Fairmont Mayakoba
$191
$537
$517
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$385
$293
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
$583
$258
Melia.com
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$448
$359
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$387
$229
Melia.com
$562
$676
$450
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$15,600
4,726 results
All reviewsel puertosignature casitalas brisasdeluxe casitala laguna restaurantwillow stream spapresidents clubbmw bikesgolf cartlobby loungeresort feebanyan treebeach areabeautiful propertymain buildingall inclusive optionbutler service
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Family spent 4 nights in August at the Mayakoba. We traveled down from Cancun with a rental car which provided us with the ability to leave the resort.

The Mayakoba resort shares one huge entrance. Front guard waived us in and we had a short drive to the Fairmont. Upon arrival into the Fairmont, we noticed a huge crowd of people leaving that day. Still the valet helped us immediately with our car and took our bags.

Due to the crowd checking out, there was a short wait to check-in. Unfortunately our room wasn't ready at 230pm so he asked us to have a seat and to check back in 30 minutes. They did give us a few cold drinks in plastic cups and cold wet towels. The lobby is quite stunning, overlooking the resort. After sitting around for a while, decided to check with the front desk. The young lady informed us that our room was ready. Instead of having me check with the front desk, it would have been nicer if they came to find us when the room was ready.

Our signature casita room was on the 2nd floor overlooking a canal in the 600s. The room was large with huge windows/balcony. The bathroom was also huge with a large tub and shower. Large king bed which was very comfortable. Working desk with plugs, large LED TV. Plenty of closet space with electronic safe. There is a small fridge and plenty of bottled water. There is a turn down service in the evening. My son decided to take a bath the first night and we realized the tub wouldn't drain so had to call maintenance.

Newspapers were dropped by the front door (someone probably tosses them rather than hang them). Twice it rained in the morning so the papers were drenched and then not replaced with new ones which was irritating.

The Fairmont has several swimming pools. Each is well staffed with folks bringing towels and drinks. The large pool in the center with a slide is a big hit with the kids.

The beach is fairly long but there isn't much sand as most of the beach front casitas are close to the water. Many of the covered areas are reserved for those beach front rooms. Service at the beach was a disappointment to me. Had to find someone to set up chairs and provide us with towels.

We had the buffet breakfast everyday at the La Laguna which had a good variety everyday of fruits, breads, mexican food and an omelette station. Service was very good. Fresh coffee and different fresh juices each day allowed us a good start. We had one lunch by the large pool next to La Laguna which was fine. As for dinner, we had one dinner at La Laguna which was ok, nothing special but suited our needs. We also had dinner at El Puerto one night which was excellent from the food quality to the service. Otherwise, we headed out to Playa Del Carmen for a few dinners/lunches.

The spa is quite good. Had a massage one day and the service was excellent. The gym is also in the spa and is well equipped. The golf course also looks fantastic but did not have time to play.

The grounds are large as others have indicated. We never had a problem or long wait for the golf carts to pick you up. There was a lack of bicycles (we only had one day where they were available for our party to ride around) compared to numbers of people during our stay.

Wifi is good in the rooms and by the pools. There is a cost unless you are a Fairmont member.

Check-out was easy. Called for help with luggage which they picked up immediately. Bill was correct and our rental car was waiting out front.

Overall: Wonderful grounds, the place is well kept considering the open space. Lots of wildlife and a nice boat tour through the property. Staff (especially the drivers and folks working in the restaurant) were fun and engaging. Rooms were well laid out and very comfortable and quiet. Bugs do bite after the sun sets!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank johnathome
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear johnathome,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on TripAdvisor, but especially for selecting Fairmont Mayakoba as your home during your recent visit to Riviera Maya.
I sincerely apologize for the “bumpy” start; however, I’m happy to read that our colleagues managed to have your room ready before check-in time (set at 3 pm).
Your comments on the culinary offering, the service and the grounds are much appreciated and have been shared with all departments involved, either to take note and make improvements, or to inspire our Colleagues to continue providing the warm and personalized service we are well known for.
We look forward to see you again on your next visit to Mexico.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We just got back from the Fairmont Mayakoba yesterday and we were hoping for a airline delay so we could stay longer.

We were very concerned that the weather would be an issue. The first couple of days there was rain on and off and not much sun. We were thinking we might cut the trip short but so glad we didnt. The group included myself (1 room), a friend (1 room) and another couple (1 room). The rooms we got were in the 600 block. The two singles had signature casitas and the couple had the signature casita suite. I have taken pics of my room.

The good:

The rooms- as previously mentioned we had the Signature casitas or suites. They were roomy and very nicely laid out. The bed room had an office desk, king bed and a buffet with a coffee set, TV and a mini fridge. There were large closets on either side of the hall to the bathroom. Lots of hangers to hang stuff and lots of drawers. There was also a mini safe. The bath room was the most amazing bathroom!! It was like you were outside with a floor to ceiling windows. I just LOVED LOVED LOVED the bath products as well - Le Lobo.

The restaurants - food we had was fantastic in all the restaurants. The breakfast buffet had so many choices from eggs to fruit to mexican specialties. The coffee is fantastic too! (and amazingly in the rooms as well - french press - the best hotel room coffee i have ever had). Since the buffet was so big we usually skipped a formal lunch. But we did have tacos or a shared burger a couple days. We went into Playa Del Carmen 3 times for dinner and ate great due to recommendations from the concierge. We ordered room service - fantastic and at the steak/seafood restaurant. The dinner we had at El Puerto was the best dinner of the trip. I actually rated it one of the 10 best dinners i have ever had.

The Gym: I worked out 4 days while on vacation to tackle the great food. I used the Fairmont Fit program and had my outfit and shoes delivered to my room. This saved on suitcase space! Outfit was great. The gym staff we amazing - we ended up getting personal training for most of the days we went.

The Resort: beautiful!!! they must spend thousands of hours maintaing the property and plants. The beach was great with lots of seats. There were some slightly rocky areas but just move down the beach slightly and it is a clear sandy walk out.

There has been some complaints about the size of the resort and getting around. We used the bikes, walked and took the numerous carts when they came around. The bikes were fantastic for getting to the beach as it is a bit of a distance to get there. If you cant find a bike the cart comes around very often.

Overall I LOVED this resort. We didnt have the all inclusive package and didnt need it. Go to Playa Del Carmen and enjoy some of the great restaurants there. I would love to come back anytime!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amanda262626
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I spent five days at the Fairmont mayakoba from 8/29-9/3. Upon arrival in to the Cancun airport we were able to get through customs very quickly, when walking to the airpot exact be sure to bypass all of the time share people, they can be a bit overwhelming after a long day of traveling. We were able to secure a shuttle to the resort for $32 a person. It took about an hour to get there since we had to drop off a few other people at various resorts along the way.

When we reached mayakoba checkin was a breeze, they gave us some ice tea to drink and cold towels to wipe hands, very nice after traveling!

Rooms:

We had a casita in the 700's which is about as close as you can get to the beach without paying a crazy amount per night.. It is still about a 10-15 min walk though...the rooms are gorgeous, covered in marble with a huge bathroom, tub, and rain fall shower! Our balcony faced the jungle, beautiful scenery for your morning coffee!

Beach:

Their beach is beautiful, there were plenty of chairs open and it was not too crowded! However, I will say the service can be a bit slow at times but it was never really a problem. Very clean and soft sand!

Food:

Breakfast: We had breakfast each morning at La Laguna, they have a very extensive buffet every morning with pretty much everything you could ever want! I loved the fresh juice bar and omelet station!

La Brisas: We ate lunch here pretty much everyday, it is the restaurant that services the beach and the oceanside pool! Favorites were the cheeseburger, jumbo shrimp, tuna sandwhich, spring rolls, ceviche and much more! We also had dinner here one night and loved it!

El Puerto: We had dinner here one night and while it was great I really wish they would dim the lights a little bit... It is a bit odd having an elegant dinner with the lights on full blast!

*Be aware that drinks are pretty expensive and can definitley add up if you are not on the all inclusive package!

Getting around: I would not reccommend booking this resort of you do not like to walk. My husband and I would normally just start walking in whatever direction we were planning on going and about 80% of the time a golf cart would come by to pick us up. For us it did not really bother us that much since we enjoy walking and looking at the wildlife!

Spa and golf: Spa was amazing! I could have spent all say there! My husband loved the golf, he said it was the most beautiful course he had every played at!

Staff: There are no words that can accurately describe how amazing the staff is! You are treated like kings and they seem to truly enjoy their jobs. On our last day there it rained pretty much all day, in lieu of being stuck in our rooms all day my husband and I, along with a couple of friends we traveled with spent all day in the lobby eating and drinking! Much to our delight the staff brought us Jenga, which kept us amused for hours until the rain stopped!

Room Tip: If you have children you might want to be closer to La Isla; the kids center, La Laguna, Cafe Maya and main pools are there. Rooms in the 500-700's are closer to the beach, while rooms in the 800's and 900's are pretty much one the beach... There is about a 10-15 min walk between the 700's rooms and the 800's rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Whitney W
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear ww31256,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and pleasant review on TripAdvisor. Reading that you enjoyed your stay with us greatly is a testimony of the warm and personalized service provided by our Fairmont Colleagues.
We will be delighted to welcome you back on your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I can't say enough about this resort. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in thus far in my life! The seafood was truly outstanding and the beach was very lovely. It's great to be able to go to the other resorts for meals (Banyan Tree and Rosewood), but we honestly loved the Fairmont's restaurants more. The grounds of the property were lush and well maintained, and the golf cart service was really handy. The ferry ride on the canal between the resorts was pretty and the wildlife around the resort is beautiful. I would highly recommend this place for an upscale getaway!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RaRa829

Reading your review was a true pleasure, thank you for your wonderful comments on the resort facilities and grounds. I agree with you, the beds and the entire setting of our rooms makes for the most restful and pleasant sleep! I’ll pass on your comments to the culinary team who will be delighted to learn how much you like our restaurants.
Thank you again RaRa829 for recommending Fairmont Mayakoba to your friends and family. We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in Fairmont Mayakoba and we enjoyed very much our stay. The resort is huge, the wildlife is fantastic, you can watch the beautiful and unique birds while you have a wonderful breakfast, just watch out! If you don't pay attention, they will steal your food :))))
The beach is beautiful and never crowded, the staff is friendly and attentive. We loved the mexican food!!!! You have to try the speciality of worms and bugs in La Laguna :))))) Yummmmmyyyy!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Edi F
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Edi F,
Thank you for staying with us at Fairmont Mayakoba and for recommending us on TripAdivsor.
It is lovely to hear that you reconnected with nature while staying with us and that you enjoyed the culinary offerings, particularly the insects as they are a true Mexican delicacy and a dish that I’m sure whenever you think about it will bring back fond memories of your time in Mexico.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcome you back on your next vacations in Riviera Maya.