“Secluded Paradise”

Fairmont Mayakoba
Ranked #10 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for a family vacation with older children. It was a very relaxed, secluded environment. The property is spread over a wide area but the hotel provides multiple means of transportation – including electric carts (that move silently so as not to disturb guests) bikes, and even boats. The large property makes each room feel very private. The service is friendly, sincere, and unpretentious at a consistently high level. The beach is a little rocky, but very calm. There are many pools spread throughout the property, including two infinity pools – one with an ocean view and the other with a beautiful river/mangrove view. The main pool is decorated nicely, and even though it is a large resort-style pool, carefully positioned gardens and palm trees divide the pool into areas perfect for families to feel more private.

The food is fresh, well prepared, and has lots of vegetarian/vegan options. We also dined at the Banyan Tree next door in the Mayakoba complex and the Thai restaurant “Saffron” was delicious and very authentic, with our table situated over the river. The Fairmont provided transportation complimentary.
We also participated in a private beer tasting one afternoon with Luis. Luis was clearly very dedicated and knowledgeable. He introduced us to many different types of artesian beers, and worked hard to create special food pairings to accommodate our dietary restrictions. This was one of the highlights of our trips and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves good food and drink.

Our Butler (Sal) was courteous and friendly, and always stopped by multiple times each day to make sure our stay was going well and arrange for anything we needed.
Will return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank brookfieldd1976
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear brookfieldd1976,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba, and particularly for complimenting the serviced provided by our staff. I have shared them with our team, particularly with Luis and Salvador, as your testimonial is an inspiration to continue turning moments into memories for our guests.

I would also like to thank you for recommending the Craft Mexican Beer Tasting to travelers considering visiting Fairmont Mayakoba, we are the only hotel in Mexico offering such an experience and as you mentioned Luis is very passionate about the subject, making it equally fun and interesting. I will also share your comments to our culinary team who make sure the Lifestyle Cuisine menus offer different vegan options at each of the restaurants.

We hope to welcome you back to our secluded paradise en Riviera Maya.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont for a conference and found it an excellent venue. Staff were always delightful, pools and beach well maintained, only a small gripe ....the Bambu pool had no waiter service, or any other service, something which could be easily rectified.

If you don't like walking and the resort is large, the golf buggy's pick you up & I rarely waited more than 5 minutes for one, in either direction. The resort was host to a fair sized convention and a fair sized wedding as well as other guests, yet it never felt crowded or full. I particularly liked that there are pools for adults only. The room was clean and well cared for, and the concierge staff, particularly Marco, were super helpful and knowledgeable.

I also like that one could eat at the other restaurants in Mayakoba, and that the hotel provided transport to both the Banyan Tree & the Rosewood, which had a brilliant Asian Fusion restaurant, pricey, but worth it. Book the boat trip (around the resort) as you arrive, as it does get busy & booked up, but is very enjoyable and interesting. All in all it was well picked by the organisers of the conference.

Room Tip: Casita rooms are lovely in mid rain forest or on the river, but not in mosquito season if you are pr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear 81Val,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba. It is always delightful to read comments of our guests and particularly those who even when staying for business got the time to enjoy the hotel’s facilities and services.
I agree with you, the boat tour is a memorable experience as it gives you a different perspective of the hotel and the green efforts in place; but it is also a unique opportunity to see up close some of the 250 species that live in Mayakoba. As you well point it out, best is to reserve it before your arrival or on the very first day because even when we offer the tour every hour at daylight on a daily basis, it is one of the most requested activities.
We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. the room was very clean and centrally located. once you get a handle on the property its easy to get around by walking, taking one of the bikes at the bike stands, or catching shuttle. the staff is very accommodating and their English was impeccable. I was in a casita, and the landscaping around it was perfect. the room itself was huge and the bath area was like being outdoors but with complete privacy. Gym was great, although I thought the Spa prices were exhorbitant. meeting facilities were clean, well stocked and very open. beach is a bit small, but the pools more than made up for that. food was very good at all restaurants, and the hotel is about 20 minute cab ride into Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: Casitas in the 500 range are close to everything
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A gorgeous and breath taking hotel. The staff were so attentive and kind and were at your service 24/7. The buffet breakfast was one of the best I have ever seen in my life, with such an incredible selection of food. The pool area by the beach was lovely and relaxing. Having the luxury of carts to escort you around the stunning grounds made you feel like a vip. My only negative point was that you could not order sushi by the pool as they only had it at the main lobby restaurant. The bedrooms were like paradise with the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. I would definitely go back to stay at this hotel. I visited the spa to have my hair put up for a wedding and she was spectacular.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Anouska M,
Reading your comment make me smile and remember how lovely is to stay at Fairmont Mayakoba. I will pass on your compliments to the management as it is a testimonial of the attention to detail that all of the hotel’s colleagues have to create a memorable experience for our guests.
I’m also happy to know that you visited the resort for a Wedding, and we hope to welcome you back for another special occasion or a relaxing beach vacation.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We booked this resort at the last minute due to change in travel plans. Exceptional property, good service/friendly staff, nice beach, good food... If you plan to drink/eat at the resort every day consider an all inclusive option, otherwise rent a car and you will have various options in Playa and Puerto Morelos. We will be back.

Room Tip: Casita deluxe units are quite nice, ask for the top floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VasyaStamford_CT
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I attended a beauitiful beach wedding with 70 other attendees at this resort. The ceremony and reception at Las Brisas were very nicely done. I enjoyed visiting and being invited by the bride and groom however the accident I experienced and following horrible odor from my toilet backing up into my shower and sewage problem kept me daily having to contact and repeatedly retell the problems I was having to different managers every 6/8 hours they changed shifts. The previous manager on duty obviously rarely communicated guests pro lems or accidents occuring on their shift to the oncoming new manager taking over. Needless to say, from wed. Evening upuntil a begged for room change I finally received on sat. Afternoon ( the day before my departure) I had to constantly deal with bad condition due to mangrove roots backing up my shower and causing unbeknownst to me 5 inches of water to cover my entire bathroom floor. After stepping into my bathroom area I slipped and fell flat on my back and hit my head very hard also. I did get to see a very nice doctor who examined me but later was told by one concierge that I would have to pay for that visit and another one I was requesting. This was later cleared up but then the housecleaning manager informed me that sewage was backing up into this same shower. 5 hours later I finally got moved sat. After waiting and missing the wedding party pool and beach party given by the bride and groom. After all was said and done I was given 2 nites off my final bill and still am waiting for a response to other questionable charges regarding my final bill. Definitely wont ever return to the Fairmont Mayakoba. The waiters , cooks , repairmen and cleaning crews however were fantastic.

Room Tip: Don't. Iadvise choose a different resort.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank scw2747

Thank you for taking the time to express on TripAdvisor the incidents from your recent stay with us, and also for sharing how gracious the service provided by the waiters, cooks and rest of the staff is.
I sincerely apologize for the incidents described as they do not represent the guest experience of Fairmont Mayakoba. Noticing that you are already in communication with us via another channel, I will review internally so that we follow up with your request.
Thank you again for allowing us the opportunity to improve.
Cordially,

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our stay has been great- -we have 2 connecting rooms upstairs and it feels spacious enough for 5 of us to relax and have our own space. Beach has been great; food really good and the service and staff very warm, professional and helpful. You feel very safe tucked in to Mayakoba and we have gone into Playa del Carmen for shopping and dinner several times- - and you also feel very safe there. A great relaxing and energizing family vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family