Family spent 4 nights in August at the Mayakoba. We traveled down from Cancun with a rental car which provided us with the ability to leave the resort.
The Mayakoba resort shares one huge entrance. Front guard waived us in and we had a short drive to the Fairmont. Upon arrival into the Fairmont, we noticed a huge crowd of people leaving that day. Still the valet helped us immediately with our car and took our bags.
Due to the crowd checking out, there was a short wait to check-in. Unfortunately our room wasn't ready at 230pm so he asked us to have a seat and to check back in 30 minutes. They did give us a few cold drinks in plastic cups and cold wet towels. The lobby is quite stunning, overlooking the resort. After sitting around for a while, decided to check with the front desk. The young lady informed us that our room was ready. Instead of having me check with the front desk, it would have been nicer if they came to find us when the room was ready.
Our signature casita room was on the 2nd floor overlooking a canal in the 600s. The room was large with huge windows/balcony. The bathroom was also huge with a large tub and shower. Large king bed which was very comfortable. Working desk with plugs, large LED TV. Plenty of closet space with electronic safe. There is a small fridge and plenty of bottled water. There is a turn down service in the evening. My son decided to take a bath the first night and we realized the tub wouldn't drain so had to call maintenance.
Newspapers were dropped by the front door (someone probably tosses them rather than hang them). Twice it rained in the morning so the papers were drenched and then not replaced with new ones which was irritating.
The Fairmont has several swimming pools. Each is well staffed with folks bringing towels and drinks. The large pool in the center with a slide is a big hit with the kids.
The beach is fairly long but there isn't much sand as most of the beach front casitas are close to the water. Many of the covered areas are reserved for those beach front rooms. Service at the beach was a disappointment to me. Had to find someone to set up chairs and provide us with towels.
We had the buffet breakfast everyday at the La Laguna which had a good variety everyday of fruits, breads, mexican food and an omelette station. Service was very good. Fresh coffee and different fresh juices each day allowed us a good start. We had one lunch by the large pool next to La Laguna which was fine. As for dinner, we had one dinner at La Laguna which was ok, nothing special but suited our needs. We also had dinner at El Puerto one night which was excellent from the food quality to the service. Otherwise, we headed out to Playa Del Carmen for a few dinners/lunches.
The spa is quite good. Had a massage one day and the service was excellent. The gym is also in the spa and is well equipped. The golf course also looks fantastic but did not have time to play.
The grounds are large as others have indicated. We never had a problem or long wait for the golf carts to pick you up. There was a lack of bicycles (we only had one day where they were available for our party to ride around) compared to numbers of people during our stay.
Wifi is good in the rooms and by the pools. There is a cost unless you are a Fairmont member.
Check-out was easy. Called for help with luggage which they picked up immediately. Bill was correct and our rental car was waiting out front.
Overall: Wonderful grounds, the place is well kept considering the open space. Lots of wildlife and a nice boat tour through the property. Staff (especially the drivers and folks working in the restaurant) were fun and engaging. Rooms were well laid out and very comfortable and quiet. Bugs do bite after the sun sets!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 45 acre Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, a AAA 5 Diamond Award property, boasts 401 rooms and suites, including a collection of beach and lagoon casitas, offering guests extraordinary views of the grounds. Guests at Fairmont Mayakoba can take advantage of several recreational activities on property including exploring nature trails on foot or BMW bikes, scenic boat tours on lanchas through crystal clear canals, sunbathing on the soft white-sand beach or at one of the property's several pools, non-motorized watersports (kayaks and catamarans), outdoor tennis and paddle courts, golfing on the renowned El Camaleon golf course (host to the only official PGA TOUR event in Mexico), lessons at the Jim McLean Golf School or being pampered with signature Mayan treatments at the luxurious Willow Stream Spa. Children and teens have a space just for them at the Discovery Club or at the Teens Room by Sony PlayStation(R). Fairmont Mayakoba's commitment to the environment has earned the resort several awards and accolades including a seal of verification by Rainforest Alliance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Fairmont Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Fairmont
- Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico