“Great Hotel, Great Location, Bad Beach”

Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel, Great Location, Bad Beach”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My Wife and I spent 4 great nights at Porto Playa. Everything was Amazing. If you enjoy a laid back but beautiful environment this is the perfect hotel for you. The front desk could not have been more helpful. The large water dispenser in the room was amazing and put to good use. We had a top floor penthouse unit with the hottub area. Room 206 has a stairway in the unit so you felt as though it was very private going to the roof deck. We never used the grill as the food in playa is close, cheap and good. We thought the penthouse was worth it and even though ours was smaller then others it was more private and well chosen. There is a hot tub beside the main pool if you don't splurge for the penthouse. The steps were not a problem. Maybe 30 steps total to 3rd floor units. The rooms are quite private but dont offer views. The location is quiet and perfectly located. You couldn't be more central. Only the Beautiful Beaches of Playacar and the Bus Station are decent walks. This brings me to the only fault of the property. Its beach clubindigo is as high end as they come with good service, but you are parked in front of a smelly, dirty beach. People can tell you it ads charm, but it doesn't. They have a partnership with the lighthouse at El Faro where you can get a beach chair and it is much nicer but a little walk. The breakfasts at Imprevist and Indigo are free and good. We actually liked Indigo better even if the buffet was a little weak, as it had a better atmosphere and a breeze. 1 more nice perk was a discount card for many restaurants and bars in the area you get for staying at the condo hotels.
Excellent Hotel

Room Tip: Room 206 has a smaller penthouse deck but private stairway was worth it beyond compare
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jd2734
Condohotels, Owner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear jd2734,
Thank you for sharing your beautiful review with us on Trip Advisor. It pleases me to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you loved your unit and onsite amenities. We always hear such rave reviews about the penthouse units. They definitely offer more space and amenities but also some nice privacy to lounge and relax outdoors in a private setting. You are right, there are many wonderful places to dine out in Playa but its nice to be able to offer our guests the option to BBQ outdoors or cook at home. I have spent a lot of time contemplating about the boats on the beach at Indigo. I really haven't had the heart to ask to remove them because they belong to the old fisherman who settled in Playa for many many years while it was still a small fishing village. For this reason, I felt that the solution to offer additional beach club access at The Lighthouse could be a win win for everyone as it is only just steps away and completely clear for swimming. Aside from this I am glad you enjoyed all the other details of your stay including the perks of the privilege discount card that we give to all of our guests. We hope that you will return back with us again soon at El Taj.

Owner, Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Florida
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We got the suite with the private jacuzzi, BBQ and plaza deck. It was great, the location is very good, one block from the 5 Avenida, and one block from the beach. It is one block from Indigo beach, that we personally did not like because of the amount of boats that are parked on their beach. The beach on the side of Mamitas was super much better, I recommending going that way if you are looking for a nice beach. Either way everything was nice and good.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Javier M
Dear Javier,
Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent review with us on Trip Advisor. I surely appreciate all of the wonderful feedback and nice comments. We are in a fantastic location in the best section of Playa del Carmen. Everything you should ever need or hope for is within perfect walking distance including amazing restaurants and entertainment. You also can take advantage of a beautiful relaxing spa or our elite fitness club - The GYM, only a few steps away from the entrance of Porto Playa. I hope you were able to take advantage of our helpful concierge services during your stay! Concerning the beach, I realize that the boats can sometimes be an issue for our guests. While some feel the boats elevate charm others are looking for areas clear for swimming. Thankfully this is a very isolated area and as a solution we offer complimentary access to our neighboring beach club at the lighthouse beach club at El Faro where we also provide lounge chairs and towels free of charge. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we will see you again soon at El Taj during future stays in Playa del Carmen.

Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The Condo was very nice, main deck area was private enough, hot tubs were relaxing, pool was great..... could swim laps, no sand in your _ _ _ _ , not too late to " make a party" after closing time. Spent a few hours on the front steps watching people and getting to know the staff. All staff were helpful and more than accommodating !

Room Tip: First floor was very handy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Warren T,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your lovely review about Porto Playa on Trip Advisor. It makes me happy to know that you felt that you were well accommodated and in great hands with our kind helpful staff. The grounds and the outdoor amenities are surely beautiful and appreciated by our guests. I hope you were able to take advantage of our full service spa as well as the complimentary access to our elite fitness center at The GYM. Thank you again for your kind review and also for the nice photos. I hope you will return back to Porto Playa during future visits to Playa del Carmen.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We just checked out after spending 4 great nights at the PPC Hotel. Everything was wonderful. The front desk / check-in was easy and everything about the facility was explained. We chose a top floor unit with the hottub area, doing it again, I probably wouldn't pay the extra as we didn't really use it. We had to lock our unit to go up there as it was a seperate area. The hottub was not the nicest so I wouldn't make your decision based on that area, there's a great hottub beside the main pool. I think all the rooms look amazing and also are quite private with all the trees and greenery inside the complex. The location is incredibly quiet given that it's right off of Fifth Ave. The location is fantastic, the staff were amazing, the breakfast at Imprevist was amazing! If you're looking for more of a boutique feel in Playa, I would highly recommend the Porto Playa!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 214 which was great but I wouldn't choose it based on the hottub area as we hardly...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear busy-travellin,
It's so nice to hear that your stay at Porto Playa was wonderful. It really is such a lovely condo hotel with beautiful landscaping surrounding you which, as you mentioned, makes it feel like a private retreat. The penthouse units are amazing for privacy. We offer the hot tubs on the private roof decks for exclusivity, however as you pointed out, there is a great hot tub located in our common area as well. I am pleased that you have such amazing comments about every detail of your stay including your experience at Imprevist. Our prime location proves to be one of the biggest compliments as we are perfectly and centrally located to ever reason why you would come to Playa in the first place - the beach, the 5th Ave, amazing food and awesome entertainment. You will never have to walk far to get to where you wish to be. Thank you again for taking the time to share and I hope that you will return back soon to Porto Playa.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed here 8 nights based on the reviews we read of this hotel in comparison to others in Playa and were not disappointed. Our criteria was to find a relatively quiet and kid-friendly place near Quinta Avenida and near the beach, with a pool and close to food options.

The results?
-You really can't beat this location. It is close to everything- great restaurants, Quinta right around the corner, taxis, grocery stores...
-The condo was really comfortable and spacious. We had a lovely patio which we used often and the bedroom was totally big enough for us to set up a little travel bed for our 4 year old.
-The pool here is GORGEOUS and LOVELY. Seriously, the pictures don't do it justice. We were in there for hours everyday, and in fact our daughter learned to swim in it. It was the most comfortable and beautiful pool I've ever been in. And many times we had it to ourselves.

-The service here was great. Extremely helpful and friendly staff. I speak fluent Spanish and didn't even try with most of them- their English was really impressive. And they were always willing to help.

The few down sides to our stay:
-The kitchen could have been a little better appointed. We mostly just tried to eat lunches here but even then I found a few key things lacking (like a colander or a cheese grater, for example). But the basics (cups, plates, cutlery) are definitely there.
-I didn't have the best sleeps here- the bed was pretty hard and also it was a bit louder than we were expecting at night at times (like you could hear muffled mariachi music from a nearby place until midnight or longer a few nights). At first I was disappointed, as I did a ton of research to find a place where our 4 year old would be able to sleep soundly, but she was so tired from the sun-filled days that she slept through all the music we heard, and if I used earplugs it wasn't too bad either. The last night or two we had some inconsiderate upstairs neighbours who were yelling and stomping around above well past midnight, so I was glad for earplugs then as well.
-This has no bearing on the hotel itself, but we found the beach in Playa to be not as nice as other areas of this coast. There are tons of boats and sea-dos, so it kind of smelled like gas everywhere we went, and it just isn't as pristine as other beaches we've been to elsewhere in Mexico and other countries. Apparently (we were told) if we had made the trek further towards Playacar the beach gets nicer- we didn't do this because it was too long a walk with our daughter, but we would definitely try to check this out if we returned.

Neither of these things would keep me from coming back here. In fact, we think this would be a perfect place to come with other family members or with friends, which we may well do in the future.

Room Tip: We were in 203, on the ground floor and found it to be a great space for 2 adults and a child. We w...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank travelmuppet0
San Carlos, Mexico
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Having frequented Playa del Carmen I have always left wanting more in the way of accomodations. Porta Playa Condo/Hotel was the perfect fit for my needs. I will search no more. The facility is simply beautiful. It is clean, well maintained and tastefully fitted for most any vacation. The gardens within the complex are simply amazing and lend greatly to achieving a quiet and relaxing effect. I simply could not believe I was only 1 block from the bustle of 5th Ave. and 1 block from the beach. We were greeted by a staff that was smiling (what a change!) and willing to accommodate any request at any hour. We were also given complimentary cards for breakfast at near-by Imprevist and Indigo(both great), gym passes(new and impressive), beach club passes, a dinner discount at Plank which in my opinion, is the very best and most unique dinning experience in town (don't miss this even if you stay at another location). I left without even one complaint for my experience at Porto Playa, which almost never happens. I can't wait to book a return visit.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground level, which I expected to be a bit noisy. It was not and we slept peacefu...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Condohotels, Owner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear stevepringle2014,
Wow! Thank you so much for your glowing review! I am beyond happy that we were able to accommodate such an incredible experience on every level. The location is defiantly the perfect fit for someone who seeks peace without having to sacrifice convenience. The beach is literally steps away and you have every possible amenity surrounding you including easy access to the well known 5th Avenue. We offer only the best recommendations based on excellent feedback from our guests and VIPs. I am extremely happy that you felt that level of quality in every establishment that we recommended including your experiences at PLANK, Imprevist, Indigo and the GYM. We will definitely hope to see you back with us for your future stays in Playa del Carmen.

Best,
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We recently enjoyed our second annual visit to Condo Hotels with friends who have stayed in Condo Hotels every year for over a decade. This year, we opted for Porto Playa and it was great. You can't beat the location and proximity to the 5th street food and activities. The condo is very clean and neat. The bed was a bit uncomfortable, but not the worst ever. The pool was amazing and we loved it. The only complaint about the pool would be that there were no restrooms so we had to go back to our condo hotel. We rented bikes in town and the staff was very accommodating to let us store our bicycles in the underground garage. The maid service was excellent and took great care of us. The front office seemed a bit disorganized. They had our transportation billing wrong and then our airport transportation was not easy to organize. Plus, the transportation that they arranged was not nearly as nice as they usually book for us and quite a bit more expensive. We look forward to returning to Playa Del Carmen next year and we hope to try another Condo Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 544carrieh
Condohotels, Owner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Carrie H,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor about your recent visit to Porto Playa. I appreciate the wonderful comments about the onsite amenities, the cleanliness of the rooms and the property overall. We work to meet superior standards to maximize the quality of your stay. About the airport transportation you may have been feeling a bit of the high season prices and the same may apply to the transportation availability as the winter months get extremely busy for the transportation companies we contract with. We always try to seek out the most comfortable transportation at the best prices for our guests. As you mentioned about the mattresses, as part of some routine yearly improvements to the hotels we are addressing this issue by replacing the mattresses in each unit to provide more comfort for our guests. We still have a few rooms left to go but we are nearing completion of replacing all mattresses. I am thrilled that you chose Condohotels for a second time and we surely hope to see you again in the future.

Best,