“Great resort, service so-so”
Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

Fairmont Mayakoba
Ranked #13 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Recently visited Mayakoba with a large group for a company trip. My first impression was that the resort is so unique compared to any other because of the waterways meandering throughout. All the wildlife and nature are very captivating.
The rooms were spacious and comfortable and what you would expect at a luxury resort. We did encounter a small issue upon arrival with the ac not working in our room (600 section) and it smelling like mildew. The staff corrected the issue while we were at dinner so it wasn't necessary to change rooms.

Both pools at the resort were very well maintained and beautiful, but the service was WAY better at the beach pool. At the main pool we waited 45 minutes for our drinks (4 of us) and almost every time we ordered there was a mistake. The bartender at times acted like he was bothered by helping us. Not what you would expect from a Fairmont property.
This type of service was also reflected during breakfast at La Laguna. I didn't want the buffet served during breakfast but it took 15-20 min for a waiter to even come over with a menu or to take my drink order. You're better off just paying a little extra for room service! Those guys were always happy and the food was brought with a quickness.
The bartender at the beach bar, Angel, is probably the best at the resort! He is always happy and ready to quench your thirst.
The golf cart transportation guys were always available and ALWAYS happy to take you where you need. I liked the bikes placed around the reosrt. It was a fun way to explore the resort and work in some exercise.

Dinner at Las Brisas was good, but others in my group were not as impressed. I guess it all depends on what you order, but my Churrasco steak was delicious.
We had a couple hosted company dinners which were all fantastic. I was most impressed with the filet and lobster we had our last night. Everything was cooked perfectly which can be difficult to do for 200+ people at a time.
All in all I would recommend this resort, but there is definitely some room for improvement on the service side (main pool bar, La Laguna, Lobby bar)

Room Tip: The 600 block of rooms is very close to the main pool!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear BBirakos,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us. I’m sorry to read that your stay was less than perfect, but I hope you give us the opportunity to be your host again on your next visit to Riviera Maya and we are able to correct this; we are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience.
I apologize for the slow service you experienced at La Laguna and the main pool, however I’m also happy to read that you get to meet with Angel who graciously took your orders and anticipated your needs. I’ll also share your comment with the Tatich team (golf cart transportation personnel) who, as you mentioned, are great ambassadors of the hotel and a wonderful resource for activities within the hotel and the destination.
Chef Raul will also be pleased to know you found the filet and lobster at the banquet event cooked to perfection, providing personalized and memorable experiences for all our guests, group or leisure, is what we strive for.
We look forward to welcome you back.
Regards,
Paulina Feltrin
Director of Public Relations

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Mayakoba

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We moved from an AI to here towards end of the trip and so glad we did for a different experience. Five star when you get out of the taxi they asked if you are "mrs. Xksifod". We upgraded to signature casita right on the water near main bldg and so glad we did. Room truly 5 star. Don't do deluxe casita garden view. For what I can see your balcony is just sitting right in mangroves. Very dark and not too appealing. I'd even consider regular fairmont room in the main building to have a nicer view. I wouldn't even pay upgrade for deluxe casita beach side as its the same room layout and the shuttles are ample and a quick ride to the beach. Still here as I'm typing. Food excellent. Service top notch. Escalade transfers to other mayakoba resorts for dinner and the driver greets you by your name. Can truly tell difference between four star AI versus ala cart Five star. Definitely use fairmonts presidents club membership to obtain the free wifi which does work well. We got a great deal through American Express vacations (beat all popular booking sites) hands down on price, including transfers and trip insurance. Well worth room rate without having AI. Also Fairmont Presidents Club rate is very comparable. This is truly a place to visit. The only issue I have. The water has all shades of green and lovely, yet just a bit murky due to surf, not crystal clear like we had down in Bahia Principe Sian Kaan. I can see where this is an accomplished traveler destination or for business meetings. Also make sure you book way in advance the lagoon tour. Books up very fast.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We are a family of four (two teens ages 15 and 11) who had a memorable time at the Fairmont Mayakoba. The staff bend over backwards to help you, and all are genuinely friendly. It is apparent that they enjoy where they work, and we felt welcomed from the moment we stepped on to the property. Our casita (650-block on the canal) was refreshing and elegant, and although many folks commented on the birds, I found them charming and fascinating.
We loved going all over the property by bike (or in my daughter's case, by skateboard) or by golf cart. So quiet and peaceful. I loved the fact that the casitas are laid out across the property on winding paths set in the trees. They are only two stories high, so it feels like a neighborhood instead of a hotel.

We loved the breakfasts at La Laguna, and enjoyed dinner meals there and at El Puerto (more expensive and better quality) although Las Brisas - the most expensive restaurant on site - did not meet our expectations. It was still a great meal but we expected a WOW meal because we had heard so much about it. Still, overall, the food was high quality. It is because of the restaurants that I only gave four stars for value, although - again - Las Brisas was really good just not "wow" quality. (I was really impressed with the deck of La Laguna even more than Las Brisas, which is on the beach. The high winds made it impossible to sit outside at Las Brisas whereas "looking for wildlife" kept our daughters enthralled when we ate outside at La Laguna. Also, there are misters that gently spritz the deck to help keep the heat down during the day, which was a huge help.)

We did have one bad experience where the septic system seemed to have had a blip (leaving our room with a bad odor for one evening) but this was repaired promptly after we called the front desk. The Mayakoba is set on a series of canals in an ecopark where fresh water meets sea water, so there was sometimes a brackish smell outside our room - but we wanted to be in nature, so it was fine for us.

It is such a different environment, with the nature everywhere. Really beautiful. We would love to go back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We really enjoyed the Fairmont Mayakoba for our recent holiday to Mexico. The resort is clean, well maintained, and the staff is professional and attentive. The restaurants were good, but not great, but more than sufficient. The beaches are some of the best in area and it is secluded from the hustle and bustle of Playa without being too far away (15 min cab ride). Definitely would recommend this resort to a friend and consider it for another visit to Playa.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear AFA9677,
Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us and for recommending us to your friends and family. We are happy to have contributed for you to have a wonderful stay in Riviera Maya and we look forward to welcome you back.
Cordially,
Paulina Feltrin
Director of Public Relations

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I booked this trip last minute through JetBlue for myself and 2 children under the age of 10. We had a great vacation. I could write 100 good things about this resort. The property itself is fantastic both for families or couples with some areas designated as adults only.

The best things about this resort are the beach, elegant and spacious rooms, warm and enthusiastic hospitality, luxurious pools, and great dining. Whilst there seem to be corporate events and weddings going on, the resort did not feel crowded. Often my kids and I had the pool to ourselves. There often to seem to be more staff than guests. I was worried that the service would be overbearing. However, the service was attentive but discreet. They seemed to know when to leave us alone and did not hover. The Fairmont's golf cart and bike network to ferry people around the property works very well. I highly recommend El Puerto restaurant and the La Isla menu offered at the main pool area.

If you go to this resort, enroll in the Fairmont President's Club so that you can use the gym and wifi for free.

I really liked the other guests that we met on the trip. People were friendly. No one was glued to their iphones (despite all the trouble that was going on in Boston at the time). People were enjoying their families instead of disconnecting through their devices. All the children I saw were well behaved.

I would say two negative things. The first is that I did not enjoy La Laguna restaurant. While the waiters were friendly, it was very disorganized particularly around breakfast which was the only restaurant open at the time of year we visited. The food is good but the multiple waiter system was confusing and made me feel stressed. Also nearly every time I found mistakes on the bill. Secondly, despite reiterating that my son has peanut allergies, he was accidentally served a peanut sauce. When I questioned the sauce when served the satay, the waitress assured me that it was not peanut and then returned five minutes later to say that it was a peanut sauce and took it away. Instead the whole plate should have been replaced. If you have allergies and don't speak Spanish well, be aware.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nvrdemo
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We spent the last 6 days at the Fairmont Mayakoba and already miss it!
The property: beautifully landscaped, full of wildlife, views of the lagoons, ocean, several pool options ( our favorite was the infinity pool near the beach).
our room: We stayed in the 700 casitas , easy walk to pools -transportation is constant. Our room was beautiful! Birds can be noisy in the early morning, nothing some earplugs wouldn't take care of!
Service: anyone we met greeted us with a smile and went out of their way to help us. Pool service seemed a bit undermanned so we had to wait often if ordering drinks. The beachside pool had the best service. Housekeeping, transportation, restaurant staff, concierge, front desk....all were professional and friendly.
Amenities: spa is beautiful and impossible for you not to relax, plan on spending several hours there pampering yourself with relaxation. Bring your suit there is a rooftop pool! Bikes- there are bikes everywhere, take them for a spin to and from beach or to pools, restaurants. First come, first serve. Not to worry if you find there are no bikes available, the trams are always running back and forth. We took the lagoon tour early in the morning our first day there, highly recommend this tour and its free! Health club - clean, spacious and they offer a variety of classes. Join presidents club prior to visit and you get free wi-if in room.
Food: room service for breakfast - loved the "spa" breakfast. The Mexican steak sandwich is delicious for lunch. las Brisas is a great lunch spot, crab tostadas and ceviche were crazy good.
Overall a fabulous time on property, we hope to return.

Room Tip: Stay in 500/600/700
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2013

What a wonderful resort. The staff are exceptional and were there to cater to our every whim. The room was impeccable and kept that way by the cleaning staff. We loved Fairmont Myakoba. Thank you, to everyone who made this trip a wonderful memory for us to keep forever.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple