“World-class resort at recession prices.”
Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

Fairmont Mayakoba
Ranked #9 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Lovely, though like other reviewers I'd be more critical if I were paying rack rates ($400+). We got a fire-sale rate of $155 (plus resort fees and taxes, it was $209 all-in) for the deluxe casita. Some might not like waiting for the (frequent) golf carts to take you to the pools, the beach, the restaurants -- there are bicycles, but we couldn't use them with our little ones, and walking would take awhile, the grounds are extensive -- but the kids loved the "taxis" and you got used to it. Only 3 restaurants (plus a lounge and cafe), so dining choices are limited for a stay of more than the 3 days we were there, especially if one of the restaurants is closed for a private event -- several business groups file through here, though they were small, a few dozen people, so it didn't feel like a "conference center" hotel. You can dine at the restaurants at the neighboring resorts, though we decided to stick with the Fairmont restaurants after we learned that kids (under 6? I think?) eat free! The surf is stronger at this beach than at Mamita's in Playa, where we had spent a week at a condo just prior to this resort, so our little ones preferred the pools. One nice thing about the pools is a series of alcoves (think railroad ties) that are quite private, even while being part of the big pool. Great water slide; kids club is just aiight. Rooms are beautiful and very private, surrounded by the forest: it feels like you're in your own cabana, even though the casitas share walls like townhouses. A nice change of pace from Cancun. Definitely join the Fairmont Presidents' Club before going; you'll get free local calls and internet.

3  Thank RamblinDad

Reviewed October 8, 2009

Fairmont Mayakoba exceeded our every expectation. The grounds are immaculate, the customer service is first-class, and the ammenties are fantastic. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Casita, which I would highly recommend booking versus the rooms in the main building.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2009

This place is amazing and the service is EXCELLENT. I would highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We just came back two weeks ago from what we will call the ultimate vacation...
This resort is second to none...Not only is it set on the most beautiful location it offers superior accomodation and settings...
From the moment we got to the hotel, where we were greeted with a fresh cold towel and a tropical drink to the moment we left, we were treated like the most valued clients ever...
When I say the site is exceptional, pictures and video available on the Fairmont website are exactly what you get...
Service is impeccable from the rooms to frontdesk to pools , beaches and restaurants...
We ate every morning and night at The Laguna, which offers enough variety but exceptional quality for the price you pay...I can not rave enough about the service and food...Travelling with 2 young ones and a teenager sometimes is difficult to please everyone...Both my wife and I could enjoy great food while the kids would feast on anything from the3 kids menu or just enjoy a fabulous Laguna burger.
We had exceptional service from the hostesses Viridiana and Aliser, who would always welcome us with huge smiles and hugs for our two daughters, while servers Fabiola,Jose, Alfonso, Iran and others were just so attentive its was unbelievable. Always would they refer to us by our last name while they would use our kids name when talking to them...Marco the chef is awesome and will prpare food that will blow you away...Difficult to find better in this price range ( kids 7$, adults between 18 and 30$)
The beach though far from the casitas we were in, were easy to access with the electrical carts that travel the resort at every moment. Never would you have to wait more than 5 minutes to get from one place to the other. Having walked south on the beach and having seen other locations, the Fairmont offers BY FAR the nicest strand of beach with crisp turquoise and blue water ( there are some small rocks for which you have to be careful and find the right spot in the water).
Rooms are huge and beautifully decorated with enormous washrooms. It is very elegant and pleasing to the eye. Travelling a lot and staying in hotels all the time, much to my astonishment I must say that the AC was exceptionnally efficient as I did not suffer from the usual dryness or even clogged nose...
There are numerous pools ( a couple infinity ones) around the resort and all were clean and beautiful..The kids especially enjoyed the one with the slide..
Wy wife also treated herself to a morning at the spa and enjoyed every moment!
All in all, an outstanding stay with 7 days of beautiful weather in a resort that is worth every penny of it!
Muchas gracias per todo!

5  Thank mlogabz2
Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed at the Fairmont hotel for a summer break with the kids. The resort is beautiful, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are beautiful. I have stayed in 5 star resorts around the world and this resort measures up to the best at a fraction of the price. The food at Las Brisas is delicious, as was the breakfast buffet. We upgraded to a casita suite which was one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in with a beautiful bathroom.

The hotel is near enough, yet far enough from Cancun; near enough to use the great airport, far enough to allow serenity. Also, we went to Playa del Carmen for dinner several nights and was very impressed. Not once did I feel uncomfortable, parking was easy, shopping was great, restaurants were great, and the prices were reasonable.

I cannot stress that this was a stress free trip at a 5 star resort for a very reasonable price. Honestly, no complaints, trust me I would post the complaints if there were any!

2  Thank traveling_mom_dc
Reviewed August 23, 2009

This was my first time in Mexico, so I didn't have any expectations. The security and architecture of the entrance to the hotel was very impressive. It makes you feel like a VIP everytime you drive up. The lobby was beautiful. The staff was extremely attentive from the time you get there until the time you leave. Without asking, when we checked in, we were given a free upgrade to a casita. However, when we got there, it was a casita on the lower level that had a private porch with a view of trees and the sidewalk. We decided to ask for an upgrade to an upper level casita. They gave us the option to upgrade to an upper level casita on the lagoon for $50USD. When we got to the new room, it was an upper level casita on the lagoon, but half of the lagoon view was blocked by trees growing out of the lagoon. As far as we can see, no other casita had their lagoon view half blocked by shrubs. Since we were tired and exhausted at this point, we decided to stay.

The room was beautiful and felt luxurious in a rustic way. The bathroom was amazing! It had double sinks, a large soaking tube, a separate standing shower with a "rainfall" shower head and a hand held sprayer, a water closet, and marble tiling throughout.

When we went to the cafe by the pool to grab something to eat, we found the food was extremely expensive. Their pre-made gourmet sandwiches were more than $9USD! My husband got one of those sandwiches and I decided to get pre-made a ceasar salad. The girl brought it the register, then pickup the container with the dressing said something to her coworker. They said something back and forth in spanish, and she took it to the back. Ten minutes later, she came back with a bigger container, with a dressing that was white. The original dressing was yellow, which is the correct color for a ceasar dressing, considering the main ingredient is egg yolk. She placed it in our bag and flashed us a huge smile. Needless to say, I was AFRAID to eat the dressing and we never went back to the cafe.

The maid service comes twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night to refresh the room. The first time the maid came after we settled in, the bathtub and shower had an unbearable mildew/mold smell. The glass cups on the night stand also had a very strong moldy smell. We also found a small lizard in the water closet, which we tried to catch with a cup so that we could set it free, unfortunately it was too quick. Poor guy!

The beach is unbelievable! The sand is white and soft. The water is light turquoise green and very warm. It rivals the beaches in Tahiti. Relaxing under the shade from the umbrella, staring out at the white sand and beautiful water, and being served pina coladas by an outstanding server...we felt like we were in paradise.

We did rent a car so we were able to come and go as we pleased. Since the hotel is not in walking in distance of any restaurants, shops, or activities, I believe we would’ve felt too isolated if we didn’t have a car. Even though the beach is gorgeous, we’re too active to just relax on the beach several days in a row. Also like other reviewers, we believe that the food is good but it would be very financially draining to eat most of your meals there. The avg price for an entrée is $15USD. For each order, there is an additional $5USD delivery charge, 10% government tax, and 15% gratuity added. Just so that you can gauge, a really good made-to-order taco at a local restaurant around Playa del Carmen is $6 peso or $0.50 USD. Even at this price, we were still getting ripped off! If you went to the local modern (very nice) supermarket and bought gourmet deli smoked turkey (the best brand that you could buy), gourmet grueyere cheese, apples, bananas, gourmet pasteries, Rambutan (exotic fruit), a bottle of moderate French wine, and a baguette, it would cost $19USD.

Bottom line, make sure you rent a car, rest assure that there are plenty of great food and shopping options a few miles away in Playa del Carmen, and BARGAIN. If you don’t bargain, you will end up shelling out as much as if you went to the Hamptons or Beverly Hills. Yes, they are that aggressive there!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank team_tour
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I booked this hotel to take my children to Mexico for the first time. My husband and I travel to the area 4 or 5 times a year, and i wanted them to experience the area. As a couple, we stay at the Tides. We have also stayed at the Rosewood Mayakoba, which is lovely. We chose the Fairmont because of the child friendly options available there-water slide and lots of pools, etc..
I feel that the size of the resort takes away from the service. The level of cleanliness and "can do" attitude did not compare to my stays in other hotels in the area. However, it was more ideal for the children. Speaking of children, they are everywhere, of every age. Honeymooners should know this before booking.
My biggest complaint was this- every morning at 8:00 am, housekeeping would come in to my adjoining deluxe casita or above casita and start cleaning. This involved 3 people laughing, moving heavy chairs around etc... I had to call the front desk every day of my 5 night stay to ask them to continue a little later. I even slipped a note under the door asking them nicely to quiet down one morning!
Overall a nice property with good service, but not nearly as good as what I have experienced in (yes, more expensive) 5 star hotels in the area.

2  Thank melissamce