“Best Resort EVER!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
chicago, IL
“Best Resort EVER!”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

Only one caveat; (Which I will get out of the way first). The day we arrived was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, however, we did not get to the Resort until about 4:50PM. Check in was prompt, our room was ready and the baggage arrived quickly. Since we had not eaten since breakfast, we decided to go to La Laguna restaurant. Upon arrival at La Laguna we told that they were closed but that Las Brisas was open, the staff called for a cart to pick us up and were whisked away to Las Brisas. At that point, we were told that the restaurant would not be open until 6:00 PM (about 50 minutes) and that they were preparing for the evening dinner. We sat at the bar outside Las Brisas for just under an hour before they opened. We were very hungry and felt that the staff could have offered an appetizer or snack until the restaurant opened. That’s it for the caveat!

We did wait, and the dinner was excellent. The ambiance was doused a little by the fact it was pouring rain and they had to close the shutters to the beach. I could only imagine how much nicer dinner would have been with the waves gently pounding in the background. The food was nothing short of five stars and my wife was just as pleased. We felt that the servings could have been a little bigger, but small servings are much the norm at most of the fine and expensive restaurants we have dined at.

Everything else was outstanding, we visited the pools for the first couple of days and we found the staff was friendly, accommodating and always remembered what we liked for our flavor of refreshments. On a trip to a shop by the pool to get some suntan lotion, I was pleasantly surprised at how the staff was extremely helpful and courteous and very knowledgeable about the products they sold. She offered opinions on how well the various products would work and she was correct. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The pools were much more than nice.

We had lunch a couple of times at the poolside restaurant and the food was great there as well. I have read reviews that stated some people had to wait for over an hour to get their order, but that was never the case with us. Our meals were delivered to our poolside lounge chairs in a prompt manner, they even set up tables on our lounge chairs for our food and drinks and the staff was very professional and courteous.

The rooms are fairly large with an elegant master bath that had both an oversized tub and separate large shower. The king size bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows and included the small details like plush rugs over the slate flooring on each side of the bed. The supplied in-room coffee maker and coffee was good as was the tea. It certainly seems like the Mayakoba staff thought of every detail and we found ourselves needing nothing for our room. Everything in our room worked and we experienced no items or problems that needed attention. We do believe that the rooms would be a better value at around $250.00 - $300.00 per night than the almost $500.00 per night we paid, but luxury does have its price!

We had rented a car for our (it’s essential if you want get around at your own pace) stay and by the second day, the staff at the main gate knew who we were and always gave us a pleasant greeting as we entered. Whenever we needed the car, we would simply call the bell desk and let them know we were on the way and they always had the car waiting for us at the front door. Simply great service!

Overall, we could not have been happier or experienced a better stay and would highly recommend the Fairmont Mayakoba for a great and peaceful stay in the Maya Rivera area. Some people have given the Mayakoba less than favorable reviews and have said it is too expensive, however, we should expect expensive at such a beautiful FIVE STAR resort and we should also expect to get what we pay for. During our week long stay, we received nothing less than FIVE STAR treatment in a stunningly beautiful tropical setting.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank RichMRich
Chadi C, Director of Operations at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, January 7, 2016
Dear Tech ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such an amazing feedback of your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba. I’m delighted to hear that felt you received a FIVE START treatment with our friendly, professional and courteous staff, that the grounds are beautiful and well mainteined. We tried to keep the property in a natural environment and we are proud to say that Fairmont Mayakoba is home to hundreds of endemic birds, iguanas, and many other animals that call Mayakoba home.
It was a pleasure hosting you and I hope you keep us in mind the next time you travel to Riviera Maya.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Just back from 6 nights at Mayakoba. Expected to be inconvenienced by the PGA golf tournament but it was a non-issue. The property is visually exquisite and nicely arranged. Others have said it's spread out and the beach is far from the main area, as if that's a negative! We chose this hotel because it's spread out. Yes you can take a golf cart, but we chose to walk everywhere. I used a bike once (they are all over the place, just grab one and go) but they are not in the best condition and hard to adjust for one's height. We loved the walks to and from the beach. Stayed in a deluxe casita (room # in the 300 range) and it was perfectly located near the main pool and breakfast location, as well as close to the spa.

Our room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was extremely large with a tub overlooking a jungle scene (see photos). Bring your own essential oil and you will feel like you are in a spa!

We had massages (just ok) which included use of the very relaxing hot pool upstairs (on an outside deck). They gave us free juice drinks (pineapple with chaya was the best one). Having a massage also gave us use of the steam room and aromatherapy room, lockers and showers. If you aren't having a service, then it costs $45 USD extra to use the facilities. The gym is $15 USD to use the equipment. Join the Fairmont President's Club, then it's free (and so is internet in the room).

The beach has very nice sand. Try to get cushioned chairs, much more comfortable. We did not have to get there at 6am to mark our spot; could arrive at 11 or even 12 and get chairs, even during a school vacation week. The staff is friendly but it does take awhile to get your food order.

Breakfast was a terrific deal - 190 pesos for cold buffet or 240 for hot buffet. I suggest choosing the buffet because it takes forever to get things if they are ordered from the kitchen. Buffet food was often replenished and the food quality was excellent. The choices were the same each morning but there was plenty to choose from.

We had huge breakfasts, little snacks for lunch, then drove into Playa almost every night for dinner. Parking was not easy; we used one of two lots ($1 US per hour) located on Avenue 10 around Calle 2 and Calle 4, then walked down Fifth Avenue. We never once saw any free parking on the street. The concierge was pretty helpful in getting reservations, which i did through email about a month before our trip. We liked John Gray's Place (service was terrible but food was excellent), Negrosal (expensive but sophisticated), and Yaxche.

I had read that the property is dark at night and to bring a flashlight; we never needed it. Housekeeping was 2x a day and thorough. The only thing to remember is to securely close your door; it won't fully close by itself unless you do it manually.....sometimes we found it open upon our return, but it was our own fault.

This is not the best place to bring teenagers unless they have friends with them or really need to just rest by the beach or pool. There is not a lot of activity at either location. Our teens had homework to do and were happy to lounge most of the days when we stayed at the property. We took two field trips while there, which broke things up.

We would definitely return to this lovely hotel again!!!!!

Stayed February 2007
9 Thank Cat22Black
Chadi C, Director of Operations at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, January 8, 2016
Dear Sue ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such an amazing feedback of your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoy our beautiful spread out property; we tried to keep the property in a natural environment and we are proud to say that Fairmont Mayakoba is home to hundreds of endemic birds, iguanas, and many other animals that call Mayakoba home. At the SPA we still have the fresh pineapple and chaya juice that you liked it. We appreciate the time you spent sharing your comment.

MONTGOMERY ILLINOIS
Reviewed February 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed the 11th of Feb just for 2 nights as friends of ours were coming in on the 13th so we went to Cancun. The rooms are big and clean. We did have a leak however and the lamp made a spark when my husband tried turning it off. We called down to the front desk and they came up right away.

The resort is a bit big for me but it is so pretty and clean.

The staff is awesome and always asking how you are and if you need anything, The food and drinks were good but a bit high but hey it is a Fairmont so no complaints.

Pools are awesome.

I am a travel agent so I did recieve a awesome rate so cant complain at all. We did try to ask about a upgrade and was told no beach front casita's were available however we only saw 1 person in them the entire time we were there. Oh well..

Email me if you have any questions. jsliwa@carlsonwagonlit.com

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — too big
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelAgentJill
Dear Jill,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback of your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba. I’m delighted to hear that you like the property, the food and drinks are good, and our staff is awesome as well as the pools. This positive comments makes us very happy. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you travel to Riviera Maya.

Southern N.H.
Reviewed February 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba Feb 10-17 2007. The property is beautiful and we definitely enjoyed ourselves. There are basically 2 sections of the hotel. The larger grouping of rooms are close to the lobby/spa/convention center and pools. The smaller grouping (about 40 or so rooms) are located near the beach. Some of these have plunge pools and roof top decks that overlook the ocean (like Las Ventanas). The few rooms that are on the beach directly overlook the hotel guests with beach chairs so, these are not as private. The ones on the back side with the rooftop pools or lower untils overlooking the river offer the most privacy. (These rooms are numbered 800 to 900.)

The rooms are nice but missing some decorative detail as well as some of those touches one might see at a Four Seasons or other fine hotel such as fresh flowers in the room, dependable turn down service that includes a small token gift and/or a small welcome gi ft upon arrival, -chaise lounges on ones private deck instead of just chairs...

My husband and I booked a room located at the beach area. We were close to the Las Brisas restaurant and there is an infinity pool overlooking the beach area as well. The wait staff helps with towels, drinks and one can eat lunch at the restaurant or the beach. I was told that they will be building 'Palapas' for shade on the beach instead of just umbrellas. Unlike some previous reviewers I thought the beach area was pretty. My husband and I took long walks in either direction and one can get a sense of the area and the other 3 resorts that will be part of Mayakoba ( The Banyan Tree, Viceroy and Rosewood). We were told by the staff that they will all be connected via the canals with boats already in use by the Fairmont.

I would have been nice to receive some information in our room on the activities available to the guests. ie cooking classes, exersize classes and featured entertainment in the bars and restaurants. We did receive a Miami Herald delivered to our room daily which was nice.

The Golf Course- El Camaleon surrounds entire property. My husband thought it was challenging and in 'great shape' -although it would have to be as the PGA tour is there this week. **Golf in the afternoon is available at a reduced rate and no one is on the course.

As previous reviewers have suggested the food is nothing out of the ordinary. The taco buffet at La Laguna was very tasty. The restaurants in Playa Del Carmen that we tried were all very good though.

Tips/Suggestions: 1. Rent a car - it is easy to get around. Playa is 20 min away and is based on a grid system- its easy to park most fimes for free and find shopping and restaurants. The main shopping street is 5th Avenue with the typical Mexican fare. If you have a car you can visit the ruins, Cozamel, Cancun etc... at your leisure. There is a travel agency in the Fairmont that can help with excursions.

2. Book a room near the beach (#'s800-900)- If you do in the AM get a golf cart back to the breakfast buffet at La Laguna, after breakfast stop at the nearby deli and purchase a sandwich, get a bike (usually outside the pool area or at the lobby) go back to the beach, store sandwiches and drinks in your in-room fridge and when the time is right- enjoy lunch on your private deck. The sandwiches are good quality and a better value than the food served at the beach. (The beach is 3/4 mile from the pool area /La Laguna so walking is possible but, takes longer. )

3. If located at the beach - Call for a golf cart 10 min before you are ready to leave your oom. Call for your car ahead of time as well.

Critiques: We did have some issues-- We were locked out of our room the first 3 nights after dinner. ( Since we were so far from the lobby it took some time for assistance). As it happens there were some issues with our door lock which eventually were resolved. Our room 'butler' never materialized, my husband did get sick from the food at one of the restaurants at the resort, the screen door in our room was broken, and light was out on the veranda, concierge forgot to confirm dinner reservations. So, on the 5th night of our stay we did complain to a manager and he did give us one night free lodging and the next day a butler delivered a formal apology with flowers and fruit. That did make us feel better about our stay. Unfortunatley, on the way home I realized that my brand new Ipod was missing from my bag. This was disturbing as I did not take it out of the room during my stay. However, I did not lock it in the safe while we were there and probably should have. (We have since made the hotel aware of the situation)

All in all , The Fairmont property is attractive and the service was generally friendly and reliable. I feel that the price of the room (Private Signature Casita) catagory we stayed in though was not as good a value as some other hotels in the same catagory.

• Liked — The property itself- the Mangroves, wildlife, beauty of the landscape, beach
  • Disliked — Some of the issues we had with our accomodations
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sjben
Dear traveler ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such an amazing feedback of your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba. As I was reading and wanted to say I’m delighted to hear that service was generally friendly and reliable and that the property is beautiful. We tried to keep the property in a natural environment and we are proud to say that Fairmont Mayakoba is home to hundreds of endemic birds, iguanas, and many other animals that call Mayakoba home. On the oher hand, I’m disheartened to hear you felt that the price of the room (Private Signature Casita) category you and your husband stayed in was not as good a value as some other hotels in the same category. That is the last thing we want for any of our guest. You can be sure that your feedback is taken seriously and that it will of course help us to improved. Again I really appreciated the time you spent sharing your comment.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2007

My stay at the Mayakoba was pretty good. The landscape is absolutely breathtaking. But the shear size of the grounds can be overwhelming. The hotel is so large that there are 4 modes of transportation; foot, bike, golf cart or boat. From the lobby to the beach it takes about 20min by foot or 7min my golf cart. The team of staff is very nice, they all try to go the extra mile. (Only complaint--- we waited 2hrs for our luggage. And then another hour for Ice.—which is somewhat understandable because of the size of this property!) The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, great beds- Beautifully marbled bathrooms with a very modern Caribbean design. I would say value wise; I got a good deal on the room. I went for a conference so I only paid $250. But if I paid much more I wouldn’t feel the same way. The food at the hotel is very expensive! My sister and I split a hamburger, 2 cokes and 2 waters for $30usd. I probably wouldn’t return to the Mayakoba. While I think that Maya Rivera is much more adult than Cancun, I would prefer to stay at a all-inclusive resort. Lets Face it—All hotel grounds in Mexico are Grand, All of the staff works hard to accommodate, All of the food is mediocre.. So why not get drinks included!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Katieorange
Chadi C, Director of Operations at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 20, 2015
Dear Ms. Katieoran,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such an feedback of your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba. I’m delighted to hear that the rooms are gorgeous, the staff is very nice and the landscape is breathtaking.
We understand that we did not exceed your expectations regarding the meals. I will like to let you know we now have meal plans available, I hope you can give us another chance and come back any time soon.

Nova Scotia
Reviewed February 15, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful week at Fairmont Mayakoba. After reading a few of the reviews we were wondering what we were in for!
The resort is simply breathtaking. Yes it's big and you need to take golf carts, boat or bicycle to go to the beach...the longest wait we had, either to the beach or back was about 3 or 4 minutes...usually less.
Weather was perfect, no bugs with the exception of a few 'no-see-ums' one evening when we dined outside. We ate outside on the patio at La Laguna quite often and never had an issue with bugs.

We were upgraded on arrival to a deluxe Casita - king-sized bed and nicely appointed bathroom - robes and slippers etc.
The staff were fantastic...we had excellent service from everyone. One day our room was not made up when we returned from the beach. I called the front desk and we went out for a walk and when we returned the room was made up and a lovely plate of fresh fruit was waiting for us.
Maids leave small bottles of water daily...4 bottles a day.
Contrary to the Fairmont website the in-room safe will hold a laptop - at least my Dell. Internet is available at the business centre but at a cost of $5.50US for 10 minutes.
A cab to Playa del Carmen is $15.00US. 5th Ave is the main area for shopping. We then paid $5.00US for a cab to WalMart and loaded up with beer (its about $6.00US each at the beach), fresh fruit, yogurt, bread, more water etc. Another $15.00US to return to Mayakoba. There is a small fridge in the rooms to keep your goodies cold. Food and everything else is expensive...about the same as Disneyworld in most cases.
Golf is $248.00US but $110.00US after 1:00pm for Fairmont guests...whew. TaylorMade clubs are available to rent for $60.00US.

Can't wait to return!

Stayed February 2007
8 Thank gmac7
Dear Mr. Gmac,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such an amazing feedback of your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba Resort. I’m delighted to hear that you and your wife had an excellent service from everyone. This positive comments makes us very happy. It’s always a pleasure to hear from you. I will take this opportunity to let you know that we recently made some renovations. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you travel to Riviera Maya.

Chicago
Reviewed February 12, 2007

Brace yourself for the Mayakoba! It is as about un-Mexican as it gets. I love a luxury hotel but the Fairmont has created something devoid of warmth and charm and quite frankly, at $700 a night (cough), I expect more of an "experience". Alas, it was not to be.

I traveled with my elderly mother who wanted a little r&r. She and I both love Mexico but after two nights in Tulum at a fancy eco hotel, I couldn't wait to get out of our Mayakobean nightmare. We left after one night.

Yes they have Bose radios. Yes the bathrooms are handsome. Yes the staff is friendly (if somewhat over-coached). And yes the welcome iced tea and cool towel are a hopeful beginning.

5 Reasons I won't return:
#1. Poorly planned. The idea of a waterway lagoon system seems cool but the reality is the "casitas" are front loaded geographically so that if you decide you want to wander over to the beach and have a drink to watch the sun sink into the horizon, you have to wait for a golf cart to pick you up. You may be waiting a while. FYI: Walking would be freakish at this place.

#2. Over-priced. People who stay here are either conventioneers or particularly rich. And golfers. The course is nice so if you want to tee off every day disregard this rant.

#3. Las Brisas Restaurant. The atmosphere was devoid of what Mexico does best: warmth. Too much posturing going on without much behind it. The menu wasn't very creative at those prices and since the restaurant is ON the beach, why not open a window or two? The dishes are too safe and the portions too much - wasteful.

#4. The "casita". It's a hotel room rivaling that of any Motel 6's proportions, long & narrow. The balcony is a plus but between mosquitoes and noisy golf carts whizzing by - we happened to be placed right on the end by a bridge so whenever a cart with a load of people rode by, we'd hear a "weeeeeeeee!" and lots of laughing - I'd stay inside. The internet wasn't working and the decor is sort of depressing. All in all, just not very cozy. Don't be fooled by those glowing photos of a gorgeous room! Disregard if you're staying in an oceanfront suite.

#5. The guests. The place is filled with business travelers and their spouses. These people are happy to be out of akron in february for good reason. Getting drunk at the hotel pool bar is par for the course here among this resort wear crowd. They just happen to be paying more for their drinks.

Ultimately, don't pay this kind of money for the Mayakoba. It's a complete money suck. If you want to pay lots of money for great service, golf and beach time, manicured surroundings, and fancy digs, consider Barbados or St. Bart's.

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Disliked — Arriving at it.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
23 Thank saltyseaseeker
Dear Mr. Saltyseas,
We appreciate the time you spent sharing your comments. I am glad to hear that our staff is friendly and the bathroom are handsome, on the other hand, we are sorry to learn about the internet opportunity and the noisy golf carts. You can be sure that your feedback is taken seriously and that it will of course help us prevent future defects in our services, for example our golf carts now are electric and quiet.
We truly regret losing you as a guest; it is indeed the worst thing that could happen to us being hoteliers. We hope you can give us another chance and come back any time soon.