“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #101 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Brackley, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a two week stay in the Blue bay Esmerelda, after reading some of the previous review We were really apprehensive about going to the hotel as some of the reviews are abismol, but we were very presently surprised and couldnt understand why the reviews were so bad.
The rooms were good sized, clean and tidy with a good sized bathroom with a double shower,hairdryer and toiletries, the mini fridge was well stocked and replenished daily as was the filter coffee and tea, we had lovely animals made out of towels most days, and I really couldn't fault our room at all, it also had a full sized ironing board and iron and a safe.
We were housed in block six which was near to the smaller pool and a short walk to the main buffet restaurant, shops and A'la carte restaurants. I can honestly say I couldn't find anything to complain about the food, it was alway fresh and a good selection available in all the buffet style restaurants there. The A'la carte has to be booked the day before and we normally booked ours around 11 am and managed to get in where we wanted most days, when we did the food was always beautiful, tasty and well presented in all the restaurants, the waiters were always polite and glasses filled quickly although there was one day when we had to wait a little but it wasn't a big deal. I for one have a very delicate tummy and I can honestly say this is the only place I have stayed abroad that I haven't had a poorly tummy.

The beach did have some seaweed in places but the majority of it is clean and like at the pool there was usually someone coming round asking if you wanted a drink, both my husband and I swam in the sea and it was clean and warm. It is a bit of a walk from the main building to the beach and most of the rooms are near the beach but there are regular golf buggies and train like vehicles that you can go on to save the walk. Each room comes with a large golf umbrella which is helpful as while we were there it did rain heavily on a couple of occasions.

A couple of negatives- the chairs in the main bar were really uncomfortable and there wasnt a room where you could relax in a comfy chair that was air conditioned, I was also disappointed when I asked for a glass of champagne one evening and they gave it me in a tumbler as it was after 11, apparently they only serve drinks in plastic glasses after 11!
I also felt uncomfortable having someone literally follow me around the shop in the complex when looking for gifts, I had no bag and just felt I couldn't browse. We had friends with us that had a noisy child in the next room but they asked the conciage if it were possible to move somewhere quieter and this was facilitated quickly to level three, block six overlooking the mangroves which was soooooo quiet.

Over all a great hotel that I would return to, a special mention to Victor who looked after us daily at the small pool restaurant and the staff in the oriental restaurant who made us feel especially welcome. A good plus for us was that because we were in block six near the main bar we could pick up the free Wi Fi in our room which was a bonus.
There was a previous post about not feeling safe, we didn't feel unsafe at all in and around the hotel but found the police riding around with machine guns on the back of trucks somewhat scary when on the main roads - this was not in the hotel area though.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank jeni010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,019)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We just got home after a week here with our 4 teens. The weather was beautiful even though the forecast called for rain and clouds. We had two adjoining rooms in building 6 which was convenient to all the restaurants. The beach party was a blast on the beach way on the left side but didn't start until about 11. Our teen girls loved it (with us as chaperones). The entertainment staff works their butts off and made it very fun. Great value for the money. We have stayed at nicer resorts, but for the 6 of us, and paying for 3 excursions (x6) we enjoyed this place for a week and had a blast.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 6 near the resturants. I have read a lot of reviews that said to get rooms nea...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Momof2teenS11
Moscow
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We last went to BBE in 2008 and had a fantastic holiday but we were very apprehensive about booking after reading all the negative reviews but sifting through we realised 87% were positive and some people have one negative experience and take it out on the resort or are just miserable and will never be happy. BBE is excellent value for money and the staff could not be more caring and attentive, (there are better resorts but they cost twice as much and are not all inclusive). We were disappointed to be located in building 6 for the first two nights but as Sergio from front desk promised when rooms became available on the beach we were moved to building 4 at no extra cost. This resort really is surrounded by nature in the heart of a coastal mangrove jungle teeming with wildlife which we love. There are wild animals everywhere, exotic birds and fish which we love. There are some of the best snorkeling and dive sites on the Riviera Maya just off the hotel beach and with Javier (the dive instructure / guide) you could not wish for a more professional and friendly service, (my son took his 'open water' dive licence with him). We went out on 4 dives each and saw turtles; Eagle rays... Los Arcos (The Arches) was an amazing reef). There is a great atmosphere around the pool whether you want organized activity or mix with other guests who we found wonderfully international and extremely open and friendly. The pool and beach drink service is pretty constant but can be slow as they make a round and get 20 drinks at a time, (but if you're in a hurry there is a bar at both ends of the pool...beach swing bar is great). We did not bother with the 'A La Carte' restaurants as we love the buffet with a different theme each night and great quality food with ample selection, (open till 10pm). We love the view from the beach restaurant with the turcoise sea and palm trees.....pure paradise. Staff are on very small wages so a few tips here and there are really appreciated. Again we rented a car for the second week as there are so many wonderful things to see and do outside the resort; shopping in Cancun / Playa del Carmen; swimming with dolphins, Cozomel, Mayan sites and nature reserves and theme parks to mention a few. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Go for Bldg 1,3,4 (or 5 if renovation complete), near beach and pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank SilverfoxMoscow
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The hotel was enormous and looked quite beautiful. I was very impressed when I arrived. The room was a nice size with a great balcony. We were right in front of the pool and the restaurant that we planned to eat at the most.

The first night we realized the TV was not working and the bathtub faucet was broken as well as the off switch for the alarm clock. I called the front desk and let them know. About 20 minutes later a man comes to the room to fix the TV. It takes him about 45 minutes to fix it, the same for the bathroom. It rained that night. Every time it rained we got 2 inches of water on the bathroom floor. We had to use all of our towels to make a path to the bathroom because the whole hotel room was tiled. The front desk did not seem to care and we just tried to ignore it since we only there for 3 nights.

At the buffet where we had breakfast I found melted plastic in the hash browns and told the waiter immediately. He said "Sorry" and that was it. I thought it was a lovely location, but the customer service was horrible. On top of that it was pretty slow at that time of year. It wasn't very crowded at all, we were the only room occupied on our side of the floor. They could have easily given us a new room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at BlueBay Grand Esmeralda, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
I appreciate you liked the hotel and your room's location and space. I have reviewed your comments with staff and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. During this season we take the opportunity to fix and improve some facilities in the unoccupied rooms. Thank you for your feedback, which helps us get better.
kind regards,
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Brought my family here and friends for my destination wedding, they did a GREAT job with everything. It is a lot of walking, and I would strongly suggest switching out of your villa if you are not located the beach! It is a short ride to Playa Del Carmen which is very nice ! Next I go I will rent a car..to not pay so much cab fare. You can find better beaches, that was the downside...it was very rocky. The swing bar makes up for it !!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DawnCorrigan
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have decided to post my review after what we went through was horrible. first i will piont out the good. We travelled t6o Bdlue Bay april17-24th 7 day stay .Upon arrival check in was a breeze,you were allocated your room immediatly.We first stayed in Building 6 as a nolitour are all booked in buildings furthest from tyhe beach which was no biggy for us. We tried upgrading however front desk staff gave us an outrageous price with attitude, no customer service ,no smiles , very unapproachable and rude.
We akll had concierge in our buildingd which you book your restaurants a la cartes with them. Did not have a dilemma with the concierges. they offered us an upgrade oceanview for an extra 50 dollars each person per night ,broughtus to tnhe room and showed us ,.It was an amazing room and we were excited to move but we had to sit oon a presentation which was a time share for 4 hours with extreme pressure to buy into which we did not but they mnake u feel like ur a nobody and u must have no money if you don't buy that's the exact wording used if u dont buy.UWe walked out of there thinking Wow how can you be treated like a nobody. Neeed less to say we moved on with our holiday and did enjoy our upgraded room.Its rteally too bad that the3 customer service at the front desk sucks and make u feel unwanted. It's the very first time i have everr felt like that in Mexico and we travel often to the Mayan, palya delCarmen cancuna nd Los Cabos.

The food was good no compalints -alot of repettion daily but for the most part we en joyed the food.

The maid servcie was good of course we tipped very well.

Beach was ok the furtyher you walk either way the better the beach was .

No wrist band is great idea.

Now to worst part -- on night two of our stay we were having a fantsatic time at the sports bar, at the time there was a wedding the next day .They blocked off the whole beach area and brought in Tons of Security. The Security was overlming at the sport bar at one point during the bnight .Security was stnding right behind me giving me the dirtiest looks ever. Wow my husband sai diIs there something wrong ? He did not answer , we moved waway to other end of the bar ,he followed me? wI asked Sir isd there a problem no he said with a scary look. I was very uncomfortabel. I wanted to leaver , it was very dark out me and husband left we were waliking back and i told my husband he is following me. We walked faster, again we asked why are u flloeing us ? He ignored us. we go into opur building by this time i was almost piswsing my pants What the Hell is going on .He was also in our building i whisperted to my husband i am scared what do we do , my husband said keep walking do not stop at our door. We kept walking , past our door and there he was peeking out of the electrical room .Scary i started to Cry my husband wakled into the electrical room ,turned on the light and there he was Mr Security crouched diown hiding. My husvband asked firmly what is your problem why are you following my wife .He then did not aswer moved away and talkked on his walky talkie calling other security .Then came like 10 of them I really thought this was going t6o be last day on earthe ,i was confused did not understand whaty was going on? I asked again please tell us what is going on .We opted to walk to the front ddesk to ask but i was soo scared what they could have done in the process.I was crying and asked please, please leave me alone and they all walked away.We went to our room which was just down the hall.They must have known where we were staying. I was soo frightened i wanted to call front desk but knew that theuy could harm us .We poted to keep our mouth shut and maybe they would go away and they did .We stuc to our room most of the time .,we enjoyed the sun but never left for long period of time.

On checkout i was soo happy to be leaving ansd releived. We were bullied , and could have lost our lives for no reason. We seen the very day thsi weding had tons of security ? What heepened we don't know but we have never ever felt soo afraid .

I am very disapointed with this Resort andf woul;d not recommend it to anyone.Please be very careful;
Tammy

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank tammy877
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Esmeralda, we was a little apprehensive after reading some of the feed back, but it was absolutely fantastic, some people must have nothing else better to do than whinge!!! Food, rooms, pools, staff are all excellent. The only downside for me was that the entertainment in the evening could have been for longer, but the shows were great.
Our maid "Many" in block 6 floor 4 made the most amazing animals out of towels, which all adds to your stay, so thank you very much, coming in each day to a different animal made my day. I would go back in a heart beat my only problem is the long flight, but I would definately reccommend this hotel to anyone who was going to Mexico.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda? Share your experiences!