“I am tellin' you... walk the PLANK!”

PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar
Ranked #41 of 1,311 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: International, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: PLANK offers a unique & fine dining experience like no other in the region. We're located on a quaint street right off 5th ave with an upscale sophisticated atmosphere Our concept focuses on a special cooking technique designed to delicately infuse natural flavor by cooking our food directly on Himalayan salt stones and wooden planks! We feature a gourmet family style menu including USDA certified beef, prime seafood selections, gourmet flatbreads and large shareable side dishes. Be sure to try our signature creations including Cedar Plank Salmon or our Famous Beef Wellington or our tender Twin Baby Lobster Tails! We're also the perfect venue if your celebrating a special occasion (let us know). For reservations click on our web site.
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Its a few meters off of 5th avenue, but still nestled in the heart of Playa. Really, you're no more than a few blocks from a Starbucks in any direction, but you're quickly transported to an intimate setting you'd find dining in an international city, away from fumbling tourists and barking street vendors. Apart from the trendy design, good music and the BEST wait staff in Playa, there is the food.

Plank's namesake is, well, its planks. If you're unfamiliar, this is a cooking technique that involves cooking veggies, poultry, meat or fish on a slab of cedar or salt. Its delicious. My girlfriend and I have eaten here three times in the past year. We went the first time based on a number of personal recommendations, and have been pleasantly reminded why we come back the other two times.

Here's the foody stuff: The beef welly is a hit. Perfectly cut and cooked medium-well (to my spec), wrapped in a crisscross pie pastry that drapes down to the plate (err...plank). As with all the dishes, its served with a delicious sauce for you to dip your fork into. I coupled this with some potatoes parmesan. Wonderful. Last night we dined on salmon and I had the kebabs which was a unique presentation of speared beef, chicken and vegetables; zucchini, onion, carrot, etc.; vertically suspended on skewers. I am a fan of having fun with my food, so this worked out perfectly and yummy, through and through. I should mention the sauce and flatbread that they start you off with offers a nice hint of what's to come and instantly initiates table conversation regarding the various complimentary ingredients. The sauces are delicious and translate into smiles and comments like... "wow, that's cool". If they decide to bottle the tomato one, I want futures on a case.

In the event that you have been overwhelmed with reviews regarding steak and other meaty dishes, IF there is a vegetation in your midst, don't worry. Plank has a menu that can work for for you. My girlfriend is vegetarian (eats salmon occasionally) and loves it there like I do. I do not eat anything from the sea; but there's a tonne of seafood on the list that I can confidently assume, based on personal observations of other patrons and recommendation from my girlfriend, that its on par with all that I have eaten here.

Good cocktails and the wine list is paired well with the menu choices.

Five stars. I will absolutely be back soon.

1  Thank Kevan M
PlayaAssoc, Guest Relations Manager at PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Guest,
Wow! We are so thrilled to hear such a raving review from one of our loyal guests. We are happy that we have been able to offer you several incredible experiences throughout the year. You are right, our menu is completely diverse and there is always something for every taste and craving. You nailed it all perfectly! Thank you again and we do hope to see you again soon at Plank in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Quiet restaurant just off the Busy 5th Ave. I and the family love a good steak. we ate here a few times and we always had a really good meal. My favourite was the fillet mignon. very tender and beautifully presented. They cook the food in an usual manor and it shows in the flavour. Very good service, and although not the cheapest restaurant in town, I would say it was still very good value as it was really a fine dining restaurant.

PlayaAssoc, Guest Relations Manager at PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
We are so happy that you had not one, but several excellent dining experiences with us at Plank. Consistent comments show that our filet Mignon and our Beef Wellington are considered among the very best in the entire restaurant business. The combination of using USDA certified cuts of meat with the uniqueness of our cooking process brings to life a beautiful and simply wonderful filet that will send you home talking. We thank you for your business and your very kind review! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

During our 2 week stay in Playa Del Carmen, our family of 4 (Mum, Dad & 2 boys aged 15 & 12) visited Plank on two ocassions; the second, of course because we enjoyed our first visit so much. The concept is innovative and the menu varied - none of us ate the same item off the menu on our second visit. The front of house staff are courteous, well-mannered, friendly and attentive. I enjoyed both main meals I ordered - tuna steak (and I am not a big fish eater) and the steak. My wife had a wonderful beef wellngton which was beautifully cooked. Children were delighted by duck & chicken. Word of warning - the chicken pot pie as a starter is incredibly filling...don't have it AND a main course!

PlayaAssoc, Guest Relations Manager at PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your excellent review with us on Trip Advisor. We are more than happy to hear you had two incredible experiences with us during your two week stay in Playa. All of your choices are wonderful. Next time give our twin baby lobster tails a shot! They are simply amazing. Our concept is a family style concept which means portions are large and there is plenty of room for sharing. Thank you agaim and we do hope to see you next time you visit Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We only had appetizers and drinks and really enjoyed the vibe. It is a little off 5 th ave and was not crowded at 5 pm. The menu looked interesting but we had our kids with us so passed for a more kid friendly restaurant.

1  Thank Jeff D
PlayaAssoc, Guest Relations Manager at PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review with us on Trip Advisor. We are happy you were able to enjoy a nice experience at our bar with some great drinks and apps! Hopefully you got to try out one of our signature smoky cocktail creations during your visit! We hope that next time you will get the opportunity to join us for dinner. We are a family restaurant are gladly accommodate children of all ages.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I would rate excellent under any gourmet criteria, the ambiance is undisturbed, nested away from the 5th Ave strip, closer to the quiet 1st Ave, I enjoyed the presentation of every dish, well coordinated attention from the staff, the aroma and textures of each expertly prepared dishes. Great Chef!!
Plank is well worth the raving reviews.

PlayaAssoc, Guest Relations Manager at PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Guest,
It is so wonderful to receive such outstanding words! Thank you for all of your kind comments and for taking the time to share. Chef Juan Diego truly goes beyond expectations on all levels, using a concept so unique and beautiful that really has to be experienced. Our concept focuses on natural infusion of flavor by cooking directly on Himalayan Salt blocks or wooden planks of Cedar, Alder or Cherry woods diminishing the need for any kind of artificial flavoring. We are so happy you felt our style is a success and we hope you will return back with us soon!