We just returned from 10 days at the Blue Bay in Mexico. We left on December 29 and returned January 08. The resort is big and and very clean. The service we received was prompt and efficient. The rooms were clean and never lacking any ammeneties. The mini bar was well stocked on a daily basis. Dont get a room near the elevators like we did, very noisy early in the morning as the maids and mini bar stockers prepare their products for the day and you hear carts going back and forth. The restaurants were all good. They cant all be great. My favourite was the steak house which is a must. You dont need to book all at once, you can book 1 every day, for there is no limit, since there are many restaurants and 2 Buffets to choose from. The buffets were always good. If you cant find something to eat there, you do have a problem. Since the resort is so big, they have a little shuttle train that picks you up at various stops along the route and lets you off at your destination. These trains are no more than 10 minutes apart, and very punctual. They co-ordinate each drivers destination by radio.
The downfall to this resort are, the beach is bad. it is very small, and the water is constantly dirty with ground up sea weed and dirt. It does not make for very good swimming if you are a beach lover. They blame it on the 2005 Hurricane, but 2 resorts down to the right of Blue Bay and 2 resorts to the left of Blue Bay, the water is great. Actually, if you are facing the ocean on the beach, take a walk 10 minutes to your left of the beach, and you will stumble on to an ecological lagoon where the water is crystal clear and you can swim with tropical fish. Bring a camera. This place is great for the kids. Too bad its not part of the Blue Bay. Another down fall, the bar tenders are stingy with the alcohol. You need to tell them constantly to put more alcohol. The best bartender there is Angel at the sports bar. He knows his stuff and makes the best dirty martini's for the guys and great chocolate martini's for the girls, or what ever your fancy, he is good at what he does. The entertainment at night is seriously lacking they need to do some thing about entertaining their guests, or you find yourself going to bed at 10 pm. If you get bored during the day, you can take a shuttle offered by the resort ($5.00 per person or 50 Pesos) which is 1/4 the price of a taxi and go to Playa dell Carmen. Its great for all ages, from cafe's to bars to boutiques to trincket shops it caters to all. The beaches there are beautifull, bring a bathing suit. A great get away from the resort. While in Playa dell Carmen, you can hop on a ferry and go to the island of Cozumel which is also a great place to wander around with a similar atmosphere as Playa dell Carmen. (This will cost you about $13.00 per person 1 way.) You can pay in Peso's which is $1.00 = 12 Pesos all in all we had a good time. Was it worth the money we spent for a 5 star? NO But live and learn I guess. I hope this has been helpfull to other travellers, and all in all, don't worry Mexico is safe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico