“Great Place”

Ranked #39 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Huntington, New York
“Great Place”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was a great place to vacation. We had a family of 5 and enjoyed our time there. The service was absolutely great. They go out of your way to make your stay enjoyable. The wifi wasn't that great as it dropped off every night and you had to log on again. The food was OK as well. There are plenty of chairs on the beach and lots to do. This hotel is also the closest to the town. We stayed in a room close to the pool and beach on the first floor. The room was pretty decent. We had two rooms. There are plenty of activities and the nightly shows are pretty fun. You can go to any of the other 4 Riu hotels nearby and enjoy their facilities as well. We did go on several tours but MAKE sure you purchase the tours from your tour company, NOT at the airport or on the street. It is timeshare pitch or a scam. Also BRING lots of singles because they dont exchange currency there so that you can tip the great service. The best restaurants we thought were Chili's and the Brazilian place. You have to make reservations early so do it when you get there. They fill up fast.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, pick a room facing the inside or near the pool and beach. I prefer a lower floor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Hansen L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a short getaway without the kids. It was really nice and clean and the beach was A-maz-ing!!! The food was great and the service was outstanding. Upgrading to a suite room was definitely worth the money. We would go back here in a heart beat!!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Sarahkm424
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the excellent customer ratings in the Thomson brochure, supported by the TripAdvisor reviews. We were delighted with all aspects of the hotel - the the spacious hotel ambience, the room, food, beach facilities, location etc. We stayed for 7 nights following a 7 night Yucatan Tour.
The outward-facing Junior Suite room on the second floor was very spacious, clean and comfortable. (We requested and received a trouble-free change from the first nights room due to external machinery noise - please see the room tip for details.)
The first evening we dined in the buffet restaurant and the following 6 evenings in the à la carte restaurants. Reservations can be made between 12:00 and 15:00 near the main bar. Two reservations can be made per day up to 3 days in advance. We had no problems making the reservations and no queues. The quality of food, the presentation and the service were all excellent. Our favourites were the steakhouse, Fusion, Brazilian and Japanese restaurants. The buffet dinner was also very good but we preferred the refinement and ambience of the à la carte restaurants.
The location of the hotel is excellent being adjacent to a long, wide, sandy beach. Playa del Carmen, the Cozumel ferry pier and the start of 5th Avenue is a pleasant 25 minute walk along the beach.
I took advantage of the watersports facilities a few times by sailing one of the catamarans.

Room Tip: The outward-facing rooms on the RHS looking from (and near to) the reception area suffer from air-co...
3 Thank StuartFromKirkham
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My stay was from 4/20-4/27, 2013. Riu Palace is a very beautiful resort. The staff and customer service were great. Having more than one pool was a good way to have variety. I have to give a shout out to Cindy for being so awesome! She really made me feel welcome and seemed to enjoy chatting every day! I hope to see you again, Cindy, if I ever get to come back to Playa!

I have just a few gripes that made an impression on me:

1. Since this is not an Adults Only hotel there were some minor incidents with children. One specifically stood out where a child, (young enough for diapers) for lack of better verbiage, pooped right in the middle of a major walkway in front of a pool. The parent was not watching the child at all. The staff came to investigate but the parent was not asked to at least help clean it up or apologize. The parent then just looked at the mess, picked up the child, and left the area...really?

2. There is quite a distance to walk between the hotel/rooms and the pools as well as to further get to the beach. Many resorts are much more condensed but here you have to walk a ways to get to amenities.

3. Making reservations for any of the restaurants had to be done in a small window of time each morning for that evening. If you weren't up soon enough to make a reservation somewhere for dinner you would have to end up at the buffet (the buffet is good, just not something I would want to eat at every day). This is inconvenient compared to other resorts that allow you to make the reservations for each place when you check-in. But I suppose there are pros and cons to each setup.

Overall I would give the hotel an average rating. The food was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Surprisingly the Mexican restaurant was sub-par. The grounds were gorgeous and the staff was amazing, but for some reason it just didn't make a mark on me enough to go back for a while.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the center court by the stage are loud at night when the entertainment is going. Don...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vineta B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 16/8/2013 -27/8/2013 note to our friends in the USA days make up a month, months make up a year... Dates should therefore be written in that format. Just saying....

Anyway, on to the review. Pretty much concur with everything that's been positively written about this hotel and resort. The staff make this hotel. Constant cleaning and always service with a smile.

Entertainment... It is what it is.... An animation team work tirelessly to entertain those who want to be entertained. It's not for us but for those who like this kind of thing there's always something to do. We were asked to join in a polite no was all that was needed, the animation team didn't take it personally and were always ready with a Hola and a smile.

The evening entertainment was ok. Professional entertainers brought in and most did a good job. I must emphasise it is what it is... It's not London nor Broadway or Las Vegas. You can make use of 5 other hotels and their entertainment if you wish so you can't really complain.

Food and drink.... More than enough to satisfy any preference.

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Finally....

I note some of the negative comments and have to say I'm not sure we are talking about the same hotel. Mosquito's love me. I wasn't bitten once, didn't see any either. Hot water was never a problem nor was the WiFi. The best views from the rooms are over the courtyard. Our room was upgraded, the only change was the view. There is a slight musky smell but certainly not over powering and barely noticeable. I put this down to the A/C in the hotel and the heat from outside mixing when doors etc are opened. The hotel decor reflects a traditional style. I was surprised to find out the hotel was built in 2005 and all the hotels in the Riu group have a ten year life before being rebuilt or refurbished so this hotel will change in two years time. It would be a shame if this hotel changes too much as part of its charm is the decor.

Room Tip: Request a courtyard room for the better views.
7 Thank s7evie
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We traveled on May 1st the Dream liner was grounded due to the faulty battery and traveled on one of the old planes in premium still worth the money. The hotel we first booked was being refurbished so Thomson up graded us to the Riu Palace at no extra cost, Private transfer from the airport is a bonus no waiting for other passengers. Good very quick check in cases taken from taxi straight to the room. Room was good very clean with plenty of storage for cloths, bathroom twin sinks large bath with shower. Mini bar in room always well stocked plenty of bottled water, soft drinks beer and there are four optics. Beach probably the best in the area, there are waiters taking your drinks order this also happens at all the bars no need to trouble yourself sit and relax let the waiter do the walking. Food very good so much on offer your spoiled for choice, restaurants very nice in there own way food always good service top knotch. All staff are happy to talk and are very help full. Pool area can get very full there is a lot of sun bed reserving on a number of days towels were left on beds and no one turned up until late in the afternoon. Evening entertainment, always something going in the courtyard shows were very good mostly outside entertainers. 5th Ave shopping area is a must plenty of shops and bars just like any were in the world you get the lookie lookie man trying to get you into the shop. Some tell you they work in your hotel and this is there fathers shop. It is in easy walking distance but its nice to travel in a air con taxi 34c outside cost of £4 fixed price. Plenty of trips to go on as we have been six times to Mexico so this time we felt there was no need to go on trips. If it is your first time to Mexico do not spend all your days around the pool get out and enjoy Mexico it has a lot to offer. This was a very good holiday very relaxing so much so that we are returning in December hopefully flying on the Dreamliner

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have very small balconies but you get good views there are lifts but they are locate...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ken W
New Glarus, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed from 8/17-8/24 and had an amazing time!This was my first time at this resort and my husbands second time. Great location! If you stay in this Riu resort you can walk around to the other 4 that are just down the road (I am sooo glad we picked this one over the others). It can get confusing because there is a Riu Palace Mexico and Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen both next to this one! The service here was awesome! All the employees go above and beyond to make sure you are enjoying your stay. It is important to tip, in my opinion since they don't make a lot of money and work for over 12 hours a day. Show your appreciation and they will treat you so well! I was stung by a bee on our boat ride back from snorkeling. I tend to swell up pretty bad so I asked our waitress at dinner for some vinegar and she was my sting and got the manager to make sure I was ok, and he offered anything I needed to make myself more comfortable!! Our room was excellent, nice and spacious with a balcony. The food was way way better than any resort food I have had in the past! So many different options and they NEVER ran out of anything. My husband and I are very picky eaters and I loved the food! The beach was excellent with the most beautiful blue water I have ever seen! The shows at night were enjoyable but this is also a great resort if you are used to going to bed early and getting up early because they turn the lights out at midnight (fine for us). My only suggestions are bring a LOT of single dollar bills because there is not a currency exchange here. Also, BRING A LOT OF SUNSCREEN! My husband and I went through one bottle on our first day...only to find out it is about $22.00 USD for a bottle from the gift shop or anywhere downtown!! If you run out while you are here expect to spend a lot of money on sun screen! Other than that this resort gets 5 stars from me for effort, staff being wonderful, beautiful beachfront, excellent food, and just an over all perfect vacation! RIU PALACE RIVIERA MAYA is the place to go!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the inside resort pools, very pretty!
5 Thank Colleen C
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#52 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!