We stayed August 1st - 8th for our honeymoon and it was very nice and relaxing! The resort itself was very beautiful and clean, has a huge pool with beautiful landscaping. The beach was also very large with tons of chairs and palm trees. HOWEVER, the water along the beach was very dirty and shallow, making it hard to swim in. There were a few areas with clear blue water but mostly dirty (This is obviously not the resort's fault, just the area).
The service here was awesome! Everyone was very nice and hard-working, they made sure we had a good stay. We even had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting in the room the first day! The staff worked very hard to keep the place clean as well as made sure you always had a drink in your hand!
The room was very clean and the bed was soo comfortable! The air conditioning was very nice and the fridge was always stocked with drinks! Everything in the room was perfect! Just wish we would have gotten an ocean view... had a view of just trees and another hotel.
The food was delicious! The variety of food for dinner was very good. HOWEVER, you have to make reservations for dinner at a certain restaurant (Mexican, Italian, Steak, Seafood, etc.) 24 hours in advance. This was ok except the last few days of our stay we tried to make reservations for the restaurants we had not visited but they were booked. If you do not get reservations there is a buffet with a different theme each night available without reservations, which was very good but not as nice/fancy. ALSO, there were no restaurants open from 5pm to 6pm, between lunch and dinner, so if you wanted a snack or wanted a late lunch/early dinner, you were out of luck.
The bars were pretty good, the bartenders worked very hard to keep the unlimited drinks flowing. HOWEVER, the liquor available was bottom shelf and they only had one kind of beer. ALSO, one night there was a wedding which shut down one of the bars by the pool/beach (the coolest bar!) the other bar by the pool closed at 11 so everyone went to the last bar, making it very crowded! It would just be nice to know if an event is going on during your stay OR they could keep another bar open later.
Overall it was an excellent vacation spot, downtown Playa De Carmen is only 20 minutes away, and there are many excursions you can PAY to go on during your stay. As for anything to do while your there, theres not much... you can pay to parasail or jetski but theres no snorkling spots or activities on the beach. This resort was awesome for the price we paid, and a great spot to relax!!
*** If you are going to this resort or this area bring bug spray!!! There are little mosquitos that bite your feet and ankles like crazy! And if it is your honeymoon or anniversary seriously consider an adults only resort! This one is not and had tons of loud kids running around! ****
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotwire, Despegar.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Jetsetter, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico