Spent the first week of Dec. 2012 at the riu palace. Booked an Apple vacation. Flew Frontier airlines. Great flight with roomy seats and a TV in the back of the seat in front of you. Arrived in Cancun and was wisked away in an Apple van. Was sort of shocked to go through a roadblock of local policemen armed with machine guns. In the town of Playa del Carmen they also carry machine guns on the street.
When we arrived the rooms were not ready so we were given wristbands and told to go have lunch in the buffet. Was disappointed at the food but figured it was closing time and dinner would be better. Went back to the front desk after 3 as told only to find out the rooms were still not ready. We were granted access to get out of the heavy clothes we were wearing. Right to the beach! While in the beach chairs we were constantly approached by hotel staff and outsiders trying to sell us fishing trips, jewelery, cigars, parasailing, snorkeling trips, hats and countless other junk. Got so annoying we moved off the beach to the pool area. Just the hotel staff hit you up there.
Dinner at the buffet was no better. They use poor quality ingredients and most of it lacks flavor. Went to 4/5 specialty restaurants. The Brasilian restaurant was the best meal of the week. The Mexican restaurant which should have been excellent was only so-so. The Steakhouse was poor and I got violently ill with Norovirus that night. Two days later me wife contracted it. We walked out in the middle of the meal at the Japanese restaurant and resorted to the buffet. Skipped the Fusion restaurant.
The hotel is all tile and you can hear service carts being pushed down the halls and rear walkways from 6am-midnight. Also every one in the halls and close rooms, hard to sleep. Hard beds do not help. While the beach and pool areas were nice and the service was great it is hard to see past the poor food and lack of sleep.
They make you go to the lobby for your free 90 minutes daily of internet access. That was annoying, it should be unlimited and in the rooms. While bedridden with the Norovirus my wife brought me some food. I ate a little and set the rest down on the knee wall next to the bed. In 15 minutes it was covered with ants.
The return to airport bus was was very comfy. Odd thing was Apple is all inclusive including tips and the bus driver and his director got on the PA and hit us up for tips.
The airport was EZ to navigate and got to stock up at Duty Free. First stop at home was Burger King! Second best meal of the week. That's BAD!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * The hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya is located directly on the white, sandy beach of the Playacar residential estate, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Playacar, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels. The 400 spacious and elegant junior suites are set in the 3-storey main building, with its delightful architectural style and surrounded by extensive tropical gardens. * Next Village / Location Playa del Carmen 2.0 km approx. * Next City Cancún 60.0 km approx. * Airport Cancún International Airport (CUN) 55.0 km approx. * Main Building 3 floors 400 rooms * Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, RIU Hotels and Resorts, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Riviera Maya
- Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico