Fairmont Mayakoba
Panama Jack Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$241
$235
  • Pool
$669
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$397
$261
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
$288
$239
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$450
$280
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$244
$202
$864
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$387
$289
Melia.com
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
$168
$160
Orbitz.com
$781
$504
4,637 results
All reviewsel puertosignature casitalas brisasdeluxe casitala laguna restaurantwillow stream spapresidents clubbmw bikesgolf cartlobby loungeresort feebanyan treebeach areabeautiful propertymain buildingall inclusive optionbutler service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband, my son and I stayed at the Fairmont from August 6-13. We traveled with 4 other families: Total: 10 adults, 9 kids (ranging from 2-11, all boys).
We arrived in the dark, around 7pm. We were greeted with a cold fruity ice tea and an ice cold washcloth. It was dark and we couldn't see a view of the the beach. Bummer! Where's the beach? Then the mosquitoes greeted us. OUCH! OUCH! We finally got to our room. One bed and a crib in there. Hello, I have an 11 year-old. So we move again. Our other friends had issues with a moldy smell in the 100's room. They move too. We finally settle in 518. Two other families settle in 517 and 514. These are close to the main pool, the market, and La Laguna restaurant and bar. So it's a good location for us. The rest stayed in the 600's. No gripes there (that I know of).

The Beach: It's far from our room, unless you are a die hard athlete and love to walk in the heat with mosquitoes feasting on your yummy hot body (let's all have a visual). We opted for the tram. They are frequent and the men who drive them are all so nice. Don't sweat it (good luck with the sweating part), they will be there soon enough, seriously. Oh ya, this is about the beach. The beach in front of the Fairmont is a clean narrow white sand beach with rocky, broken coral and shells at the water's edge with soft sand. There's broken glass occasionally (sharp, not tumbled sea glass). Bring your water shoes. I wore my ugly Tevas everywhere (in the water too). I was the only nut case doing this. So much for fashion (they are comfortable). One of our friends got a cut on his foot. He got it looked at by a doctor in the hotel. Two hundred dollars later... He was told to go to the ER for stitches on a superficial wound. My husband and I told him to forget about it (we have a medical background). We applied "stuff" and let is dry. He is still alive and the wound has healed. (Disclaimer: You might not be so lucky. Know yourself. Bring your doctor friend with you. Let him pay. HAHA! ) There are palapas and food service on the beach. During the first two days some of our friends belly ached about the speed of the service. You're gonna have to chill out. Your margarita is coming! Really! If you think they forgot. Kindly remind them. All of the wait staff at the beach were wonderful. Tweak your brain. Leave your nasty self at home. Like one of the mommies in our group said, "Negativity attracts negativity." Watch your food. Occasionally, a raccoon comes and attacks the food. So eat all your food right away or else the critters will get to it before you do. The ocean was calm in the morning. Later in the day, the winds kicked up and it got choppy but the water temperature was always nice and warm. It rained cats and dogs once and I had to take shelter behind a chair and covered myself with a towel and read a book.

The room: Nice. Clean. I forgot to mention to the hotel they have termites. They show up around the tub, dead at the end of the day. We saw a small lizard running in our room. Some might freak out but that is really a none issue to me. I'm from the tropics. It's typical. We saw a coati on our balcony. Lots of birds around the property. Real pretty ones too. I know I'm talking about nature... Sorry back to the room... Beds are comfy, clean, white, TV has some English and Spanish channels. There's a fridge but it's empty. They give you lots of water. We put it in the fridge so they are cold when we want a drink. They have turn down service and they swap out your wet towels but where's my little chocolate? I had to buy my own. The shower is one of those rain showers from above. Good water pressure. We were on the second floor of one of the 2 story casitas.

Gym: Nice. I worked out once due to guilt from too much eating and lounging. Good equipment with treadmill, ellipticals (sp?), weights and machines. Good service there.

Food: It's not over the top amazing but it's good. One my favorites was the fish ceviche. La Laguna has a buffet for breakfast. The beach restaurant has a breakfast buffet as well. The beach one has less selections and it's $US10 cheaper. We ate at the beach restaurant for dinner once. We had mixed reviews all around. So it's not perfect but I'm all good with it. We had dinner at the Rosewood Casa del Lago. Too expensive. My paella had crunchy rice. Not worth the money. We went to Playa del Carmen for several dinners. There are many nice restaurants there. The concierge can reserve a restaurant for you. We ate at Aldea de Corazon and Sur Argentina. We ate at an Italian restaurant too.

Kid's Club: Our little friend's stayed there during some afternoons so some of the mommies can replenish their alcohol levels. I didn't hear any gripes. The big kids (7-11) were not interested. they preferred playing at the beach or going down the water slide located in the main pool.

Bikes: Adults can grab any bike they see and ride it. Children must bring an adult with them and sign a waiver at the hut near the spa before they can ride a bike. All children's bikes are taken at night and checked. Children must go back to the hut everyday to get a bike. Shorter people might see if they can ride a kid's bike. The one I had was a little high for you. I saw a lady riding a kid's bike.

Grounds: The grounds are nicely kept. It is quite different than most of the resorts we have stayed at. It's not open with a big pool in the middle. The casitas dot the resort and paths meander along the sides of canals. Bridges connect the the roads together. Our family learned to love the locale. It's just beautiful. Many reviewers articulate it much better than I do. If you want a different experience in Playa del Carmen, this place might be for you. You can bike around or just ride the tram everywhere and experience the beautiful scenery. The biggest downer for me was the mosquitoes. I'm a mosquito magnet. I learned to love the scent of herbal bug repellant although I must confess I had to resort to Deet products because i was bombarded by mosquito bites in the beginning. They do sell Off bug spray in the market.

Spa: Big bummer. We did not use the spa.

Overall: My husband and his buddies got a great deal from Expedia. It wasn't all-inclusive. That would have been nice if it was. Some of our friends thought that it was expensive but I think that it was a good deal even without the all-inclusive plan. This resort had some really busy days with plenty of families. All these people could not all be wrong. We went to visit the Rosewood and it was super quite. I ask someone there and he said they were at 40% of capacity. Would I go back? That's the ultimate question. Sure. Would I recommend it to someone? Yes I would.

4  Thank SBATustin
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear SBATustin,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of Fairmont Mayakoba. We are sorry for the bumpy start of your vacations with us, but reading that our colleagues were able to help you and accommodate your group in a beautiful sector of the resort talks about the Fairmont service.
We thank you for all your honest feedback and will look into resolving those issues that need to be fixed; we also thank you for all the nice compliments about the facilities and the service, but most of all for recommending Fairmont Mayakoba to your friends and family.
We look forward to welcome you back at the “Venice of the Caribbean”.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night before heading to a work trip. I wouldn't want to stay more than a night because it's more of an experience place than a vacation place.

The hotel layout is strange but unique. You are pretty much in a jungle and it's like staying in a posh tree house. You are very far from the beach if you stay in the main hotel. You must bike or take a golf cart to the beach as its really far. The infinity pool on the beach is nice. The rooms are really big and bathrooms are gorgeous.

Cool experience but wouldn't want to stay there for a long time.

• Stayed: August 2013
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Canj83:
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba, even when you stayed with us for only a night. One of the beauties of the hotel is that, because of its contoured water structure the guest experience is enriched by the flora and fauna that have made Mayakoba its home and therefore one can reconnect with nature and relax fully. For travellers that rather enjoy hotels with amenities in a walking distance, we recommend booking a room in the Beach Area, just a few steps from the beach, pool and Las Brisas restaurant.
Thank you again for your comments; we look forward to welcome you back.
Paulina Feltrin
Director of Public Relations

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed: 8/5/13 - 8/10/13
Traveled with: Family of 3 with infant

Resort Accommodations: Beach Area Casita Suite
Pros: Spacious, modern, and clean. To be honest, this was one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in and we travel quite a bit. Outdoor wrap-around terrace and rooftop pool were a big plus. Housekeeping came twice a day and cleaned the room very nicely.
Cons: None.

Food: All-Inclusive Appetite for Luxury Package
Restaurants: Las Brisas Restaurant, El Puerto Restaurant and La Laguna Restaurant

Las Brisas:
Pros: Great Location on the beach. Excellent service. Menu had enough items to cover a week stay. Lunch and Dinner were above-average.
Cons: None.

El Puerto Restaurant
Pros: Excellent food quality and selection. Service was great .
Cons: Not included in All-Inclusive (unless other restaurants are closed).

La Laguna Restaurant
Pros: Service was good.
Cons: Food quality and selection is well below average (1 star at best). Needs to be replaced with a restaurant of Fairmont standards.

Pool / Beach
Pros: Beach is great (little to no waves but very relaxing and clean) and service was good. Used the pool near the beach which we found to be nice (food selection was better, smaller and quieter, and convenient location). Service at pool was very good.
Cons: Too few umbrellas on the beach.

Only pros. The service is wonderful. The waiters were very nice, funny, and personable. Everyone will address you by name after a day or two.

Overall
This is an expensive resort meant for families with children. Please do not fault the hotel if you fail to do your research before booking.

To Fairmont - Thank you for everything. We truly enjoyed our anniversary and look forward to staying with you in the future.

Room Tip: Beach Area Casita Suite is great
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear TravelAsMuchAsYouCan,
Greetings from sunny Riviera Maya. Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at Fairmont Mayakoba and for selecting our beach resort to celebrate your anniversary.
We sincerely appreciate your kind comments on the spacious beach area casita suite, grounds and the culinary experiences offered at all of the hotel’s restaurants, but most of all we thank you for complimenting the service, as our colleagues are the most important resource in our commitment to turning moments into memories for our guests.
Regarding the couple of cons mentioned, they have been shared with the management as to evaluate and take the proper action.
We look forward to welcome you back.
Paulina Feltrin
Director of Public Relations

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel is nested within a large Development in Riviera Maya. Mayakoba is truly an experience in itself. Respect for nature and a huge production is a trademark here.
Cenotes, lakes, canals are the star of this development, with three top notch hotels.
Fairmont has a great setup, with very nice casitas bordering the rivers.
Pools are great and fun for kids. Kids all ages will love this hotel. They have BMW bikes at no cost for kids and adults, kids club is fun, water slide will have kids going, and boat rides are very nice.
Service is very friendly and food is good.
A hotel for romance or families alike.

Room Tip: Select Casita Rooms. Luxurious, spacious and Quiet.
1  Thank Armando G
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We spent 6 relaxing days with our 3 young kids at the Fairmont Mayakoba. The service was very good and the rooms where what you would expect for this class of hotel - very nice, spacious and comfortable. The property, which is shared with the Rosewood and the Banyan Tree, is very large and can be explored by bicycle or jogging (if you can stand the heat) through their nature trail. You can also take a one hour tour on their small boats exploring the system of rivers and cenotes that weave throughout the property - something I would highly recommend especially with little ones. The golf course looks challenging and beautifully kept, but I did not get to play since we were with our little ones. The spa also looks to be up to par for this very nice resort. The only criticism I would have is the property is short on dining choices and pools given the size of the resort. By the third day we were growing tired of the 3 only restaurants - 2 of which are the only breakfast options. The Laguna pool is also crowded every day since it has a slide which was a big hit with our kids.