Definitely one of the best hotels in this area. It is part of the Mayakoba resorts which includes 2 amazing resorts, Banyan Tree and Rosewood. My husband and I went here for our honeymoon. Here are my pros and cons:
- grounds are well kept
- scenery is unlike any other with lagoons, forest, golf course, beach and all kinds of wildlife around you. They even have their own cenote in the resort
- beach is beautiful. Fairmont's beach area is better than Rosewood and Banyan Tree mainly because of space. Staff said it rained alot the week prior so some rocks were scattered and also the sand space for laying out is limited....however, Fairmont beach didn't have this problem.
- you can take boat around mayakoba to other hotels and to other locations of the resort. it is such a wonderful experience that you can't get in any other hotels
- you can also bike or take a tram to get around; the wait is not too long.
- villa is spacious, clean and has nice finishes; didn't look tired at all and housekeeping came twice a day :)
- staff were amazing...available for anything and was always professional and prompt
- children! since we were on our honeymoon, we would've preferred to have stayed at the other 2 mayakoba resorts since fairmont was definitely the more kid friendly place out of the 3 resorts. if you have kids, this is the place for you!
- we were eaten by mosquitos! the resort has mosquito repellant on hand in your room and all over... USE THEM! i learned this the hard way and my legs looked like i had chicken pox when I came back home.
- could be alot of walking since the place is so large...
- wifi is not free, just go to rosewood to access it for free.
what we loved:
we rented a car for one day to check out tulum. that was so worth it! tulum, the ruins and the beach area was worth the drive. we went to the ruins early and then checked out the town. we had lunch and pretty much chilled at a boutique hotel which i highly recommend, it is called ana y jose hotel. since we weren't staying at the hotel, we had to pay to stay at the beach to be offered drinks, food and to be able to lay around beachside. we paid $25. not too happy about that, but oh well. the beach in tulum is so much better than playa del carmen. i'm sure you didn't think it could get any better...well, it can!
we also took a taxi one night to the town of playa del carmen. it's nice to go, but it is just like all the other mexico town with all the same stores selling all the same stuff. we were happy to find a starbucks that had free wifi. that was an awesome find!
we stayed here for 5 days and it was plenty of time to do everything we wanted. would definitely go back here again...maybe stay in tulum next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 45 acre Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, a AAA 5 Diamond Award property, boasts 401 rooms and suites, including a collection of beach and lagoon casitas, offering guests extraordinary views of the grounds. Guests at Fairmont Mayakoba can take advantage of several recreational activities on property including exploring nature trails on foot or BMW bikes, scenic boat tours on lanchas through crystal clear canals, sunbathing on the soft white-sand beach or at one of the property's several pools, non-motorized watersports (kayaks and catamarans), outdoor tennis and paddle courts, golfing on the renowned El Camaleon golf course (host to the only official PGA TOUR event in Mexico), lessons at the Jim McLean Golf School or being pampered with signature Mayan treatments at the luxurious Willow Stream Spa. Children and teens have a space just for them at the Discovery Club or at the Teens Room by Sony PlayStation(R). Fairmont Mayakoba's commitment to the environment has earned the resort several awards and accolades including a seal of verification by Rainforest Alliance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Fairmont Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Fairmont
- Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico