“Great boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Cielo

Hotel Cielo
Ranked #17 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I am a regular traveler to Playa Del Carmen for both tourism and business reasons. I have stayed at different hotels over the few years I have been coming to Playa. That said, Hotel Cielo is now going to be my first choice from now on. The location is amazing, a block away from the beach, and right off 5th Avenue, the famous shopping street in Playa. I am always concerned with noise level and I was amazed at how quiet the room was considering the location of the hotel. I asked for a room at the back of the hotel, and it was great. No balcony or view, but comfortable and relaxing and just outside my room was stairs leading to the roof, which is being renovated and will soon have a small bar and seating area, and I was fortunate enough to be able to use it as my own personal balcony. The view is amazing, overlooking the ocean and 5th Avenue. I was able to spend time with the owner (Steven) and his wife (Alejandra) and they are amazing people. They make you feel at home and go out of their way for you. When I first checked in, the air conditioner wasn't working, and Steven himself came up and tried getting it to work. They were going to offer me an upgrade, but the hotel was full. Instead Stephen bought me a drink at the restaurant (Carboncitos) and kept me company, while we waited for the maintenance person to come fix it. I gained a lot of respect for Steven, when he started giving recommendations for restaurants away from the tourist district, and did not just promote his own restaurant. If you are looking for a local experience away for the crowded tourist, you will receive it from Steven. (Not on,y is the food better, but the prices are way better) But I do highly recommend that you try the Tacos Al Pastor in the restaurant as it is the best Al Pastor in all of Playa. (And I have tried a lot of Al Pastor) In the end after 10 days at Hotel Cielo, I felt I was leaving a new home, not just another hotel. Right from the owners to all the staff, I was treated as a friend not just another paying customer. I will be making Hotel Cielo my first choice when coming to Playa. I highly recommend Hotel Cielo, as the price, the amenities, and decor is great, but the service is what makes this Hotel what it is.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you Brian for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that we were able to help create a great vacation experience for you.

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success & we could not do it without them

We are delighted that you had a chance to experience our warmth & charm & especially that that you consider us your first choice....it really means a lot
great dining experience

Brian , we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

And dont forget....Hotel Cielo & Carboncitos are approaching their "10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY !!! "

Keep checking in on us at Face Book or www.hotelcielo.com …. wait until you see what we have in store for YOU !!!

We will be Celebrating the whole Entire Year with specials….its gonna be BIG !!!!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Cielo

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Position is right off the main strip and close to beach which suits people wanting to be close to the action. But note there is no parking ad you'll have to pay privately.

The rooms are well decorated with typical styling features from Yucatan. My room had two balconies with a partial sea view and was large enough to make me feel at home.

The breakfasts are good and you receive a 50% discount.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you Calum for taking the time to write your review.

We know you traveled a great a great distance for your vacation, so we are delighted that you enjoyed yourself & you had a great vacation experience.

Calum. we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Playa in the middle of October for a last minute vacation. Since I work for an airline we had to make our reservations last minute and chose Hotel Cielo based off the location and the great reviews. When we arrived it was only a few minute walk from the ADO bus stop and only a few minute walk from the beach! We were greeted by the front desk employee Abraham, who was an amazing help throughout our whole stay. The rooms were authentic and what we expected from a boutique style hotel. The hotel is right on 5th ave, the main street for all shopping, dining and nightlife options. One of the best perks was the restaurant downstairs at the hotel called Carbocitos. You get 50% of breakfast and 10% off all other meals. The food was amazing, the staff was awesome and lively AND if you are a fan of spicy salsa, ask for "Steve's special salsa". Steve is the General Manager of the hotel and restaurant and we shared a passion for extremely spicy salsa. He said his staff always tries to make a spicy enough salsa for him and when I tried it, it was incredible! Overall, great place to stay for the price when in Playa.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MattDunks
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you Matt for taking the time to write your review

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success.

We are glad you enjoyed our restaurant Carboncitos as well......that was some spicy sauce that night.

Matt, we know there are many hotels in Playa, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo / we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Hotel Cielo was the last stop in our honeymoon tour of this area of Mexico. We booked a room with a King size bed and balcony, and it also had a great view of 5a Avenida (and the beach beyond.) The hotel is within a few blocks of the ferry to Cozumel and right in the middle of the tourist zone of Playa.

The room and furnishings were nice - we had a king bed and two double beds, and the King bed was the most comfortable mattress during our entire stay there! There was some kind of amazing foam topper on it and the A/C pointed directly at the bed so we slept like rocks (though the A/C took quite some time to cool the room down - the windows and doors aren't insulated so I wasn't surprised.) It was wonderful to sit on the balcony and watch the tourists go by at night. We did have to step out of our room to get the Wifi signal, which was the only major inconvenience as we needed to check into our flight and the signal wasn't quite strong enough.

The breakfast (50% off! Woo!) at Carboncito's is delicious. I had the Chilaquiles one morning and the french toast the next - both tasty. The french toast disappeared especially quickly, and the croissants are perfectly toasted. Didn't get a chance to eat dinner there though - next time!

The best part about Cielo was the people. We caught the owner (Steven, was that you? Where do you guys buy your soap and shampoo? I am hopelessly addicted to them now) outside reception at one point and he took a good 20 minutes out of his day to talk to us about everything from the meat in Mexico to the mattresses to how great the doctors and dentists are in the country. All of the reception and housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful as well.

The location can't be beat - close to the tourist center, but within walking distance of places that are a bit more interesting and off the beaten track. Close to the ADO as well! Definitely recommend Hotel Cielo if you are in Playa!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you Wanderlust for taking the time to write your review

"Most Comfortable Beds in Mexico"........I will have to agree......I even bought one for my own home because they were so dreamlike.

Wanderlust, we know there are many hotels in Playa, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
Owner / manager

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, what they don't mention in the description is their amazing restaurant and the discounts off your meals if you're a hotel guest - 50% off breakfast? Yes please!!!

Anyway to the hotel. We chose an ocean view room and to be honest I almost sprained my neck trying to see the ocean. They may well be up against some trade description claims in future ;-) But that aside, the room was perfect; very large comfortable bed, WiFi, flat screen TV... couldn't have asked for more.

The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and English speaking for those whose Spanish is limited, like mine. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Location wise you are slap bang in the middle of 5th Avenue and a two minute walk to the beach, coach station, coffee shops, bars....

If you're visiting Playa you won't do better than this hotel for the price, restaurant and service.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fostermattj
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you Fostermattj for taking the time to write your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your self & had a great stay.

As for the view, that is exactly what it is, we are very explicit in our description that we are a block from the beach & all photos on our site are accurate portrayal. We would never want to mislead any of our future guests & you are the first to mention it. We never say beach front & balcony with sea view is correct terminology, was confirmed legally before posted, our apologies that you felt differently.

With that aside, we are happy that you were happy, thank you for mentioning our comfy beds, our restaurant & especially our staff, they really do go out of their way.

Fostermattj, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when your return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We live in Cozumel and on our way back from a trip to Europe we missed the ferry and had to stay a night in Playa. Some of our customers had told us of good experiences at Hotel Cielo and since it's only about a block and a half from the bus station we thought we'd give it a try. Outstanding!! They accommodated my wife and I, our two children and the dog for one night. We were expecting some "bare bones" lodging for the evening because of the price, but wow, comfortable beds, every room is unique and somebody knows how to maintain a property. Anyway, that was only one night, my wife and I had the chance to get off the island for a couple days to unwind and get some shopping done for our biz and decided to try them again. We can't say enough about this place.... but I'll try... Clean, great service at front desk, comfortable rooms, beautiful creative decorating and design, functional, quiet and they give you a whole list of restaurants with HUGE discounts... we'll be back!

Room Tip: Room 24 is our favorite!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wetwendys
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you Wendy for taking the time to write your review

Wendy , it was a pleasure meeting you & your family .

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay yet again.

Wendy, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for continuing to choose Hotel Cielo

Reviewed October 8, 2013

we always stay here for our first night in playa. catch ADO for airport to playa and walk a few block to cielo. everyone is so nice. they always take care of us and will give us a great room. this hotel has a geart location and price. always clean , nice beds and great staff. we will be back in may 2014. we have stayed here 7 or 8 times now and just love it. and a great deal for breakfast. see ya soon

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nc-1traveler

Thank you NC1 Traveler for taking the time to write your review

2 ND HOME......We love it that you feel this way & your review lets us know we are on the right path.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay once again with Hotel Cielo & look forward to seeing you return in May

N/C, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen so thank you for continuing to choose Hotel Cielo