“Great Place to Vacation”

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #40 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New Jersey
“Great Place to Vacation”
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya from June 30-July 6. From the moment we arrived, we were treated extremely well. From the lobby, which was absolutely beautiful, to the landscaped gardens, everything was exceptionaly clean and manicured. They were constantly taking care of the property. You really felt as if you were living in a palace. We were catered to the entire vacation. The servers were always coming around asking if we wanted a drink and they were always pleasant. Our dinners at the restaurants were absolutely delicious and never had a problem getting a reservation. The buffets for breakfast and lunch were incredible. They had a wonderful variety of food and plenty of it. There was always something fun to do whether at the pool playing Bingo or riding on the Bobcat in the ocean. The shows at night were a lot of fun as well. We had a wonderful time and we will definately return.

• Liked — I like that it was all inclusive
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything that I didn't like
2 Thank NewJerseyBeachgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,041)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My wife and I had a beautiful destination wedding. If you're considering this as an option I highly reccomend it. The hotel has beautiful grounds and the staff is fantastic.

When you schedule the wedding you receive the service of the wedding coordinator who is fantastic. She took care of everything, including the priest, photographer, location, music, cake, reception dinner etc. We were able to plan our whole wedding with 7 guests for under $6,000 including our room for 7 nights and airfare from Chicago.

I recommend taking a day trip to Chichen Itza. Their is also a great bar in town, if you walk into town and start walking away from the touristy area you will come upon a a bar with chairs that are bascially rope swings that hang from the ceiling. You can't miss it, the bartender keeps you entertained with simple bar riddles, it's fun.

We were very happy with our decision and we think you will be as well!

• Liked — Very helpful staff, great recommendations, very clean, and good food.
  • Disliked — Lunch wasn't the greatest.
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Charlie99Chicago
'Burgh, PA
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Apologize for the tardiness in my review. Booked a 3-night stay with Robert at TravelByBob with non-stop air from Pittsburgh thru USA 3000. The staff at this resort is incredible. Islas the bartender in the lobby bar is an incredible person and an amazing bartender. The sportsbar there was great as well. We were privileged enough to be there when Chivas played America (equivalent to Red Sox vs. Yankees) & had a good time watching the game with a lot of the staff. I highly
recommend the Brazilian Restaurant. The meat is so tender & just keeps coming at you. Incredible!! I highly recommend this resort to all, families, couples, honeymooners, etc. Great resort with a great location (5 minute walk to PdC)

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank brs0956
New Jersey
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya. We had stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun last year, and decided to return to another Riu property based on a great experience last year. This hotel certainly lives up to it's star (or Apple) rating. The service was excellent from the minute we checked in at the front desk to the moment we checked out six days later. Even though we arrived at the hotel early, we were immediately given our room keys and allowed to settle in. The room is large, immaculate and well equipped. Having a stocked refrigerator with various sodas / water, etc., is so nice. And don't believe what you have read about the "hard beds". We loved them and slept like babies every night. The food was outstanding, from the buffets to the individual specialty restaurants. There was never a time where you couldn't find something you didn't just love. Although the reservation system continues to be somewhat of an inconvience, it is an improvement over last year. You can now make reservations for two days ahead, and you visit just one central reservation desk. The evening entertainment was OK, some shows better than others, but sometimes just walking around this beautiful hotel after dinner and enjoying the atmosphere was the best thing to do. We did two separate excursions: 1)snorkeling / diving in the cenotes with a small company over at 5th Avenue (can't remember the name). Did NOT like the trip. My husband enjoyed the scuba diving in the cenotes, two separate dives, but for us snorkelers, we spent so much time waiting around, that it was such a waste for us. Our experience last year with Alltournatives (Jungle Crossing) was much better! 2) catamaran trip to Isles Mejueris - OK trip, but next time, I would just take the ferry over and hop on a separate snorkeling / dive trip. The water was so clear and there was a lot to see, but the tour we were on didn't allow us enough time to really appreciate it. The other thing we really enjoyed was our message at the Riu - for $50.00, we received one hour messages with "Jorge" and "Carmelita". Excellent! Overall, a great trip and I would highly recommend this property for a vacation. Two trips to a "Riu" and two wonderful experiences.

• Liked — Quality of service
  • Disliked — Beach access (but other beaches very close by)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank TerryNJ
Washington DC
Reviewed July 11, 2007

My wife and I just got back from our 25th wedding anniversary celebration and we are very happy with our choice of the RIU Palace Rivera Maya. We were there from June 22nd – June 29th 2007 and our experience was great. I’m going to break things down into categories.
Staff - From the moment we arrived until we left for the airport the staff was excellent. They went out of there way to make sure we were having a great time. We didn't walk past a staff person without being greeted with a warm smile and a Hola! The entertainment staff was engaging and energetic. They made us feel like this was more than just a job to them. They seemed to sincerely care that we were having a good time.
Rooms – The room was very nice, clean and we had a wonderful courtyard view. If I had to knock anything it would be the concrete beds. These beds were beyond firm however, if you ask they will provide a foam (egg crate) cover over it which makes it bearable. We had a little trouble with our card key, but they immediately sent someone to fix it for us. The housekeeping staff did a great job personalizing there work with towels folded into animal characters. If you’re a light sleeper you may want to bring ear plugs. You may hear a few doors slamming as people come in late. The doors are solid wood and all the floors are tile so it tends to echo down the halls a bit.
Restaurants – We ate at every restaurant on the property and enjoyed all of them. They have five and you need to make reservations in advance for all but the buffet. The buffet has a different theme each night so I recommend if you check the schedule and factor that in when you’re making your reservations. Take this for what it’s worth, but we found that the fillet mignon was a bit tough and not very flavorful. On the other hand the rib-eye was just the opposite.
Pools - I walked through every RIU property and in my opinion the Palace Riviera Maya was laid out the best. I like the size and the unobstructed view of the entire pool area. The entertainment staff sets up water volleyball on one end of the large pool and holds daily exercise sessions in the center which was very popular. They also offered free diving lessons in the pool twice a day. The pool area was clean and had plenty of cushioned beach chairs available. They also provide you with a towel card which you exchange for a clean beach towel when you need it. You simply return the towel and get your card back. So save the packing space you won’t need towels.
Beach – While it’s true the beach erosion is significant there is still a nice swim able beach area and the beaches on the other properties are available and very nice. One half of the Palace beach area is rocky and the other is beautiful. I’m posting two beach pictures that illustrate what I mean. One picture was taken from center property looking left and the other center right.
Chichen Itza Tour – I know this has nothing to do with the Hotel, but I wanted to mention this tour. It was a full twelve hours with much of it being travel time, but it was well worth it. I highly recommend it. However, be warned that the tour bus will stop at a gift store on the way and while it’s true they will barter and you’ll walk away feeling like you got a good deal you will find better deals inside Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza has several flee market vendors on the park streets, and they have excellent prices.
Airport - Again I know this has nothing to do with the Hotel, but be warned that when you arrive in the Cancun airport lobby you will be greeted by men warring Hawaiian shirts that seem to be like a welcoming committee. In fact they are trying to get you to visit client resorts and I’m told even though they claim otherwise you will be hit up for time shares. Use your own discretion, but beware!

The bottom line is we absolutely loved the resort and would definitely go there again in the future. I might consider packing a light air mattress next time, but I would definitely recommend this Hotel.

• Liked — The attitude of the staff.
  • Disliked — The solid rock beds
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KT22193
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2007

My husband and I just returned from the resort and feel completely reviatilized. The staff was very helpful and kind. They always greeted us with a smile and remembered our favorite drinks. We loved the pool and thought the food was above average to exceptional for an all-inclusive. There are five restaurants to choose from for dinner so you're bound to find at least one you love. The only thing we didn't like about our visit was the lack of a beach. We couldn't walk along the beach because the ocean came up so far (it didn't matter what time of day). The sandy area leading up to the beach is beautiful with palm trees, white sand and even hammocks to relax in. Our room and balcony were spacious. The bed was hard but you can request a foam "egg crates" to make it softer.
Although there were a few things we'd like to change, the resort is beautiful and the staff amazing.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — beach
California
Reviewed July 4, 2007

We took our 2 adult children (21 & 18) and my husbands parents for a 1 week stay at the Riu and had a great time. This was my husband and my 5th trip to an all-inclusive in the Playa area ( we stayed at Secrets, Riu Palace and the Moon Palace) and this was great for all ages. When we were there in mid June there was a lot of children of all ages which surpried us because last year at the Riu Palace there was no children the whole week we were there. I will not write the same things others have already told you but i would ignore the negative reviews because those people must have had a negative view on every little thing that might not be perfect. Sure the beds were hard but after a day in the sun and a couple drinks I slept like a baby. Maybe you won't like all the food they prepare, believe me there is always something you will find to eat. The place is beautiful and the staff is wonderful. Your on vacation, enjoy!

• Liked — The pool scene
  • Disliked — The beach
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#89 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!