Arrived on 11th June for a two week stay. Booked with Thomson Holidays UK and enjoyed the efficient private transfer. Great looking entrance and reception area. Friendly and efficient reception staff greeted us with a welcome drink. Had emailed Thomson and the hotel asking for top floor nearer the beach and had to wait until the following morning for this.
Good size room overlooking the gardens and next door's hotel, nice and quiet. We had two double beds pushed together with steps down to a seated area. Plenty of storage space. The bathroom is dated but still very clean as was the rest of the room. There was a smell that is more than the usual humid smell which seemed to be worse when the air con was on, opened the patio door instead and didn't notice it. Each day we had either towel art or turn down service which was a nice touch. Mini bar was refilled every day.
Food was great. Breakfast excellent selection and can have freshly made omelettes of your choice, great choice of juices. There is a choice at lunch time of eating at Chili's near the pool or the buffet restaurant, there is more choice at the buffet restaurant but if you eat here in the evening the food can get a bit "samey." The buffet restaurant had themed nights. The ice sculpture and fruit art were great. Our favourite speciality restaurants were the Japanese and Krystal's, long trousers are required here. Chili's Steakhouse is not always open in the evenings due to wedding parties. The service in all the restaurants is excellent, always a smile and a chat, nothing too much trouble. What we did like about the outside eating area next to the buffet restaurant was that it was no smoking which isn't always the case in other hotels we have visited.
Drinks plentiful and good brands, always being asked if we would like another drink, never had to wait long, again great service especially David in the courtyard and Victor round the pool.
Great setting right next to a beautiful white beach and clear blue sea. Loved the Courtyard, fountains and gardens, all immaculately kept. The gardeners do a great job and there is always cleaning going on. Good sized pool and also a separate infinity pool and never a problem to get a sun bed either round the pool or on the beach. Also hammocks on the beach under the palm trees.
Entertainment team work really hard and there are many activities during the day if you want to join in. At night there are groups which play in the bandstand which are really good and then there is entertainment in the theatre later on which is a mixture of professional acts or the entertainment team, what we watched we enjoyed.
The hotel provides unlimited free wifi, we never had a problem with connection throughout our stay.
Had a look and drink in the other Riu hotels, please keep the Riviera Maya as it is when you do the refurbishment, not keen on the look of the updated Riu Mexico. If you want to walk into Playa del Carmen it is only 20 minutes walk.
Overall we had a great stay, loved the setting and cannot say enough about how excellent all the staff are at this hotel. Would highly recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * The hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya is located directly on the white, sandy beach of the Playacar residential estate, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Playacar, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels. The 400 spacious and elegant junior suites are set in the 3-storey main building, with its delightful architectural style and surrounded by extensive tropical gardens. * Next Village / Location Playa del Carmen 2.0 km approx. * Next City Cancún 60.0 km approx. * Airport Cancún International Airport (CUN) 55.0 km approx. * Main Building 3 floors 400 rooms * Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Riviera Maya
- Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico