We returned to the Riu Palace Riviera Maya for our fourth trip from May 28 to June 5. We arrived around 11;30 AM so our room was not ready yet. No problem, check in was very quick, got our bracelets and went for lunch. Normally when our room isn't ready, we change into our bathing suits, have lunch and then hit the pool or beach. Well, not this time, it was pouring outside. After lunch, we walked around the resort saying hello to many of the staff who have become friends over the past couple of years.
I had requested a specific room a couple of weeks prior to our visit (superior junior suite, ocean front) but really didn't think they would be able to honor that request due to being 100% booked due to the Yucatan closing. They did however give us an ocean front room 2117. Unfortunately, the air conditioner wasn't cold. It was almost like just having a fan with no air conditioner. We really loved the room, but I can't sleep when it's too hot, so we called the front desk and they assured me they would switch us in the morning. The next day we went down and spoke to Fernanda who switched us to 2110, courtyard view with a great air conditioner! I know a lot of people complain about the beds being hard, but we find them very comfortable. We left 40 pesos each day on the bed for housekeeping and 20 pesos in the fridge for the drink guy. Our room was cleaned perfectly every day with plenty of towels. We got turndown service only five of the eight nights, but that doesn't bother me.
We found the food to be as great as always. We ate at the Steakhouse, Mexican and Krystal. The only one that I found not to be as good as last year was the Mexican. They changed the menu and I didn't think it was as good as the past one. Steakhouse surf and turf was great lobster tail and perfectly cooked medium rare filet mignon. Krystal was very good also. Husband had the lamb and I had the beef, both were very good. The rest of the time we ate at the buffet. Different themes nightly with plenty of variety. Try the self serve coconut ice cream, soooo good! Breakfast buffet is enormous! I don't know how anyone can complain about it. Pancakes, French toast, churros, donuts, eggs any way, any kind of omelet, bacon, sausage, hash browns, cold cuts and cheeses, fresh made juices and smoothies, yogurt, Mexican and a large variety of breads, croissants and pastries. If you are staying for two weeks you could find something to eat every morning and probably not have the same thing twice if you don't want to. Lunch buffet was pretty basic. Pizza, burgers, fries, hot dogs, chili and of course cold cuts cheeses and soup.
Saved the best for last. I cannot believe how amazing the staff is! Everyone always smiling, interacting with the guests. The entertainment staff is unbelievable. They work from 10 in the morning until around 10 or 11 at night. A few nights they also went to Coco Bongo with guests who wanted to go. If you know about Coco Bongo, you know you don't get back until around 4 AM. But the next morning at 10 they were back to work. Angie, Giselle, David,Rafa and the rest of the team worked tirelessly every day! Their job wasn't easy because it rained almost every day of our trip so they had to set up entertainment in the lobby. Special thanks to Rosario at Krystal, Claudia in the sports bar Islas at the lobby bar, Romeo and Pancho at the pool bar for making us feel like family. Please tip the staff. They work so hard and really appreciate it. Someone is always cleaning something, a couple of dollars means a lot to them.
We will definitely return next year but not in June! They say there is much less rain from mid February to early May. Thanks again to Mitch at Tripguy for getting a great deal for us again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * The hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya is located directly on the white, sandy beach of the Playacar residential estate, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Playacar, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels. The 400 spacious and elegant junior suites are set in the 3-storey main building, with its delightful architectural style and surrounded by extensive tropical gardens. * Next Village / Location Playa del Carmen 2.0 km approx. * Next City Cancún 60.0 km approx. * Airport Cancún International Airport (CUN) 55.0 km approx. * Main Building 3 floors 400 rooms * Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, RIU Hotels and Resorts, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Riviera Maya
- Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico