Just returned from a two week stay in the Blue bay Esmerelda, after reading some of the previous review We were really apprehensive about going to the hotel as some of the reviews are abismol, but we were very presently surprised and couldnt understand why the reviews were so bad.
The rooms were good sized, clean and tidy with a good sized bathroom with a double shower,hairdryer and toiletries, the mini fridge was well stocked and replenished daily as was the filter coffee and tea, we had lovely animals made out of towels most days, and I really couldn't fault our room at all, it also had a full sized ironing board and iron and a safe.
We were housed in block six which was near to the smaller pool and a short walk to the main buffet restaurant, shops and A'la carte restaurants. I can honestly say I couldn't find anything to complain about the food, it was alway fresh and a good selection available in all the buffet style restaurants there. The A'la carte has to be booked the day before and we normally booked ours around 11 am and managed to get in where we wanted most days, when we did the food was always beautiful, tasty and well presented in all the restaurants, the waiters were always polite and glasses filled quickly although there was one day when we had to wait a little but it wasn't a big deal. I for one have a very delicate tummy and I can honestly say this is the only place I have stayed abroad that I haven't had a poorly tummy.
The beach did have some seaweed in places but the majority of it is clean and like at the pool there was usually someone coming round asking if you wanted a drink, both my husband and I swam in the sea and it was clean and warm. It is a bit of a walk from the main building to the beach and most of the rooms are near the beach but there are regular golf buggies and train like vehicles that you can go on to save the walk. Each room comes with a large golf umbrella which is helpful as while we were there it did rain heavily on a couple of occasions.
A couple of negatives- the chairs in the main bar were really uncomfortable and there wasnt a room where you could relax in a comfy chair that was air conditioned, I was also disappointed when I asked for a glass of champagne one evening and they gave it me in a tumbler as it was after 11, apparently they only serve drinks in plastic glasses after 11!
I also felt uncomfortable having someone literally follow me around the shop in the complex when looking for gifts, I had no bag and just felt I couldn't browse. We had friends with us that had a noisy child in the next room but they asked the conciage if it were possible to move somewhere quieter and this was facilitated quickly to level three, block six overlooking the mangroves which was soooooo quiet.
Over all a great hotel that I would return to, a special mention to Victor who looked after us daily at the small pool restaurant and the staff in the oriental restaurant who made us feel especially welcome. A good plus for us was that because we were in block six near the main bar we could pick up the free Wi Fi in our room which was a bonus.
There was a previous post about not feeling safe, we didn't feel unsafe at all in and around the hotel but found the police riding around with machine guns on the back of trucks somewhat scary when on the main roads - this was not in the hotel area though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico