After a 4 night stay at the Fairmont Mayakoba, we returned with mixed emotions....a stunningly beautiful property with some wonderful staff members! The winding jungle drive to the reception area sets the stage for the tropical feel, the open air lobby, the welcoming cool washcloths and beverages equally so. The expectations are set pretty high after this awesome first impression!
Upon attempting to check in we were told the room was not ready, fair enough, we were a bit early, but it was mid week, so kind of surprising. We thought we'd have a nice leisurely lunch, take in the scenery while enjoying 5 Star Fare. About two hours later....room still not ready. Sat in lobby, were told "30 more minutes" .......and then told that again about 3 times! So, beware and be prepared to wait if you arrive early!!
Enter room; decor and size in keeping with the rest of the lovely five star property, but the smell! YUK! Very mildewy. We were told it would dissipate once we ran the air, and also told by the bell man we could request a change of rooms. Frankly, after traveling and waiting for hours (with kids), we were reluctant to wait any longer for a room change and potentially have the same issue. We thought, if we ran the air colder it would improve, housekeeping also sprayed air freshener to try and help the situation. This was a temporary fix to an issue throughout our stay.(dehumidifier was brought in to try and help too).
Other room issues: ants in the bathroom one night were awful. Yes, it was resolved by a staff member, but it was still unpleasant and disturbing for a 5 star property! Water level in toilet was not properly set, so we had housekeeping in 3 times before they adjusted it! Came home and even our dry cleaned clothes under plastic covers had that mildew smell, not quite the memory you want to take back.....
ATM was out of order all week too, which was quite an inconvenience since the Fairmont is so remotely located. Evidently the adjoining Mayakoba properties (Banyan Tree and Rosewood) no longer allowed Fairmont guests to use their ATM's, so we had to make ATM stops when out en route to excursions. Again, not 5 star calibre.
Pros: Pools-beautiful, restaurants-good, but not over the top "outstanding" for the amount spent. Restaurant wait staff-top notch, Cafe-not so much! The golf cart transport is really fun and convenient, with polite and helpful staff.
Cons: See above! And to the snippy Cafe staff: be careful what you say in Spanish, sometimes the guests "comprenden"!
Summary: We wanted to be able to rant and rave about the Fairmont, but after so many disappointing aspects to our stay it is difficult to do that. Property may be 5 Star, overall experience 2.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 45 acre Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, a AAA 5 Diamond Award property, boasts 401 rooms and suites, including a collection of beach and lagoon casitas, offering guests extraordinary views of the grounds. Guests at Fairmont Mayakoba can take advantage of several recreational activities on property including exploring nature trails on foot or BMW bikes, scenic boat tours on lanchas through crystal clear canals, sunbathing on the soft white-sand beach or at one of the property's several pools, non-motorized watersports (kayaks and catamarans), outdoor tennis and paddle courts, golfing on the renowned El Camaleon golf course (host to the only official PGA TOUR event in Mexico), lessons at the Jim McLean Golf School or being pampered with signature Mayan treatments at the luxurious Willow Stream Spa. Children and teens have a space just for them at the Discovery Club or at the Teens Room by Sony PlayStation(R). Fairmont Mayakoba's commitment to the environment has earned the resort several awards and accolades including a seal of verification by Rainforest Alliance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Fairmont Hotels and Jetsetter so you can book your Fairmont Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Fairmont
- Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico