“This place is perfect”

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #45 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Travelled here the last week of September

The hotel is beautiful, clean, and has a great layout. Everything is a decent walk from the rooms. You have access to all the Riu hotels in this area, but after checking them out we stayed at ours. It was the nicer of the 5.
The rooms are very nice if you upgrade to a superior suite so your facing towards the courtyard. It is best to get a room halfway between the lobby and pool. We had an issue with the fan almost falling off the ceiling, but after several attempts with dealing with the front desk, they sent a technician to fix it. He didnt think it was broken, but it was. After we persisted, he fixed it and realized he was in the wrong. This was the only issue we had. They weren't very nice about it.
The food here is 10/10. Honestly, with the amount of 5* places I have been over the years, this place had the best food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Even the room service food, was great. The have club sandwiches with chips. Ordered one most days.
The service is also a 10/10, minus the people at the front desk in the lobby. The pool guys, the restaurant staff, entertainment staff, bar staff were super nice and efficient.
The pools were warm, and the infinity pool was my favorite.
The beach at this hotel was one of the best in the Mayan. No rocks, and they had sandbags to break the waves, which made it nice to lounge in the ocean. Lots of fish so bring your own snorkle gear. There are lots of beach beds, and palapas.
There is a beach bbq with some of the best ribs Ive ever had in Mexico! I couldn't believe it.
The drinks here are all premium brands, never a problem.
The entertainment was only a 5/10 since there wasn't much going on during the day, few activities, and the nightly entertainment was just ok. Worst that Ive seen at the resorts Ive been too. It is a quiet place. It is not a party place. Most people at this resort are older. All the younger people go to the Tequila.
I would go back here in the future. The prices are great for this place in the fall. It is a 5 plus hotel. It was perfect!
Any Questions -let me know

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SarahBE

Reviewed February 1, 2010

While I realize everyone has different standards in regards to their likes and dislikes, this place is a wonderful vacation spot. A vacation is just that... a vacation. Take things in stride, relax, and you'll have a great time. The grounds are spotless, the restaurants and buffet are typical of all-inclusive restaurants, but are delicious, and the staff was super friendly.

We had a fabulous vacation, and stayed there from 1/24-1/31. It was only cloudy one day, and the weather was mostly warm and sunny the entire time. We tried every restaurant there, and we enjoyed them all-- although there is some overlapping depending on what night you eat at the buffet. I actually really enjoyed the Brazilian restaurant (I'm not big on meat) but it was fun and highly recommended. While Kristal was good, I don't think it's worth it's wait (it took us 4-5 days to get a reservation there)... So overall, food is plentiful, perhaps breakfast was a little repetitive-- but no major complaints.

Service was simply wonderful. We tipped, and had no problems getting excellent service, whether that meant a stronger alcoholic beverage, to non-stop service at the restaurant. People are friendly and outgoing if you make the effort, and the environment is very relaxed and enjoyable.

One thing to note: the Mexican gov't is working on the beach, and when we arrived, we were one of the only resorts within 15 min. walking distance that had a nice, large beach. A lot of the other areas surrounding have a tiny beach, or it's been closed for a few days to try and place more sand there. So, this may be a problem if you are booking soon-- but the beach area at this resort is large, just be prepared to maybe look at some large pipes for a few days while laying on the beach.

Walking to Playa Del Carmen was fun and safe, and only 15-20 min away. It was easy to navigate to, and there's plenty to see and eat and do there. There's also a small plaza for shopping towards the other Riu's-- where there's a Starbucks if you're craving it, about a 5 min. walk from the hotel. Otherwise, I thought that area was overpriced for shopping.

Also, it was helpful to realize that in the sports bar at the resort, you can pay a few dollars and use the internet, plus there's boxed food in there-- which was much utilized when we left for our airplane ride home.

The pool is nice, although typically crowded, while the beach area has much more seating. We never had a problem finding lounge chairs anywhere though. Plus, in the resort itself, there's plenty of bar/martini lounge seating EVERYWHERE, which was great.

Our room was pretty basic, nothing special. We had a junior suite, and our mini-bar always seemed to be filled. Plus, there's 4 full-size bottles of liquor in there, which was pretty sweet. You can make a rum and coke right there! Our room was always clean, ours wasn't damp. We were on the 3rd/4th floor, so maybe that made a difference, but we never had any complaints. One recommendation: if you take a shower in the morning, expect hot/cold fluctuations in the water temp. I found if I took a shower between 3pm-7pm, I rarely had that problem.

The resort is fairly quiet, we didn't really stay awake too much for the "nightlife." We're in our late 20's, haha, and just enjoyed relaxing mostly. Plus, we ate most of our meals pretty late, but I heard the entertainment was just ok. I heard some people went into town, or went to other Riu's for more entertainment. We had more fun just chillin.

Basically, this resort had superb service, had immaculate grounds, the food was tasty, the drinks plentiful (recommend bringing your own larger glass- as the glasses they serve are tiny). Plus, it was close to town, had the nicest beach in the area, and is really easy to find your way around.

One other thing to note: the water/waves are a lot stronger than other places I've been to in the Caribbean (such as Punta Cana)-- I'm a little bit of a chicken and was only able to go in the water 2 days-- the rest of the time the waves were too big/choppy. Also, you can't really walk for miles down the beach, which we usually like to do. That was probably the biggest downside. However, that's a small gripe in comparison to having a wonderful Mexican getaway. You can walk through some pretty nice neighborhoods nearby, so I didn't complain too much.

Overall, highly recommended. Would definitely stay here again, or at least another Riu Palace. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

3  Thank stefaye
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Fifth time to Mexico, second time staying at a RIU resort. Past resorts that I have been to in the Cancun area include Gran Caribe Real, The Royal, Krystal Cancun, and the Flamingo Cancun. Riu Palace Riviera Maya offered the following benefits for the price:

1) Very good food and five different restaurants that had various fun themes. One night even had langosta lobsters at the buffet.
2) Close proximity to other RIUs that can be visited.
3) Nice beach, friendly staff.
4) Short walk to Playa del Carmen for shopping and night life.

Following are some disappointments from the trip:

1) The hydro-jets in the bath tub did not work.
2) There was a constant drip of water from the bathroom ceiling onto the floor. Didn't cause a problem but still annoying.
3) The mini-fridge is only restocked once per week, despite their twice a week claims. You'll run short on bottled water.
4) Limited selection of top shelf liquors (no Jack Daniels, exotic liquors other than Kahlua, etc.)
5) The music at night was not very good. It was keyboard synthesizer music intermixed with children's shows such as people dressed up as Eor from Whinnie the Pooh. We wen elsewhere for our evenings.
6) The internet service was down for a few days.

The crowd at the RIU Palace Riviera Maya was not as social as other places I've been. Mostly European, there may have been a language barrier issue.

I'd recommend this location for people who want a relaxing vacation, a nice beach, good food, and who aren't interested in the night life. It is not a place for an active night life or good bands (neither ethnic or contemporary) in the evening.

Here's how I'd rate the destinations I've been to in the area for likeliness of a return visit:
1. The Royal (definitely a true 5 star)
2. RIU Palace Riviera Maya (4 stars, better food and rooms than Caribe)/Gran Caribe Real (3.5 stars, better night life and music than RIU)
3. Krystal (2.5 stars), Flamingo (2.5 stars)

Overall, RIU Palace Riviera Maya is a solid four star choice. Would be the ideal destination for early risers in search of a getaway without distractions.

2  Thank GregandJill
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya (RPRM) from Jan. 21st - Jan. 28th. Booked the trip through Apple Vacations flying out of Baltimore for approx. $1300 per person. Here are my thoughts on the good and bad about this resort.
The resort is very clean and beautiful. Our room was always cleaned in a timely manner. The room didn't have a musty smell but we found that everything stayed damp. Things never dried out (bathing suits, towels, etc). The food was OK. We always enjoyed breakfast at the buffett and never had any problem finding things we liked. Lunch was either at Chili's or the buffett and the offerings were (for the most part) the same each day. We ate at three of the specialty restaurants. The steakhouse (Chili's) was our favorite. The waiters were really good...make sure you or someone at your table orders the baked Alaska for dessert so you get "the show" that goes along with it. The Mexican restaurant and Krystal were OK. We at the rest of our dinner meals at the buffett. The beach was really nice. Plenty of chairs. The waiter service was hit or miss each day on the beach. We aren't pool people but as we walked to the beach each morning (around 8:30am), we saw that most of the chairs were already claimed by the pool. It seemed that if you wanted a chair by the pool, you would need to get up at the break of dawn to reserve one. We enjoyed going into Playa Del Carmen for shopping on a couple of days. We went once in the evening and once during the day. It's very nice and 'lots of shops to visit. I also did the Dolphin Swim at the Dolphin Discovery site. It was fun and was nice that my husband was allowed to take pictures while I swam with the dolphins. Overall, the resort and surrounding area are very nice. If anyone has any specific questions about this resort, please feel free to contact me.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OooEee
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Just got back and what a great place ! So much good things about this hotel I just don't know where to start.

Before going I reviewed the information on Trip Advisor and I was very careful of which hotel to choose . You see , I was taking my family along and it was their first experience with an all inclusive hotel. Well they have decided to travel back to this hotel next year ! They loved it !

Putting aside that you are in another country and it will be different from what your custom to and considering the amount of guests that go through this hotel daily just imagine the amount of food they needed to prepare, it was excellent ! . They worked so hard and the buffet food was always fresh, sure , there was a few things that was used daily . I had salad everyday , never got sick I had fish everyday and I never got sick Each station had a cheif and they asked for your opinion , they wanted feedback on the taste of the food they just prepared . They added a theme almost everynite and most of the main dishes was prepared in front of you. They offered 5 resturants and we tried two, Krystals & Steakhouse , the best we found was Krystals It was different and delicious !

Everyone that worked there were always there when you needed something. All the staff went out of their ways to ensure this. They asked you on a daily basis if everything was good. They wanted to make sure you were having a great time The rooms were clean . there was somedays , I could swear the housekeping staff was there twice in the same day , fresh towels and our bed folded out ready to use that evening.

There was always an activity happening by the pool or on the beach. They had a BBQ , Dance lessons , soccer tournament , bocci ball tournament , cooking lesson , spanish lessons the list goes on and on there was never a dull moment. There was music playing in the hotel plaza in the evening. Music artists , everyone was up and dancing. The shows were different every nite . This was arranged by the hotel entertainment staff. The "Crazy Show" was a fun one and full of laughters !

I can honestly say that I felt safe walking around on this resort day or nite. We had one day of overcast and then hot weather everyday thereafter, so don't believe what the weather forcasts as it will be different. This resort is for everyone, family, honeymooners , singles, couples etc. The pool area was large enough but if you wanted chairs a early morning walk before breakfast is what you need to do , so seeing the sunrise is not a bad idea and besides , the nice warm breeze is just what you need to start the day I recomend fifth avenue in the evening , cooler but there is a small sorta of market just a 10 min walking distance and they have almost everything you want to shop for including an real espresso by Starbuks !

I just had a wounderful time , first day back and I sharing my experience with everyone I know. It was paradise , truly paradise ! It was worth every penny spent on this stay at this resort I was so impressed I had to get a Riu Class card , I truly enjoyed the stay and the this will be the hotel chain I will consider first where ever I travel . They have high standards and it shows it .

Have a great Trip

• Stayed: January 2010
5  Thank OButterFly
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We had a very good stay at the Riu Palace. When we arrived the people at the front desk were very friendly, welcoming and thoughtul. The room was very clean and spacious.

Overall the food was good. The hotel has five sit down restaurants and two buffets. The food at the sit down restaurants is tasty , but when meat was ordered it was always well done and a bit salty. The dinner buffet has theme nights, a lot of food varieties and plenty of tables to sit at. The bars have a big selection of drinks on its menu and the service is great. Servers are very quick to bring out the ordered drinks and always check up on you when your glass get empty.

The beach is very big with a lot of shade from the palm trees. It was not very crowded during our stay, as the majority of people were around the pool area. The pool is pretty big with a bar in the middle. It did get a little bit loud at times with music and dancing people. During the day there are numerous activities: beach volleyball, aqua fitness, kids activities, etc.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. One thing to be aware of, the hotel has a Thrifty Car Rental inside. Be cautious when renting a car there. The Thrifty representatives quote ridiculous prices (completely different from the ones on the website) and lie about the insurance that you need to get.

1  Thank kugorets
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Just returned from a wonderful week-long stay. It was a family vacation for our family of 4, (50 y.o. parents, 20 y.o. daughter and 13 y.o. son) We are from Portland, Oregon, so we were looking forward to a warm, sunny relaxing break from the rain.
We booked the trip through TripGuy travel, and our docs said "Funjet vacations" The representatives in Mexico are Lomas travel, who provided our transfers.

Transfers:
Lomas travel reps were very easy to find outside the airport, and we were taken directly to the resort via a new Lincoln Navigator. Our driver did not speak much English, and we were exhausted, so it was a quiet 40 minute drive.
Our return to the airport, was via a mini bus, with about 8 other passengers. Our hotel was the last pickup, so we drove direct to the airport. Our only complaint was that we got to the airport too early, and check in and securiy went very quickly, They picked us up at 2 p.m. for a 5:20 flight. I realize they need to allow for potential traffic delays and long lines at the airport, so it wasn't a big deal.

Reception/first impression:
The massive lobby is very impressive. Beautiful fixtures and furnishings and everything is immaculate. Our check in went very smooth, and we were greeted with a non-alcoholic fruit drink. (Tasted like Tang to me, but our son raved about it the rest of the week!)
We had reserved a Jacuzzi suite and a Jr suite for the kids and had requested that the rooms be adjacent or connecting if possible.
We made the long walk from receception to the very end of the building, excited to see our rooms. I was a little nervous, because we were on floor 2, and I knew the jacuzzi suites were on the top floor. Turns out, we were on the top floor, (near the lobby area there are a few rooms on an upper floor, which explained why the elevator showed a floor 3)
The jacuzzi suite was absolutely amazing. At the end of the building, with a beautiful view of the ocean and pool area. Two huge windows on the ocean side and a smaller window on the side wall. The room was huge! (Bigger than our first apartment) The entrance is a hallway with the mini bar and liquor dispensers. There is a second door into the suite itself, which opens into a large sitting area, which has a couch, chair and tables and a large dresser. There is a ceiling fan over this portion of the suite. Off of the sitting room is a large walk-in closet with tons of hangers and shelves and the safe. The safe is on the floor, which made it a little difficult to read the instructions, or look inside to take items out. Would have been nice if it had been elevated on one of the shelves.
From the sitting area, there are 2 steps up to the bed/bath area. There is another dresser at the foot of the bed, with a flat screen TV that could rotate so it could be viewed from the bed or the sitting area. Seperating the bed and the bathroom is a huge spa tub. The bathroom area is huge, comparable to the bathrooms at the Venetian in Las Vegas. there are 2 sinks, a huge, walk in closet, (kind of dark) and a seperate toilet/bidet area.
The best part of the room are the balconies! The main balcony wraps around the edge of the building, and contains 2 chairs, a table, and a drying rack for wet bathing suits. Then there is a spiral staircase to the upper balcony where the jacuzzi tub is located. There is a chair and a lounger on this level. The view from this balcony is awesome! The jacuzzi tub took about 30 minutes to fill, and the temperature was a little hard to regulate, but it was very nice and private.
There was a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries, a bottle of champagne, and not one, but 2 towel animals awaiting us in the suite! There was a new towel animal every day, and champagne and strawberries one other day during our stay.
The junior suite was 2 doors away, and it was overlooking the resort next door. We had requested 2 beds for their room, and I was a little disappointed when I saw they were pushed together. They were huge, and our kids didn't mind, so we didn't ask for them to change the arrangement.
Their room, while not as big as ours was nicley furnished and immaculate. It was comparable to any 3..5-4 star hotel in the US. There was a standard closet, and dresser, and a small sitting area with a loveseat, chair and table. The same TV that we had in our room. The bathroom was much smaller, but contained 2 sinks and a seperate toilet area, (no bidet) There was a tub shower in the spa tub.
There was a towel animal to greet them, and they had a new one later in the week, but not a new one every day.
The beds are quite firm. My husband and I found it to be quite comfortable, but after a couple of nights, the kids requested toppers and they were more comfortable with them.
Our only complaint with our room was the air conditioning was not adequate. The kids room was much cooler and drier than ours. I think our room was warmer because of all the windows letting in the sun all day, but my husband thinks it was due to being an end unit, the system didn't have the capacity to adequately cool our room. We spoke to the front desk about it on our second day, and they said they would have someone take care of it, but it was the same for our entire stay. In any case, it was usually more comfortable to leave our slider open at night and get some fresh air. We were never really uncomfortable, as the ceiling fan kept the room pretty cool, and the weather was pretty

Wi-fi:
There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby area, but it is spotty. We had our I-phones and sometimes it would take several tries to get connected. Our last day, it was down completely. There is a business center in the sports bar, for pay, but we never needed it.

Service:
The service was fantastic, and we can't say enough nice things about everyone we came in contact with, from the doorman who first greeted us, to the front desk staff, to the waiters, bartenders, cocktail servers, housekeepers, and entertainment staff.
If you needed something, you merely had to make eye contact with a staff member, and they were right there inquiring into your needs. They were all very friendly, and greeted you as you walked past. The pool bartenders and waiters were especially friendly and hard working, and knew our names after the first day. Our son, was very impressed by how friendly and attentive the pool bartenders were. You can imagine a 13 year old boy doesn't generally recieve a high level of respect from resort bartenders.
Away from the resort, and even at the Riu to some extent, we encountered more people that did not speak English than on previous trips to Mexico. This is our first visit to the Yucatan, our previous trips being to the West coast of Mexico. It was never really a problem, but I think I'll brush up on my Spanish a bit before we retun to Yucatan.
The hotel doesn't have a concierge desk, but there are representatives from different travel and tour companies in the lobby area every day. We met with the rep from Lomas travel, and arranged two excursions through him.

Food:
The food was good and plentiful, and available 24 hours a day. Though I have to say it was not as good as I expected.
We had the breakfast buffet every morning, and ordered fruit, coffee and rolls a couple of mornings from room service. Lunch is also a buffet, out near the pool area. We ate dinner in the buffet a couple of nights, and tried the Mexican, Japanese and Steakhouse specialty restaurants. We could never get reservations for the gourmet, and weren't interested in the Brazilian.
The variety of food available at the buffets is tremendous, but the quality is not exceptional, (especially of the meat) There was an abundance of fried things available, and always pasta, pizza, and a salad bar. Our 13 year old loved the buffets, and will especially miss the homemade donuts, and endless supply of pizza and french fries.
The specialty restaurants were just OK. The meats were fair quality, and there was nothing exceptional about any of our meals. The seafood was especially disappointing, as it was obviously frozen.
The room service menu is very limited, but is certainly adequate, and has something for every taste. We recommend the club sandwich, and the fruit plate. Our kids loved being able to order a snack in the middle of the night. The service was very quick, and after I tipped the waiter on his first visit, he always brought me a long stemmed rose!
I realize that food preferences are a very subjective thing, and I should disclose that we are foodies, accustomed to dining at fine restaurants in the US. I was expecting food on par with that on a cruise ship, and it was nowhere close. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the highlight of our trip.

Beach/Pool
The pool area is absolutely spectacular, one of the best I've ever experienced. Yes the water is unheated, but I found it refreshing. We did have to do the early morning towel run to get prime location chairs, but it wasn't a problem and there were always tons of lounges available on the beach. The different features of the pool area were all very nice, from the infinity pool to the in-water lounges, to the swim up bar, and the bubblers. We thought the beach was great too, but it will be nice to get rid of the sand whales, so that you can body surf and really play in the waves. It would be nice to have an outdoor hot tub near the pool, since the only ones available at the resort are indoors in the spa. (they look very nice, but we didn't use them)

Spa:
While the guys were fishing, my daughter and I decided to have a spa day. First, we had a scrub/wrap, then a massage on the beach. The spa facilities were very nice, comparable to top spas at resorts in the US. The scrub/wrap was OK. I felt like they rushed through the scrub, but I was a little sunburned so that was probably a good thing. The wrap was nice, but what made it heavenly was the scalp massage.
They asked if we wanted the massage on the beach or inside. It was a really windy day, but we had never had a massage on the beach, so we opted for outside. It was a little weird, because we had to walk through the pool area in our spa robes and messy spa hair in the middle of the afternoon to get to the little massage hut under the palm trees on the beach. When we got to the massage hut, we realized there were no walls or curtains, so we had a moment of panic contemplating the transition from our robes to spa tables. Not to worry. The masseuses helped us manouver under the towels without providing too much of a show for the nearby beach loungers. The massage was fabulous, but the combination of wind, beach and pool noise was not really a relaxing atmosphere. We concluded the beach massage would have been better in the early morning before the wind and pool noise kicked up.
After our massage, we relaxed in the sauna a bit, before heading to our rooms to shower. There are showers and restrooms in the spa, as well as a full service salon and the hot tubs.

Entertainment/Nightlife
I regret that we only saw one show the entire week. It was the Vegas/Casino show. At first I thought it was a bit cheesy, but it got better and better and we realized the dancers were really good. We usually ate dinner around 6:30 or 7:00 and were in bed by 9 or 9:30! We were just too tired to stay up late, and the shows started at 9:45. The entertainment staff were friendly, but other than a few activities that our son participated in, we weren't really involved with them. I would have gone on the kitchen tour, but it was on a day that we were away from the resort.
They did have live music in the plaza every night, and most nights there were vendors selling their wares. Personally, I felt the vendors cheapened the atmosphere, and a few were pretty aggressive, which was annoying, but I'm sure some people enjoyed the opportunity to shop right on the premises.

Sorry this is so long, but I like reading detailed reviews. We loved the resort and hope to return someday.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family