“Beach, margaritas, and a nice bed, need I say more?!”
Review of Popol Vuh

Popol Vuh
Ranked #128 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Beach, margaritas, and a nice bed, need I say more?!”
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I'm already planning my next trip!

This was such a great hidden spot, that is such a great value. I stayed with a friend in a Cabaña Tapanco, and it was such a fun surprise to find out that the our place had two rooms, and one you had to take a ladder to get to! It was like our own grown-up treehouse hotel! We had our own bathroom and shower that the staff cleaned every day.

The location I can't rave about more. Popol Vuh is literally steps away from the beach. Bad Boys Restaurant and Bar is right next door, which was such a fun bonus. It was days on the beach, and nights at Bad Boys.

If you want to truly experience Mexico, and you enjoy lots of beach time, good drinks, and fun nights, Popol Vuh is the spot for you.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Brownton, Minnesota
Reviewed December 21, 2010

My husband and I have been married for 8 years. It has been our goal to take a tropical vacation before our 10 th year anniversary. Our friends Summer and Toby invited us to their wedding in Mexico. Well we couldn't pass that opportunity of a life time.
During our visit we stayed with 24 friends for 5 nights at Popol Vuh and two nights in Akumal for the wedding. Akumal was great for the wedding, but we were ready for our last night hoorah back to Popol Vuh.
What can I say it was a trip of a lifetime, you are steps away from the beach, you can take a romantic walk on the ocean and return to their fabulous B&B from 8 -10am. Head to the beach for fun in the sun with Bad Boys just around the corner with excellent pina coladas, margaritas, mojitos, quesidillas, fish tacos etc,. You feel safe & secure, all while experiencing Playa delCarmen w/o the white collar resort. While you are there make sure to visit Manuella's Taco's stand across from Paya Mart and for 80 pesos you get teo Taco's or a Torta. Grab a walking beer for 250 pesos, run to Playa Mart and buy your liquor, enjoy your friends at Popol Vuh....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Popol Vuh made my trip wonderful. Alex is very accomodating. The beds were PHENOMENAL. I didn't expect a hostel to be so nice. I want everyone who goes to Playa del Carmen to stay at Popol Vuh. Great for children also.

Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Khollins2
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This was my 3rd stay at Popol Vuh and every time it keeps getting better! My Mother and I were in MX planning my wedding. Next month we will be having 24 of our wedding guest staying there and I am confident they will get the same service and experience we have in the past. I told all of them (many of whom are not frequent travelers) if they were expecting a hotel, they may be disappointed, but if they think of camping it will be 5 STAR camping and they will have an amazing trip and an amazing adventure! Since the many improvements that have been made at this B&B it it's even better than 5 STAR camping!

The breakfast at the new popol-vuh restaurant is very good, especially considering it's included with the low nightly rates. The location could not be better, it is STEPS from the beach, the bus and the fun of 5th Avenue. The rooms are very clean and we have had the fortune of never having any bugs, but there are mosquito nets if needed. Alex and his staff are friendly and accommodating, couldn't ask for better! In the evening, if you are not joining in the fun in the garden, you can easily drown out the noise with the electric fans in each room.

During my stays there I have seen travelers alone in their room, playing guitar, seeking solitude-solo travelers meeting others and enjoying the company of new friends-and (my favorite) groups of friends traveling together enjoying the feel of having your "own place" in Mexico. I am so very excited to go back and have all of my friends experience this (non tourist ridden, NON resort) experience in Mexico!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Schoonhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I have stayed in this accomadation in Playa several times. It is located straight of the beach. The rooms all come with a private table and chairs in the garden which is a big advantage compared to regular hotelrooms.
The owners are really friendly and they like to throw parties in the tropical garden! Rooms are basic, but give good value for money. I would recommand this place to anyone who likes to stay close to the beach but doesn't want to spend too much money for the accomodation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Right on the beach... hosts are great, very helpful and put on a BBQ on the weekend for everyone to chill out at. The rooms are cabanas (little hut style rooms), very nice comfortable and clean...It's close to the shops, restaurants and clubs, walking distance to everything. Loved it and would definitely recommend it... the hosts were definitely the best part and they created such a great atmosphere amongst their guests.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Stayed at Popol Vuh for a total of 14 days with a bunch of friends. Rooms are what you would expect from a good budget B&B. Clean and spacious enough (depending on which room type you choose).
Showering facilities are just fine but could use a little upgrade :) Same goes for the locks on the doors. The gate is locked from 11pm and you would need to be some sort of master thief to get in though.

It's very close to the beach, which got extended in january 2010, so it's even bigger and more beautiful now.
There's a garden sort of thing with a small kitchen and a bbq available for for all visitors, which we used a lot of the time (Walmart was within walking distance and had everything for a good bbq).

The host couple, Alejandro and his wife, are great hosts and extremely friendly. Always helpful and willing to help you as much as they can.

Another bonus was the breakfast which was surprisingly good! (at least that's what I thought).

Would recommend this place to anyone going to PDC.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple