“Nice property and rooms.”
Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

Fairmont Mayakoba
Ranked #9 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed at this property for one night prior to staying for a week at Rosewood Mayakoba. The grounds are gorgeous and our room was really well appointed. While I am entitled to a room upgrade through Centurion, they awarded us a three category upgrade which was really nice. Aside from that added level of service, the service was nothing special. The BMW bikes that are available around the property are also a nice touch. Our butler was a little slow and not as attentive as Rosewood but he was nice nonetheless. The service at the hotel is definitely not five star. The service was pretty average and consistent with a four star property. The service on the beach was extremely slow. We thought the pools were pretty but they were pretty packed with noisy children. My biggest complaint with this resort was the fact that when we arrived for breakfast, we had to wait twenty minutes for a table. I thought that was pretty peculiar especially for breakfast. All in all the hotel was pretty, the staff was nice, and its a much cheaper alternative to Rosewood and Banyan Tree. However, I would highly recommend Rosewood because it was fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PrincessSC
Fairmont M, Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear PrincessSC,

Thank you for your feedback. I have addressed the speed of service opportunities with the respective managers. We sincerely appreciate your positive comments, but we feel that one night is perhaps not enough to fully experience all the activities that Fairmont Mayakoba has to offer.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Sven Richter
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,482)

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I just found paradise on earth at the Fairmont Mayakoba!!! I stayed there for 5 nights and loved every minute of it. I wanted to go somewhere to enjoy the beach but also to find tranquility. I love hotels that cater to calmer people and where a party is not going on at each minute of the day. I had been to the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda and just loved the service provided by Fairmont that I looked into their other hotels. I found this one, read a lot about it and got a very fair price with vouchers bought on travelzoo. I could have booked on their website for 20$ more but I had gotten an upgrade with those vouchers. I want to advise you first that this review may be long because of all the wonderful things I have to say about this hotel!

*Mayakoba complex: It is a huge complex where there are 3 hotels now and a fourth one in a year or two....Banyan Tree, Rosewood and Andaz being built. They have a mission to keep the nature the most intact possible. Every tree that was cut for building purposes was replanted somewhere else. There are no huge buildings, only small buildings spread over. You have lagoons all over the property.

Rooms: There is a small building of 4 floors adjacent to the lobby and then you have casitas spread out all over the property. Most of them have 2 floors with 2 rooms on each. Each casita is separated from the others with vegetation so you almost do not see your neighbor. I was on the second floor and during my whole stay, I never heard a thing from downstairs or next door. I never slept like this in a hotel room before in my life! I once did 7 hours without opening an eye which is very rare for me. I had a deluxe casita which was around 500 square feet. The rooms are impeccable and very clean.

Service: This is their strong point. Since I had booked with prepaid vouchers from travelzoo I was anxious to see how they would react. I have to add that I am a platinum member so maybe that had a lot to do with it but I was treated like a queen! I think I had something special every day in my room waiting for me. When it was not chocolates, it was a bouquet of flowers or a rose in the bathroom or freshly cut flowers next to my pillow. I was like a kid every time jumping up and down every time I had something new. I travel at least 5 times a year and am never blasé about it. You have a staff member waiting for you when you get there and they give you a small tour of the complex complete with explanations. I usually go back to the same hotels when I travel so I always get great service but this was exceptional. I made a joke that if they were trying to get me to come back, they were succeeding! The manager Mariana and my casita manager Jorge were above and beyond the call of duty. You go somewhere once and they greet you back with your name every time. They hire people with great memory.

*Transportation: They have golf carts, electric of course, that go around the property and you rarely wait more than a couple of minutes for one. The drivers are all so nice and personable. One of them, Geovanny, practiced his French with me every time. They also have bikes that you can borrow all over the property.

*Staff: I think Fairmont is an exception in many fields where they hire people and groom them to grow up and stay with the company. I talked with someone who had been a maid for them while studying and she said that they are exemplary employers. They treat people decently and give good salaries and work conditions. They should be applauded for that because it is rarely seen nowadays in many fields where contempt of the employees is wide spread.

*Restaurants: They are expensive. I had a 100$ credit per day with my vouchers and, even though, I was careful, I spent it all and even went over 2 days out of the 5. I only had coffee for breakfast because I had lunch early....did not drink at lunch except for one time....did not have too many drinks either and I spent my 100$. I can see where a family would find this expensive. I was by myself for this 100$. If a couple gets this promotion, be prepared to go over evert day. There are 3 restaurants but my favorite was Las Brisas which is located on the beach. The setting is just breathtaking.

*Activities: They have kayaks, paddle boards, catamarans that can be rent and it is complimentary. There are 2 boat tours available, electric boats also, one that does the lagoon in the property for around 45 minutes and concentrates on bird watching. I even saw crocodiles!!! There is another ferry that takes 90 minutes and it does a tour of the other hotels but they also talk about the Fairmont properties being built and one of the guides is an agent that can arrange for you to set up a meeting if you want to buy one. Not in my price range sadly...haha...However, they have another guide that concentrates on the history of the complex and on the birds. You can also visit a cave which I did not get to do but I will go back to do it. There are paths where you can walk or run.

*Beach: It is not very big but since I went on a slower time of year, I had no problem getting a chair but I heard that it can get very crowded in winter months. There are rocks at the entrance of the water but when you go further there are none. The water is beautiful and a gorgeous blue.

I would go back tomorrow if I could. I am not a fan of hot weather and humidity but you get used to it after a while. I brought too many clothes. I stayed in a bathing suit and a cover up all day and it is more casual also for dinner. I felt overdressed a couple of times. I am used to cruise ships, Bermuda and New York city where people get dressed more for dinner. I will know next time I go back.

If you are looking to party, stay in a hotel in Cancun...if you want quiet people looking to unwind in a quiet setting...this is for you.

Room Tip: Every room is incredible in my opinion but the basic Fairmont room is next to the construction site...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank cricri7
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We took a staff retreat (Small stall of 4) to playa and had a wonderful staff at the Fairmont. The staff, especially our butler Alberto, were phenomenal. We felt personally taken care of the entire trip, and it was by far one of the best experiences we have had traveling.
The food was five star, and every meal was amazing.

We not only relaxed, but were able to enjoy all that Playa has to offer. I would highly recommend the Fairmont to anyone! We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We have stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba every summer for the past four years. We love the resort. The service is excellent and the resort has a lot to offer for families and couples alike. Our kids love the resort.
We strongly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Fabulous location. Breathtaking nature. Excellent hotel .BeautifuL room , specially the bathroom.
Very friendly staff. Excellent SPA
It was an unforgetable experience. An accumulation of unforgetable moments to cherish and remember. A dream place to go back to.

Room Tip: Suites are gorgeous and large
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MichalA677
Reviewed July 2, 2014

just returned from our 6th visit. Mayakoba is gorgeous. This Fairmont is outstanding. Loved our casita suite. We can't wait to go back. Bravo to kids club for keeping our son so interested in going back. LOVE the paddle tennis courts. Best place for dinner is The Rosewood, the beachfront restaurant. Rent a car for $80/week IF you have President's Club and thus free valet parking. If not, pre-arrange Fairmont transportation.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Julie M
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed with family in this special resort which is very different in it's layout ... extremely impressed by ALL it's staff who are universally friendly & anxious to be of assistance virtually all speak English .... associated with a first class golf course , the resort boasts several excellent restaurants serving delicious dishes .. The accommodations are 1st class

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family