beach is nothing to write home about, but my 4 kids (ages 9-18) like pools better anyway:)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Luann M

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My partner & I stayed at Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda in June 2013 and overall had a good time. The resort is beautiful, and very well maintained. It is a little spreadout but we enjoyed walking through the resort looking at the wildlife & plants. There is a bus and various golf trollies that ferry you around if you can't be bothered to walk though. Our room was in Tulum building right on the beach and furthest from the main lobby and restaurants and it only took 5 mins to walk so I really don't understand what some people are complaining about in other reviews.

Pros:
The food in the buffet restaurant is great, and varied as they have a different theme each night. We found that the food on the seafood night in the buffet was far far better than the offering in the Seafood a la carte restaurant for example. My advice is don't waste your time booking the a la cartes.
The service is great, particularly in the Jaal Ha buffet at breakfast and lunch. The staff are happy and friendly whether you tip them or not but will go that extra mile if you do and they're worth it.
The Spa treatments were amazing, so relaxing and professional. I actually wished the whole resort was as peaceful - a nice place to spend a day
The pool are is very clean and an early morning swim is nice. In fact the whole resort is very clean.

Cons:
The beach is awful so if you really love the sea this is not the resort for you, however sitting on the beach was nice as you get a lovely warm breeze blowing in off of the ocean.
Mosquitos are a nightmare - take lots of spray with you and if you can a plug in for the room as they are everywhere. We couldn't even sit outside our room as we were attacked by them.
The biggest negative for me about this resort was the loud music booming out around the pool throughout the day. I went there to chill out and read, not to listen to loud dance music and games going on in the pool. This was certainly not made clear in the brochure and nor do I see in any of the promo pictures any shots of the many pool games & sports etc. As a result we had to retreat to the beach, which was lovely if you found shade but to do so you'd have to get down there between 7-8am and reserve beds in the shade.
In general there is not enough shaded areas.

Overall we had a nice time and the resort is lovely but we probably wouldn't go again as it wasn't what we look for in a relaxing holiday.

Tips:
Don't keep your room card (key) next to an iphone as it wipes the card and you have to take it to reception to get it reprogrammed.
To reserve a beach hut you need to go down to the beach between 7 & 8 am to get one.
Don't have a ground floor room as you have no private balcony.
Take very good mosi repellent.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor, as it is noisy and you don't get a private balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank sprin23
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed 5Jun13 - 16Jun13, Room 1411. Overall very nice hotel, lots of flora and fauna. Hotel is broken up into a number of blocks set in beautiful mangrove swamp environment. There is a bit of travelling between the blocks, however regular electric golf type carts and a train travel between them available if walking isn’t your thing. Loads of animals due to the swamps we saw a type of raccoon / squirrels / deer / blue crabs / iguanas / other lizards and birds. Overall the place is very clean, although we did find a couple of areas of our room not cleaned satisfactorily. Occasionally birds get into the open restaurants but staff are vigilant in getting rid of them. Location is 6km from Playa del Carmen, but buses ran 3 x daily free of charge. Gym had good facilities and free of charge, spa had to be paid for though which was disappointing would have expected basic facilities included and treatments extra. Staff are extremely friendly, going out of their way to say hello. Food was usually excellent, dedicated restaurants were very good we tried Oriental / Steak / Mexican / Italian. Main buffet style restaurant was quite basic and choice limited, wouldn’t have been happy if we were eating there every night. Breakfast and lunch services had good choice. Service was generally amazing only once did we have slow service when in the Steak restaurant. Drinks were available all day and service / measures were good. Main Sports bar wasn’t very good, more an open barn with seating, evening entertainment was poor, with resident entertainment crowd providing nightly shows including Grease / Mayan dancing / Magic / Karaoke. Pools were very nice, and constantly being cleaned, hotel didn’t seem over crowded and no noise problems, even when a huge Mexican wedding was being staged on the beach this didn’t impact on the rest of the hotel. Overall we would certainly stay here again and would recommend it unless you were looking for party / entertainment every night.

4  Thank oshbarg
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was my first trip outside of the country, which made me addicted to traveling . The resort was beautiful and the food was amazing. My fiance and i did a Apple vacation deal and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nataliak81
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our second time coming to this resort. We have stayed perviously and became members when this resort when it was brand new back in 2008. I can say that if you are VIP then you are in for a totally different experience from the rest. You have access to your own private little beach with cabanas and your own private bar with top shelf alcohol. We pretty much stayed in this area till it became open to the rest of the resort at 5pm. This is worth it when there are so many tourist waiting for the pool bar for a drink or someone to bring you a drink can take 30 mins or more. So that alone with worth the extra money to upgrade in my opinion. Shout out to Samuel and David who made the best drinks ever! Top of my list mango margarita, the super man, and princess shots and tequilla para ninos.

The bad is that they had screwed up my reservation and my room was not as expected. But I am the type of person that makes the most of the situation and we took it in stride. But I WILL NEVER stay in building 4 again. It was very loud as we were right next to the entrance. And what got on my nerves was that my remote for the fan and someone else's crossed so if they turned there fan on, mine turned on as well. And some of the younger boisterous kids stayed here and can be heard yelling from 12 midnight till 3 or 4 am. And definitely take some cream rub on mosquito replant, seriously no joke I was eaten alive until i switched from my spray on to the cream.

The restaurants were ok, nothing super special. I lived the french and the steakhouse the best. We ate at each one except the Italian one. What I like is they now have a shuttle that takes you in to downtown playa del carmen to 5th avenue. Its 5 dollars each way and is much cheaper than taking a taxi. We spent the whole day there one day at the best beach side hole in the wall restaurant it is called Yan-Ten and it is at 4th avenue and Playa. We literally drank all day 4 mango margaritas and 2 dos XX beer buckets plus 1 order of fish and 1 order of shrimp ceviche for 60 bucks not bad at all.

The only thing I think this resort is lacking is an active nightlife for the younger crowd. There is no dancing what so ever. They play some music but nothing to dance too. The lobby had excellent music to dance too but whenever I would ask them to play or to have music they would laugh at me and say no. So please Blue bay find it in your hearts to create a dance hours every night. Even if its from 9-11pm that would make me a lot happier.

Overall we enjoy this resort and will be back because we love the area. I love to visit the town and explore. Overall the quality of the hotel when we first bought our timeshare was excellent and this time it is very good.

Room Tip: do yourself a favor and ask for a room away from the entrances and also not on the first floor. avoi...
1  Thank Drea1713
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We spent 10 days at the bluebay and got lucky with the weather, although predicted rain we had 99percent sun and intense humidity. To start with the good parts, the food is fantastic and the buffet and restaurants are really good and that's probably due to the income of American tourists and Canadian. The hotel is extremely clean and constantly looked after, even the pool toilets and constantly cleaned. House keeping is to a very good standard and nice decorations are left out. The pool and sun loungers are one of the best. Most of the staff are very friendly also. The gym area was great and.
Now for the fun bit, first of all the air con is pretty much non existent outside your room, your eating your meals at nice in 29degree heat and humidity and its far from comfortable, even in the entertainment bar it's open aired so therefore packed In around people on uncomfortable chairs sweating. The staff even though their income is mainly through English speaking tourists have very minimal understanding and when you wanted help or even a drink or spoon you get a gormless response back like I've just made up a random language. They often had on conventions for Mexicans and at night rather than a holiday resort it became like a local Mexican town for a couple days. The beach is the worst I have visited in the world and I'm from the British isles. There is a sewer by the pool and rumours the hotel was built on an old sewage compound, which would probably explain the smell around parts of the hotel and state of the beach and sea. The rooms aren't too sound proof as I'm sure we had a rhino or fat family above us with constant banging as they walked, and when your jet lagged on your first night, and they then started to play music at 1am they didn't have a kind welcome from me going upstairs. He hotel is to spread out, it's a good 15 minute walk to reception and reps from our building '5'. The nightlife isn't great compared to other resorts, and found ourselves bored at times. The restaurant times were poor, booked in for 9pm and weren't seated till half 9 and sat in that humidity was a joke. The beers are flat and not corona, some local cheap stuff. The shuttle that takes you from place to place was only available a couple times for us as every time we went to get it , it was occupied by obese people or kids who have ran past you to get on it before you. Services are average, some of them needed a good kick up the 'bum' and we weren't afraid to tell them that, faces like a slapped one at that and attitude but that was only a few of the majority.
Overall we had to make the most of our holiday and visit areas around the complex to enjoy it fully, we were satisfied with our stay but not somewhere I would recommend or stay again especially for the money we paid there are others around that would be better, so keep looking.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I want to make a call for all the personal and the executives whose work on the Blue bay hotel grand esmerald Playa del Carmen cos when i was in there, i got a few bad situations like:

- I don´t got any transportation service so i was in danger at regional animals (cocodriles)
- Any bellboy came to help me with my suitcase
-At the loby they don´t made me any restaurant reservation cos they didn´t want to gaveme the service
-All lobby personal were mad when they gave me my room

At last i want to say that i don´t agree and i feel unsatisfied at for the hotel soi decided to made early checkout after 2 hours since i´d been in there

tks