“Beautiful, Great Location, Amazing Staff, Lovely Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Cielo

Hotel Cielo
Ranked #26 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful, Great Location, Amazing Staff, Lovely Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Cielo for only one night, but it was wonderful. I booked the least expensive room, even after reading a few reviews stating that these rooms left a lot to be desired. That was not our experience at all. I thought the room was great, especially for the price. The bed was firm (how I prefer it) and a good size. There was a complimentary breakfast in the morning which included a choice between eggs and something else, I can't remember--but it wasn't just toast and juice. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The hotel had a very breezy, South American feel to it. I really liked that. Also, it is only steps away from the beach and 5th ave. We had a rental car and thought parking would be a hassle as none is provided. We lucked out and found a great (and free!) spot only 5 blocks away near a big government type building. Otherwise, I think you have to pay $10 to park in a surface lot nearby. All in all, this is a wonderful place to stay and a fantastic value. I know where I'll stay next time I am in Playa!

1 Thank MundoVagabunda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

Very nice place, clean, staff was very helpfull.
We stayed at the hotel the first week of our vacation in Mexico.
The hotel is very well located near the shopping street in the center.
The beach is only a few metres away, walk a little bit further to Fusion (bar restaurant)
It's a nice place to hang out on the beach all day :)
The hotel had some plumbing problems, but we where not bothered by it at all.
We stayed in room 13 the first days, then they moved us to another room (21, a very nice one! with a balcony, ask for this room if you don't mind the music in the evening)
The seccond week we did a tour by car; valladolid, Merida, Campechi (very nice!) We asked if we could come back at the hotel after this week, and was no trouble at all.
Breakfast is simple but nice, try the buffet in the restaurant nearby if you want a change or if you want to leave early in the morning. (breakfast at the hotel starts at nine)
Cozumel is worth a visit, as is Tulum (renting a car is cheap)
We had a super time in Playa del Carmen, lots of shops, restaurants and bars!

1 Thank DTravelgirl
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I, along with another couple we were travelling with, stayed at the Hotel Cielo for the first three nights of our Playa trip. I had booked both rooms online, and when we arrived, we were greeted with an upgraded room. I had asked for two rooms with balconies, and my husband and I were given a balcony room with a king bed and two twin beds. Although we did not need the extra beds, the room was nice and large and quite enjoyable! We overlooked calle 4 and enjoyed watching the parade of people along Quinta, while not being directly above on Quinta. We also had a view of the ocean from our balcony, which was a wonderful treat! The free breakfast at Carboncito's was limited, but enough to get you started for the day. What we truly enjoyed was watching an orange juice vendor cycle his way up 4th, set up his cart, and start squeezing his oranges. The juice was wonderful! Once he sold out for the day, usually by 10 a m, then he would cycle off for the day. We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Cielo, although I am a light sleeper, and did have to run the air conditioning at night to block out most of the street noise. This would not be a problem if you are in a room further back in the hotel without the balcony. The small garden just inside the entrance is lovely, and the rooftop bar is not to be missed, at least for the views. I would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank MX_Beach_Lover_KC
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

All I wanted was a quiet, moderate priced hotel near the bus station for 1 night after a week in Xcalak to be positioned near the airport for an early-ish flight back home. The Hotel Cielo was perfect for my needs, and I would definitely stay there again.

My priority for hotels of this type is simple - clean, quiet and most importantly - a quiet air conditioning unit! The Hotel Cielo delivered. My standard inside room didnt have much of an exterior window, but it was fine for a night. Completely quiet. I met the people down the hall with the rooms facing the street - they were huge with a king and 2 double beds.

I also had the best towels and sheets for my entire 11 night stay. The pillows were a little hard, but I didnt ask about getting a soft one, since I carry my own tiny down travel pillow.

The staff were wonderful! Any encounter was friendly and authentic. While I didnt eat in the hotel (and had to leave before breakfast), I did have a drink on the roof with the guys from Carbonitos - very friendly. And, because they dont distribute Negra Modelo in Xcalak, it was great to have a dark beer on the roof with that view!

The deposit for the safe was $50, but it was tiny, so I'm glad I opted to just lock my valuables in my bag. For 1/2 a day it was no big deal to walk around with my money belt - and I always carry the camera gear around anyway....

The location is perfect. 2 minute walk from the bus station, 2 minutes to the beach, where there are a variety of beach clubs.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank evening
Italia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

Arrived in Playa late at 2 a.m. on 18th January. The room was smelly due to some problems with the WC sink. So I complained with the receptionist (Henry) and I had to move to the only room available, a small one on the ground floor. Henry apologized and promised he would solve the problem on the next day. And actually I got a free upgrade to a very nice suite (!)

The hotel is in the very centre of Playa, 10 meters from the main pedestrian area. It is clean and nice and the breakfast is very good as well. The staff is very kind and especially Henry is extraordinary. I strongly recommend it. The free Wi-Fi access from the rooms is very useful.

1 Thank Oxys
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

i felt like i was at my friends house. the staff all became friends and the service was very personal and punctual. i never had to hesitate to ask for information.......

the restrauant on site delivers all your wishes
with a signature homemade pumkin salsa that makes you leave your diet ...
and always fresh dishes..!

of course the local is great
across from the beach and near the bus
its relatively quiet and close to all the action

would i go again ?
mucho more times!

enjoy

2 Thank harry011
detroit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

I booked two rooms at this hotel on-line for my husband and myself and another couple. I am always nervous booking something we haven't seen in person first, but was pleasantly surprised! We stayed at the Marriott in Cancun for a half of week and then Hotel Cielo for the other half of week. While it was no Marriott I have to say because of the staff, clean rooms and location we all enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Cielo probably even more. The French Toast which is included with the room rate in the morning was to die for. We also had drinks which were served with chips and salsa the first night and dinner the second night at the restaurant below. Don't leave without trying the pumpkin salsa (we tried getting Russell to ship some to us, lol) and the shrimp brochette(sp?) was delicious! Thanks to all of the staff for making our stay so enjoyable!!

2 Thank jermjerm