“the most amazing place of the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Cocos Cabanas

Cocos Cabanas
Ranked #111 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This place is awsame , The CABAÑAS are very PRETTY they are a mix of nature of the jungle and of the caribean sea with their turquies water and her with sand , the food is DELICIUS , THE PIZZA UM....... IT´S EXCELLENT . THE ATENTION IS KIND AND FUN , MS.Silvia IS AN EXCELLENT PERSON . I LOVE YOU MS.Silvia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Our first day of our trip to the Yucatan this year we're staying at Coco's Cabananas and loving it. This is a very small (6 cabanas ) hotel run by the on site owners Sylvia and Helmut. We're staying in the Purple Cabana and the newer Brown and Green cabanas also offer a kitchenette. I've included photos as they're absolutely beatiful. The food here is excellent and the service here has been exceptional. The bartentender Victor even climbed a palm tree so my wife could have fresh coconut.....now that's service.
This place is not easy to find, it's approx. 3-4 miles north of Playa Del Carmen next to Petite Laffitte Resort and not directly on the beach. You'll have to walk approx. 60 yards to get to the beach. The best way to describe this place is cute and cozy. That's what makes it great. If you're looking for a nice quiet couples escape....this is it.

Room Tip: Brown or Green cabanas are the newest and have extra ammentiteis
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2012

When we first arrived, expecting friendliness and welcoming we were treated gruffly, and asked to get out of the way - it didn't really improve after that, the first room they showed us opened directly onto the bar - with louvered doors it meant absolutely NO PRIVACY at all. We begged for a different room, and they did move us, but the palapas which look so photogenic are a bit shabby and the lighting is difficult. They charge an outrageous $3 for a bottle of water, and in general the place was so noisy, it's right next to a kind of garbage dump, and the beach isn't swimmable that is nearby... We didn't even try the restaurant, breakfast was minimal and the second morning they only had old, not really edible fruit with the cheap cereal. I had hoped for a really romantic sweet place, I heard it used to be like that but this place just feels run down....

Room Tip: Don't get the cabana next to the restaurant...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lovejoy2012
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We have visited this resort so many times we have lost count...

Our latest trip was Aug 2011 and we are looking forward to a 15 night trip coming up in Feb 2012. It will be our 25 wedding anniversary.

Our first trip was the first time we had ever gone on a real vacation without our kids. that was probably the best thing we ever did and we kept right on doing it. Why screw up a good thing.

This tiny slice of paradise has become part of our life. We don't even think of staying anywhere else. If I could move the whole place into my Minnesota backyard I would.

The people that own it are like family to us and they will be like family to you too once you visit.

Food is out of this world - simply wonderful ingredients prepared by the best chef I have ever met.

If you are searching the net and really want to find the place that will be perfect, trust me, stop looking, and book at Cocos. You will not be sorry you did this.

We believe we have been there 16 or 17 times, would someone really do that if they didnt think they had found paradise?

Please feel free to email me anytime with any questions.

Kari

Room Tip: they are all perfect
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KARI3230
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Silvia and Helmut greet me like a family member. This charming small resort with a pool, a Swiss chef, 2 minutes to the beach with GREAT swimming....I continue to stay here because I can find nothing like it...and believe me, as a visitor to this beach for twenty years, I have been looking !

Room Tip: the amarillo palapa/bungalo is my favorite.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Scappi_11
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Coco Cabanas is an oasis in the midst of a stretch of much grander, more expensive hotels. The owners Silvia and Helmet are lovely people who make you feel welcome and have the best food in the area, however the rooms are BARE BONES with no safe, no mini fridge, no coffee maker, no tv or radio (an ipod docking radio would have been nice! esp with loud music coming from the bar outside my room, and from the hotel next door!).

As for the price good for the area and the beach is beautiful, but I paid 1/3 of the price for similiar but better kept accomodations elsewhere. If they took the time to update the rooms with just a few little amenities I'd say it deserved a better rating.

It's also far from the center of Playa Del Carmen so you need to get a taxi or bike (if you can find one!) to town.

Go for the pizza!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank pmonty1
Reviewed September 8, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent a night here on a drive down through Playa del Carmen. Although this is the city where Coco's is listed, it's definitely much further from town. If you are looking for something a little more rugged with an authentic 'hut' feel, this is your spot. We actually booked our stay for three nights, but decided on a whim to explore more of the city and stayed at a variety of places.

I personally grew up going on camping trips, and with no air conditioning so I didn't mind our little hut (sans television and with one small and barely working air conditioner). There were board games and books available at the restaurant right outside, with cozy hammocks swinging next to a tiny pool. The beach was a short and easy walk, and the place next door let us use their beach chairs as long as we made a purchase at the bar (Coronas please)! Dinner was AMAZING with some of the yummiest margaritas I've had.

Our spur change to leave early made us lose our money for the other two nights we booked. Sylvia and Helmut looked heartbroken that we were leaving and thought we didn't enjoy our stay. WE DID! We are just sort of spontaneous when it comes to vacations. They are lovely people and we thank them for their sincere hospitality.

Room Tip: Get the room with the air conditioner (the king bed)
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple