Only one caveat; (Which I will get out of the way first). The day we arrived was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, however, we did not get to the Resort until about 4:50PM. Check in was prompt, our room was ready and the baggage arrived quickly. Since we had not eaten since breakfast, we decided to go to La Laguna restaurant. Upon arrival at La Laguna we told that they were closed but that Las Brisas was open, the staff called for a cart to pick us up and were whisked away to Las Brisas. At that point, we were told that the restaurant would not be open until 6:00 PM (about 50 minutes) and that they were preparing for the evening dinner. We sat at the bar outside Las Brisas for just under an hour before they opened. We were very hungry and felt that the staff could have offered an appetizer or snack until the restaurant opened. That’s it for the caveat!
We did wait, and the dinner was excellent. The ambiance was doused a little by the fact it was pouring rain and they had to close the shutters to the beach. I could only imagine how much nicer dinner would have been with the waves gently pounding in the background. The food was nothing short of five stars and my wife was just as pleased. We felt that the servings could have been a little bigger, but small servings are much the norm at most of the fine and expensive restaurants we have dined at.
Everything else was outstanding, we visited the pools for the first couple of days and we found the staff was friendly, accommodating and always remembered what we liked for our flavor of refreshments. On a trip to a shop by the pool to get some suntan lotion, I was pleasantly surprised at how the staff was extremely helpful and courteous and very knowledgeable about the products they sold. She offered opinions on how well the various products would work and she was correct. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The pools were much more than nice.
We had lunch a couple of times at the poolside restaurant and the food was great there as well. I have read reviews that stated some people had to wait for over an hour to get their order, but that was never the case with us. Our meals were delivered to our poolside lounge chairs in a prompt manner, they even set up tables on our lounge chairs for our food and drinks and the staff was very professional and courteous.
The rooms are fairly large with an elegant master bath that had both an oversized tub and separate large shower. The king size bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows and included the small details like plush rugs over the slate flooring on each side of the bed. The supplied in-room coffee maker and coffee was good as was the tea. It certainly seems like the Mayakoba staff thought of every detail and we found ourselves needing nothing for our room. Everything in our room worked and we experienced no items or problems that needed attention. We do believe that the rooms would be a better value at around $250.00 - $300.00 per night than the almost $500.00 per night we paid, but luxury does have its price!
We had rented a car for our (it’s essential if you want get around at your own pace) stay and by the second day, the staff at the main gate knew who we were and always gave us a pleasant greeting as we entered. Whenever we needed the car, we would simply call the bell desk and let them know we were on the way and they always had the car waiting for us at the front door. Simply great service!
Overall, we could not have been happier or experienced a better stay and would highly recommend the Fairmont Mayakoba for a great and peaceful stay in the Maya Rivera area. Some people have given the Mayakoba less than favorable reviews and have said it is too expensive, however, we should expect expensive at such a beautiful FIVE STAR resort and we should also expect to get what we pay for. During our week long stay, we received nothing less than FIVE STAR treatment in a stunningly beautiful tropical setting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 45 acre Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, a AAA 5 Diamond Award property, boasts 401 rooms and suites, including a collection of beach and lagoon casitas, offering guests extraordinary views of the grounds. Guests at Fairmont Mayakoba can take advantage of several recreational activities on property including exploring nature trails on foot or BMW bikes, scenic boat tours on lanchas through crystal clear canals, sunbathing on the soft white-sand beach or at one of the property's several pools, non-motorized watersports (kayaks and catamarans), outdoor tennis and paddle courts, golfing on the renowned El Camaleon golf course (host to the only official PGA TOUR event in Mexico), lessons at the Jim McLean Golf School or being pampered with signature Mayan treatments at the luxurious Willow Stream Spa. Children and teens have a space just for them at the Discovery Club or at the Teens Room by Sony PlayStation(R). Fairmont Mayakoba's commitment to the environment has earned the resort several awards and accolades including a seal of verification by Rainforest Alliance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Fairmont Hotels, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Priceline, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairmont Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Fairmont
- Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico