“A touch of authenticity and beauty in a tourist scam of a city!”

Hotel Playa del Karma
Ranked #129 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“A touch of authenticity and beauty in a tourist scam of a city!”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I accidentally reserved the wring days but Mario accommodated us anyway. The lobby is not air conditioned but the is because the inner area of the hotel is an atrium so it is all open anyway. It is beautiful!! Small pool that gets full of leaves easily since it is surrounded by trees. Small lizards run around, They are so cute. Our second night in the hotel and pipe broke in the room next to use that caused us to have to move rooms. Mario was very apologetic and helped us with our luggage. The rest of our stay was in a nicer room on the top with a great porch and hammock. They manager came to personally apologize and gave us a basket of authentic Mexican candies.

The staff doesn't speak much English but you are in a foreign country so that should be expected everywhere you go. I love this place and will definitely return. If is 3 blocks from beach. 4 blocks from walmart and 5 blocks from some amazing local authentic restaurants. It's so cute they put towels made into different shapes on you bed each day including dog (including sticker eyes), sea monkey, and turkey. Such a cute touch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsGuevara44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I didnt have plans to stay at this hotel I was going to Tulum but I had problem with the rentalcar so I went there just for 1 nigth and the hotel is very small , the rooms are small, the pool also, very small hotel and I was not able to get internet in my room that was the closer to the lobby.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
quesochica
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here on two separate occasions while laying over in Playa del Carmen on our way to another location. So we didn't do an extended stay.

What works: We paid about $60USD, which is a good value for the area. Even though the hotel is on a busy street, all of the rooms face a courtyard and are very quiet. It's off the main drag (believe me, you don't want the main drag) but it's a super easy walk to the restaurants and the beach. Just a block away from the ADO bus station. Best of all- a KING bed which is practically unheard of in the land of the Mayan double bed.

Beware: The interior courtyard is very tranquil and the plunge pool is nice but the moisture and vegetation attract the mosquitos. Lost a pint of blood attempting an evening read in the hammock on the porch. The shaded courtyard also means that the rooms don't get much sun. There isn't really a social scene here so you'll need to hit the beach or bars for that.

I'd recommend this to anyone who wants modest accommodation for a few nights.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wayfaringviews
Bellingham, Wash.
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at Playa del Karma on our last night of vacation before flying home from Cancun. It really makes for a nice relaxing evening and this time we visited the beach club. We had come from Tulum and just wanted to relax for our last night so we had purchased a bus ticket to the airport for the next day. The hotel is a great place to relax and enjoy the cool garden and small pool after a long day of traveling. The beach club has that wonderful white sand and the swimming is great and you can wander down 5th ave. doing some last minute shopping and getting some great ice cream. All and all it's a great place to spend the last night in the Maya Riveria and we will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I found this hotel on Priceline. It was a terrific bargain and I will most definately stay there again. A small hotel with about 15 rooms. My room was perfect - clean, quiet, no issues. The hotel is on 15th Avenue and in the middle of everything. Three blocks to the beach, 3 blocks in the other direction to the MEGA supermarket, 2 blocks to Constitutiones. I walked everywhere and felt 100% totally safe. In my 5 day stay i probably saw 500 police officers - no joke, they are everywhere. Restaurants all around. If 5th avenue if your thing (it is NOT mine) it is a short 2 blocks away. I prefer the local flare instead and walked to 30th Avenue and the more local places. Mario at the front desk was fantastic, had lots of good food tips. I was the only guest using the pool during my 5 day stay but it was warm and clean and well maintained. The pool is surrounded by trees which gives the whole place a rainforest feel, expect to have to take the occasional leaf or two out of the water - no big deal. While I was there they skimmed the pool 3 times a day - it is plenty clean! WiFi does only work in the lobby. My A/C was super cold and froze me out. The hotel is clean, well maintained and quaint - an excellent value. If you expect the IBEROSTAR you will be disappointed, if you expect a basic clean room and a very quaint atmosphere this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: I was in room #10 and it was perfect for me. If given a choice, I may of asked for a room on the sec...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank peterkoke
Guadalajara
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Pros: Excellent Location, lovely staff, Excellent Atmosphere and Decoration of the common areas. Cons: WiFi is only available in the Lobby; no WiFi inside your room. The AC in my room wasn't working, luckily it wasnt very hot but i can't imagine staying there during July or August without AC. And another disappointing feature was the breakfast. We payed the "breakfast included rate" but it was just coffee, juice and toast.. I would recommend the hotel, and definitely be coming back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mafer O
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Nice small hotel, excellent position, clean, quieter, the price are good, the garden is beautiful and the staff are excellent. Good option.

Room Tip: very close to the beach, bus station and also close to the super market and the 5th av.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple