“Great course” 4 of 5 bubbles

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great course”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

Played my first 18 holes of golf on this course and I had a great time. There were some tough holes but it didn't ruin the experience for me. I would definitely play on the course again.

• Polish first
NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Golf”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Flexible club house which is great for vacation. Facilities were great. Would play again. Only 7 minutes from Royal Haciendas.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Perfect Course?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Well - all I can say is that this course was amazing. It is the best resort course I have played. The fairways were impeccable and the greens so true. Highly recommended for golfers of all standards.

The staff and service were excellent but it does come at a price - so it is much cheaper if you are staying in one of the Mayakoba hotels The Fairmont, Rosewood or Banyan Tree. Twilight starts quite early at 1pm.

Have fun!

1 Thank Suresh P
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Premium golf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

Best greens in Cancun by far. Unfortunately cart ran out of steam and only got new one after various attempts at contacting pro-shop.

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sensational course....unbelievably badly managed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Where to start...

Having taken the clubs on holiday and playing the Grand Coral (good course) until we was bored stiff, a quick bit of research led us to this course..... Took a bit of work to convince my pals to pay out $180 for the twilight fee...($280 in the morning, no I am not mad and haven't got the currency conversion wrong).

I throw the word "PGA" at them a few times, show them a few pics on the iPad...and they are begging me to take them there! We booked up at the extortionate fee and wholly expected to be treated like pros like we was when we rolled up at all the other courses here in Mexico.

But no...we carry out own bags to the pro shop, arriving an hour prior to the tee time....good job as we had to queue to pay for our tee time for over twenty minutes. Anyway we spend hundreds more dollars between us in the pro shop on ridiculously over priced memories! But hey only plan on coming here once....

Anyway get seated in our state of the art buggies, gps, course flyover videos as you arrive in each tee. Starter laughs at me when I ask "hows it compare to the Grand Coral" so I get more excited by the minute, anyway he shows us to the first tee slightly late and with players on the green and fairway ahead.....you can almost guess what's coming next.

As we reach the end of the first hole, via a cave and immaculate fairway....we start to notice that in front of us is a 6some, 6ball, whatever you want to call it.....quite unbelievable. Anyway the starter comes past as we are playing the 2nd and we mention it to him, he then allows us to play through....this much to the displeasure of the 6ball. Anyway numerous obscenities in various languages get exchanged and we get on our merry way round.........until the next hole when we catch up with a 5Ball! Quite unbelievable! Anyway we was not being let through this time and had to tolerate this the rest of the round. This also included my playing partners buggy running out of battery not once but twice, two exchanges of buggys and 5 holes of us pushing them round. Not what I expect for $180

Anyway I've droned on about the negatives so I should mention the positives, the course itself is just simply stunning, the condition is fantastic and the greens easily the most pure ive putted on. The views are amazing. The course is not difficult and is defiantly a course anyone can play. The 7th and 15th are the holes that stick in the memory. As I write this I am thinking is the course that good or was it just the scenery? I choose to believe the combination of the two make it brilliant.

Anyway we finished our round and a good moan in the pro shop resulted in us being refunded half our fees which was more than we expected. So in a way super customer service, but I am just shocked that such an amazing course which is throwing around the PGA name could be so badly run. They are clearly just using the name to ram as many people onto the course at once and charging ridiculous fees. Clearly the tee times meant nothing as people were teeing off all over the place.

I hope that this was a one off bad day for them, but by the way they just handed half our money back without too much argument I guess it's not. To the starter who laughed at the grand coral, well amigo maybe you should go there and learn some customer service....they carried my clubs, washed my clubs, set up my buggy, gave me water and towels, all for half the price.....

Play it if you get the chance, great course......it's worth putting up with all the negatives above!

1 Thank Maverick750
Fairmont M, Director of Golf at El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Club, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Maverick750,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your most recent visit to our course and we apologize for your less than perfect experience. I would like to assure you that we are refreshing all of our colleagues on our high standards of service. I have sent you an email through Tripadvisor's messaging center in order to receive further details. We hope that we may welcome you back to El Camaleón in the near future.
Kevin Sebulski