The Riu Palace Riviera Maya is by far the best 5 star hotel I have ever seen and stayed in. Everything about it, from the service to the grounds, make it a gorgeous place to go on holiday. My first impression was wow when I first walked in the lobby as it is so big and beautiful! The rooms were so nice.. we had two double beds and then some stairs down to a sofa and TV and then a large balcony. Not sure why we got a bigger balcony than others, especially as the view wasn't very good, but I don't mind as you could see how amazingly kept the gardens were and you can pay for sea/pool view anyway.
The staff are so polite and would literally do anything for you. The beach waiters always ask if you want a drink, so if you're feeling a little lazy then you don't even have to leave your sun bed.
The food is amazing to say it is all inclusive. Some hotels may lower the standard when it is this board, however here it was so nice. There was such a variety of options from seafood to your everyday pizza and fries. The a la carte restaurants were also lovely and could be visited for free whenever as long as you made a reservation that day (or before) between 12 and 3. My favourite was Krystal as it was something a little different but the Mexican was also popular. 'Chilli's' was a gorgeous steakhouse which was a beach bar in the day. There was a nice selection of food for lunch if you didn't want to go to the main restaurant, but to be honest everything is quite close together anyway.
The beach was literally a step away from the swim up/pool bar and the pool, so you could go between them without having to walk far. The beach was absolutely gorgeous; what you'd expect on a Caribbean beach. The pool was a lovely lagoon style and was nice and upbeat on a daytime, so if you'd prefer no music, I'd say go to the beach. The animation team make sure no one is bored though; I loved the games they played in the daytime where anyone could go do the challenges as it brought everyone together. This hotel is similar to the Riu Palace Mexico down the road, but with a more traditional touch. I feel the Mexico is a bit too modern and Americanised.
The hotel is also in the perfect spot. Looking from the entrance, to the left is all the hotels including the other Riu's that you can use the facilities of. I found this particularly good when it came to the use of Riu Tequila's nightclub! To the right of the hotel you can get a taxi (or walk down the beach) to the centre of Playa Del Carmen. The infamous fifth avenue is there with McDonald's, MAC etc and then the famous bars/clubs like Coco bongo and Senor frogs which are apparently really good.
Overall, I would rate this hotel the best out of all the Riu's nearby as it had everything (even free WiFi and room service!) as well as a gorgeous display. I would definitely come back here if I were to revisit Mexico!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * The hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya is located directly on the white, sandy beach of the Playacar residential estate, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Playacar, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels. The 400 spacious and elegant junior suites are set in the 3-storey main building, with its delightful architectural style and surrounded by extensive tropical gardens. * Next Village / Location Playa del Carmen 2.0 km approx. * Next City Cancún 60.0 km approx. * Airport Cancún International Airport (CUN) 55.0 km approx. * Main Building 3 floors 400 rooms * Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelPower, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Riviera Maya
- Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico