“Just Perfect for a weekend retreat.”
Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

Fairmont Mayakoba
Ranked #11 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 5, 2012

If ever traveling to Rivera Maya I would say that this is probably one of the best choices when willing to spend a little above average. It is just perfect, the rooms are great we stayed at what they call Casita that is actually a small building with four separate rooms and four separate entrances. The room was very clean and everything on its place. Huge Bathroom with a independent WC, big Tub and separate shower. Two Sinks. We had a huge Terrace, I just which it had a day bed instead of just two chairs. Our room was directly above a canal with crystalline water we could see the fish from our terrace.

The service was very good. Just because the hotel property is huge sometimes they take too much time to arrive went you order anything. I would recommend staying at the casitas or if your budget permits stay on one of the beach casita and you would have your own pool.

Used the restaurant only for breakfast and the buffet was excellent lots of choices.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Casitas at the Canals
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rickylm044
Fairmont M, Director of Public Relations at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Rickylm044,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your most recent visit to the Riviera Maya. We were thrilled to read your detailed account of your accommodations in our Casita Rooms
and that you enjoyed the variety of our daily buffet breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Playa del Carmen!
Fairmont Mayakoba

Write a ReviewReviews (4,271)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

A friend was getting married here, so that's why we stayed. But what a great place for it! We really enjoyed the hotel and the grounds. We had a jungle view casita overlooking a canal. The room was large and comfortable, with a huge, luxurious bathroom. The staff was exceptionally helpful and polite. We overslept the morning of our departure.

The hotel transport was supposed to pick us up at the front desk at 4:00 am to take us to the airport, and we called the lobby the moment we woke up - at 4:14 - and asked them to tell the van we'd be there momentarily. We threw on our clothes, grabbed our bags & were out the door in about 4 minutes. There was a bellman already waiting outside our casita with a golfcart to take us to the lobby and the waiting van. They really scurried to get us on our way to the airport, only slightly late.

We were in the 200's, near the Laguna restaurant, large pool area, and the deli/store. The beach was about a mile down the path, nicely walkable, but there are also trams running constantly. And the walk to the lobby was also very manageable. We had an upper floor room with a nice view of the canal.

Join the Fairmont club before you go. It's free, and you get amenities like free access to the spa and gym, and free wifi in your room. The spa was wonderful. I had a great treatment while there, and there's a steam room, mineral pools, all the proper spa stuff.

Service was kind of slow in the restaurants, but everything I tried was very good, especially the Mexican cuisine.

Room Tip: Definitely spring for one of the casitas.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank kgs1958
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

“Quiet Jungle View Casita”
Dear kgs1958,
Gracias for sharing your experience with us at Fairmont Mayakoba and, thank you for your compliments to our staff and facilities, offering a personalized and warm service are in the core of our values. We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Riviera Maya, Mexico.

Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at numerous Fairmont Hotels, so it was natural for me when looking for the perfect venue to hold my wedding to consider a Fairmont Hotel. As I started the planning process, I knew the Fairmont Mayakoba would be the perfect place for my guests and I to enjoy. The service is 10 star worthy. The entire staff is warm, friendly, accommodating, and professional. I held three private functions and was pleased with how they all turned out. My guests loved the hotel and could not believe the level of service they received! I had my rehearsal at La Laguna, wedding reception at the Pool, and brunch at Las Brisas. I couldn't have been more pleased with how organized my on site wedding planner Lino Lopez was with my entire wedding. I didn't have to worry about anything! He was always 2 steps ahead of me! I would highly recommend the Fairmont for any brides looking for an unique destination wedding. Or for anyone looking for a very relaxing vacation. If I had to plan my wedding over again, I would choose the Mayakoba. Of course, any hotel you could find a few hiccups along the way, but I feel the few we had were due to low season, and they were minute. At El Puerto they could not handle a large group for dinner reservations so we had to be served at two different time slots, but the staff worked it out and it was fine. I would say at Las Brisas service can be slow, but as an American I think we are used to being rushed all the time and it really was just a case of different lifestyles. After all- you are there to relax!
The only chief complaint I had from my guests was they wished they had some music/and or games by the pools. I have to agree. If your looking for a party pool atmosphere this isn't the hotel for you. Other then this aspect, all my guests said they would return and it was one of the best weddings they have ever been too! Makes for one happy bride! :). Thank you Fairmont Mayakoba! We can't wait to return on our anniversary!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful three day vacation at the Fairmont Mayakoba. We were booked into a Deluxe Casita Room. The room was lovely--the decor was beautiful and the grounds were absolutely breathtaking. Being from Texas, we were both blown away with the jungle, mangroves, lagoon and beach. The staff is so friendly and helpful. Restaurants were all delicious with great staff as well. Only little problem was that our room was on a major cart pathway (no cars on the property just electric carts shuttling guests around the enormous property.) We asked to be moved and they gladly changed our room. This is a family friendly property and that was a bit of a problem in the restaurants since we did not bring children with us. However, we would definitely bring our kids and grandchildren here! The Willow Spa is one of the best spas we have ever been to--we both had massages and they were wonderful. Be sure and allow plenty of time to enjoy the spa facilities--many plunge pools and relaxation spaces.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to a room with both an ocean and jungle view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear TXFoodie75230,
Thank you for sharing your experience at Fairmont Mayakoba. We are glad to know you received the warm service that represents the Fairmont brand and the Mexican hospitality. We very much look forward to welcome you back with your family and grandchildren, as you noticed we have many family friendly activities.
Cordially,

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Best hotel for a nice and relaxed family vacations, amenities, accommodations and Landscape are breathtaking! Customer service is the best in the area and Mayakoba area is full of white sand beaches very harmonious with environment, nice running path from beach to hotel towers or that can be used with BMW bicycles. Pampering is their specialty and you'll feel a very special guest. Pool areas are great for the whole family and Kids club is very nice too. Definitely a must-go place for a joyous experience.

Room Tip: Casitas are amazing, and go for the river tour it is free to all hotel guests and you get to enjoy t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank alexnajera
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is an absolutely outstanding hotel in every respect. It is ecologically friendly. There is nothing negative to say at all...yes, its pricey...but your money buys the absolutely gorgeous grounds, fabulous food, beautiful pools. It is a family friendly place, but quiet. The service is impecable. The staff was completely interested in your well being and enjoyment. A great place to relax in a serene environment.

Room Tip: You need to really consult the hotel staff as to location advantages and disadvantages. They will be...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ejmmjm
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear ejmmjm,
It is lovely to read your impressions about the stretch of paradise we like to call Fairmont Mayakoba. Thank you for sharing your experience and comments about the facilities and service, it is nice to know that our ecology practices are recognized and applaud. Your review has been shared with our staff, as it is the feedback of guests such as you that continues to motivate us to provide the best experiences in Riviera Maya.
Warmly,

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Fairmont Mayakoba is an amazing place to vacation. My husband and I enjoyed five beautiful days and nights at this resort. From the moment we arrived the staff welcomed us with fruit punch and smiles. The staff at this resort is absolutely the best we have seen anywhere. The hotel front desk staff, concierge (Yuki, Israel, and the English guy) were so friendly. The staff that drive you around in golf carts greet you everyday and offer kind rides everywhere. They are there 24 hours. I didnt hesitate tipping them everytime they gave us a ride to the beach, or to the main pool. Our hotel room was close to the main lobby and spa so we basically needed a ride to the beach or La Laguna (main pool area) everyday. There are bikes also, but the carts are so wonderful and everyone is so friendly. The grounds are absolutely beautiful kind of like being in a huge jungle, make sure to take the boat tour that shows you around the entire property, its amazing. The restaurants are great, the food was good everytime, no complaints at all, and I am pretty picky. Las Brisas was the oceanfront restaurant that had amazing fish tacos and shrimp cocktail. La Laguna was nice for breakfast. The drinks were always good, try the Tamarindo Margaritas, they were so spectacular that when we returned home, i actually bought the fresh tamarinds and made them myself, great drink with tequila and Grand Marnier, yummy. The room was always made up nicely with flowers left on the bed, the bathroom and shower was huge and perfect, all lit up with natural sunlight. The housekeeper for our room always paid close attention to re-filling everything and making up our room and turning down our bed each night, she was the best. Also, one very important thing, the beds and pillows are the best ever, i dont think i have slept that comfortably in years, soft sheets, warm covers, perfect. The Maritur tour department was very helpful, we booked a day in Chichen Itza that was well worth it. The buffet they take you to during the excursion was fun and a happy place to be. The cenote was also very interesting. We also took one night only to go to XCaret, the night entertainment was well worth the $59 each, but the taxi ride there costed $34 one way. If you are able to and want to book a car, that is definitely the way to go. There is only one main road, its the highway, and you wont get lost unless you have no sense of direction, taxis are expensive, $23 each way to go to Playa del Carmen, and we went three nights for dinner. El Puerto restaurant was also very nice and has a great view and outdoor seating. The beachfront is breaktaking and there are always chairs, if not, you can ask and they will bring them to you with a great attitude. The pools are amazing, esp the infinity pool. We will definitely be coming back to the resort in the future, maybe for our next anniversary.

Room Tip: choose an upstairs room to have a water view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple