“Fair.....Fairmont”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Fair.....Fairmont”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We chose this hotel due to the Five Diamond rating, it was average. If you are looking for luxury you may want to explore other options. Here's why and yes it is long..........

Arrival: Very nice arrival experience, what I would expect at a luxury property.

Rooms: We were upgraded 2 categories upon check in to a casita room and told we would love it. Simply put, it had to be the worst room on property. 1st floor, dark and smelled horrific of bug spray and dampness. If we were not on a prepaid package we would have checked out immediately rather than spend 7 nights in this room. It took 2 hours to get moved to another casita room on the 2nd floor which was much brighter, better view, and more central. This room was not without its faults, it is mostly attention to detail and lack of preventative maintanence. No cushions on the patio furniture, no pad on the ironing board so we used a towel, terrible smell from the bathtub drain, no AC in the bathroom, shower head leaked continuosly after you finished, no stocked minibar (DIY minibar is cutting corners), no ipod, iphone, ipad hookups on the very dated Bose Wave radio. The resort directories in the room are in terrible shape. The bed was super comfy and we slept really well the entire 7 nights, so that was a big plus. Housekeeping did a great job everyday and was timely in making up the room. Key card deactivated several times during the stay so hiking back to the front desk was no fun after a day at the beach.

Restaurants: We ate at every outlet on property. The food was "good" everywhere, except the lobby lounge.

Las Brisas was good food, good service, poor entertainment, meal was a bit rushed, dessert menu is presented in the lobby lounge menu folder, details matter in such a highly rated restaurant.

Cafe Maya was good for a quick bite and where you buy items just as expensive as they would have been if they put them in your minibar.

La Laguna was good for breakfast and casual dinners. Food was good. Availability of wine was poor, each time we chose a bottle, they were out. It turned out to be funny because the staff was very good natured and just brought us a few bottles to choose from what they actually had in stock. By the way, try the mexican wine, it is good and much better priced than the low end wine imported from the US.

El Puerto, food was good, we were able to get the wine here we could not get in La Laguna. Service needs an overhaul in this place. The manager does the staffs job, every entree brought out is served to the wrong person at every table, we were even served someone elses dinner. The food is covered by silver domes and brought out on a gueridon that makes so much noise it is disturbing. I cannot figure out why they think they are a french restaurant.

Lobby Lounge, the absolute most dissapointing place on property. Don't order cocktails because the ice dilutes it so fast you may as well have an iced tea. Stick with wine or beer here. The food is deplorable (with the exception of the guacamole) and we sent it all back but the manager would only take of 1 roll off the bill beacuse we did try to eat some. She would not even come to our table to address it. The sushi is paper thin and the rice is 2x the amount you would normally get. The nigiri and the rolls were just not good at all and the calamari was so stringy it was not edible. Also, we wanted to sit on the patio several times but they always said it was going to rain so they were not seating out there. It rained once during our entire 7 day stay. Not accomodating at all.

Recreation: The beach is the best part. While walking into the water, it is rocky so be careful but far better than the other resorts around. Despite the resort being fairly full, we were able to have a palapa each of the 4 days we went. Be there by 11am to get one. Service the first day was no good but the 3 days after, they were great! The exhaust from the jet skis that lurk out in the water is not very pleasant.
The pool area looked very nice for families. The adult pool was a dissapointing experience, hence we spent all of our time at the beach. This pool is severly overlooked by management in every way.

Transportation: The house cars are very nice Escalades and they will take you to the other resorts for dining (definitely go to Saffron at Banyan Tree, the highlight of our trip). The golf carts transport around property are in very good shape and the drivers are very courteous. However, if you are dressed up to go to dinner be careful because the seats are quite often wet, dirty and sandy and they don't carry towels on the carts. For the bikes, we were there 7 days and not once could we get bikes when we looked for them every single day. People hide them.

Check Out: I decided to try and address the issue with the lobby lounge again at check out but the front desk agent wanted to know why I didn't take it up with the lounge and she could not do anything about it. I asked, but there was no manager on duty at 9am on what seemed to be a heavy check out day, so she charged me for the full thing and that was that because she was not allowed to make adjustments. Par for the course, because I saw very little management around property our entire stay. Never once during our entire stay were we asked how our stay was and there was no follow up after the dissatisfaction with our initial room.

Overall: Recommended for families or spend the money and get a beach villa. Unfortunately, they were fully booked or we would have paid to upgrade. Another good thing is the staff actually work for gratuities here so you probably do get better service than the all inclusive places.

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor casita rooms, ask for 2nd floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank FFKKinNYC
Fairmont M, Director of Public Relations at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
boomeranglv,
We were disappointed to read that we were unable to meet your expectations during your visit as we strive to make every guest's stay a memorable one. Your feedback has been shared with all of our colleagues in an effort to identify areas of improvement in our service standards.
We hope that you will consider us on your return visit to the Riviera Maya.
Paulina Feltrin
Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I loved this hotel. The property is amazing! Room, Pool, Beach, Service and Food are amazing!! We stayed in a casita and I really recommend it.
It is great for families and couples since it has a separate pool for adults. Overall the hotel is very quiet, which is exactly what we were looking for.
We ate in all restaurants and the food is also incredible with good variety.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Prag2011
MI
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travelled to Fairmont Mayakoba in March of 2012 with my husband and my 3 year old daughter. This hotel is beautiful, clean and relaxing. The service at this hotel is exceptional. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The great thing about this hotel is that if you have any concerns or issues at all, the staff will do all that they can to make you happy and your stay satisfactory.
The food and service at all the restaurants are amazing. There are many pools with different options. My daughter loved to go from spending time at the ocean to taking a ride to the pool area and spending time at the pool. She had as amazing time as my husband and I did.
I strongly recommend the boat ride. We saw all kinds of wild animals and birds during the bout ride.
I can’t say enough aboat this hotel and I cannot wait to go back. We had such a quiet and relaxing stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank fffmi
Fairmont M, Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
fffmi,
Thank you for choosing our resort as your destination for a family getaway and for sharing your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Riviera Maya!
Sven-Erik Richter
Hotel Manager
Orange Park
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was here for 3 nights for a business trip in mid-August. Wish I could have stayed longer!Was greeted upon arrival with a chill towel and a fruit punch drink. Checked in and then was escorted to my room by a waiting bellman. I had a beautiful suite in the 200 section. I was steps away from the mail pool and La Laguna. I took the carts or biked to the beach. Short walk from the lobby. Room was great - 2 full bathrooms. Very large bedrooms. Shower was all glass so it felt like you were outdoors. Huge balcony, nice for entertaining. Views of the canal. The last night there the hotel was at capacity, but I never felt that way! Pools were not busy, chairs on the beach were easy to get, no wait for resteraunts even without reservations. The staff were all so friendly, every time I was walking somewhere, the golf cart drivers would always stop to see if I needed a lift! First day we ate lunch at La Laguna, and I had the quesidllas - they were so good, went back the last day and ordered again! Did room service for breakfast, would call in the morning and it would be there in 30 to 35 mins as promised. Ate last dinner at El Puerto - fantastic - the whole meal from apps to dessert, and including the service! The hotel is very large and spread out, but I like that. It felt very private. TIP - make sure to join the Fairmonts Presidents club - on your first (and all) visits to their hotels it includes free wifi and free access to the gym. Would be a GREAT savings if staying for a week and use both daily!

Room Tip: Makes sure to do hotel's boat tour! Great ride and lots of information!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank midoririta
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I went for my daughter's wedding and never expected such a beautiful resort. The grounds and rooms are lovely, the staff incredibly friendly and helpful and yes the food is expensive but absolutely delicious. I enjoyed every minute there - the beach, the pools, the restaurants, the service, the gardens, the canals with crystal clear water, the cleanliness, everything. My child's wedding was lovely - her planner was more than helpful and my daughter was so pleased with all the attention she received from her. It is hot and there are mosquitoes but they even supply insect repellent! I can't wait to go back and spend another week there. Thank you for the wonderful week.

Room Tip: I always ask for second floor and got that - no noise at all.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank noutlopez
boston
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The resort is breathtaking and the rooms divine, but I have never in the hundreds of hotels I have stayed in had such difficulty finding quiet. Our bottom floor room in the 500s was SO LOUD between cleaners next door, the guests above, maintenance banging out carpets or compacting landscaping material, the electric carts zooming past our balcony, tractor sounds and beeping echoing off the water from work across the canals of landscape work. No matter how friendly the staff it was concerning that we had to go to the pool or beach for quiet so that we could nap. ONLY get a top floor room!
Short and Sweet:
Hotel offers private round trip airport transfer up to 7-8 people for $210 round trip. We booked a private van through Best Transfers for $105 round trip. Clean, on time, friendly.
Sign up for the Presidents Club before you go so that you can get free internet and access to the fitness center. There are free classes in the summer and other classes for only $10 (vinyasa yoga, tai chi, fitball, step, sculpt, etc) with last class offered Sun before Labor Day.
Coffee in lobby ENDS at 7am, not begins (oops)
Bring comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk a lot. It's more than 10 min from 500s to beach/infinity pool and 5 to other pool/adult infinity pool by canal and 5 min to lobby. The electric carts do not run frequently. Start walking and if one passes they stop to ask if you'd like to jump on.
Bikes are only available in the summer and are put away the friday before Labor Day.
Bored? Raining? Late at night? It's a golf resort so...take a complimentary shuttle next door to Rosewood and enjoy the tequilla bar with light snacks, inside AC but all glass wall rec areas with ping pong, pool tables, TV center with karaoke and chess/checkers. We were by ourselves and had a blast after 9pm when it was pouring.
If you can bear waking up early (or never went to bed) go to the beach for an AMAZING sunrise from the comfort of the lounge chairs and thatched umbrellas. People cleaning the beach just after sunrise are super nice and will take your picture so you can have that couple silhouette holding hands against the sunrise picture.
El Puerto was closed for all four days of our stay.
La Laguna forgot to bring us our chips/salsa/guacamole until after our entrees, our quesadillas were soggy, my rye bread stale and frozen french fries bla. They forgot to give me the tofu with the roasted vegetable and tofu sandwich. When the waiter went back the cook said there was no such thing on the menu-until the waiter pointed to it to show him. The restaurant was empty when we dinned so this was on full display- we decided to follow the que and never eat there again. We did, however, nick name it the Stale and Soggy and contemplated how much better Chili's would have been without the $70USD lunch price tag.
This only left us Las Brisas- delightful!
We ate there both nights and enjoyed the Tuna/Red Snapper then Duck Breast/Salmon. All cooked to chefs liking and all perfect. Both nights we were one of three tables dining stealing the beautiful full moon over the ocean for mostly ourselves. Mojitos are the best I've ever experienced and the chocolate souffle- oh the chocolate souffle! We shared an appetizer, had tuna and red snapper, shared the souffle and had a drink and two bottles of perrier all for only $100USD. We laughed even more at how much more you get for $30 compared to the Stale and Soggy.
If you like a 20 minute walk before and after breakfast (10 to beach/10 down the beach), go to the buffet at Grand Vellas restaurant on the beach named Azul. Big, bright, beautiful, amazing variety of fresh food for less than $50USD/couple, I think it ends at 11am.
Wear bug spray if enjoying adult pool by La Laguna and the canal- we both have at least a dozen bites. Loved watching birds and snakes and fish and turtles so no regrets- just wish we had some Deet.
In the morning grab bottled water from the jogging stations by cart waiting stations- in the cafe the alcohol is almost cheaper than the large bottles of water (bottle of Bacardi $12 vs $8 bottle water).
The long of it- While beautiful and friendly it would be unlikely worth it for us to return.
We still give this resort three stars as it was incredibly beautiful and the friendliest staff. But our room was SO LOUD between cleaners next door, the guests above, maintenance banging out carpets or compacting landscaping material, the electric carts zooming past our lower balcony, tractor sounds and beeping echoing off the water from work across the canals of landscape work.
We arrived Friday Aug 31 for our Honeymoon just after noon time. The hotel offered airport transfer for up to 8 people for $210USD but as it was just my husband and I so we booked though Best Transfers for a private van for $105USD round trip. Timely, clean and the AC was fully cranked and refreshing when we got into the van. It was a 35 minute ride to the hotel.
Upon check in we were told that our room would be ready by 1:30 and to go have lunch at Las Brisas or La Laguna. El Puerto would be closed for our entire four day stay. The nice young man instructed us to have someone at the restaurant call to confirm that our luggage is delivered and to have someone bring us our room key at 1:30. We were not hungry yet so walked around a bit at settled at Las Brisas to have some iced tea. We were not allowed to sit in the front to overlook the ocean as we were told the restaurant was not open but were directed to a pool side with a large, abandoned bar to look at. The resort was eerily void of guests so we sat and watched what looked like management staff go through the abandoned area along with a gentleman with a chef hat and later watched two men vigorously cleaning. Not the romantic beginning we had thought but not to worry as we would be in our room soon to change and hit the beach. At 1:30 we asked our server to call. After 6 or 7 minutes we sought out another staff member and asked if he knew about our calling to get our room key and he left to inquire. At 1:45 we asked our third staff member if we could pay for our drinks and if he could call for the room key. He returned with our charged credit card to which my menu listed $4 USD iced tea I was charged 90 pesos for($7USD) and with no news of our room. Tired from being awake for 12 hours, sweating in our non-beach clothes I did not want to question- I wanted my room. By the way, the metal in the bar area was clean and shining by this time.
With our three attempts to ask someone to call to check on our room failed, we walked back to the lobby to inquire around 2pm. We were told that the previous guests had not checked out yet and that our room would be ready by 3pm. With our only food option La Laguna we made our way over to kill some more time and escape the heat. I had read about the many dietary styles the menus accommodated and was excited for my first bite. By now we were hungry and ordered chips and salsa with guacamole right away along with mojitos. The drinks came and were delicious and we noticed we were the only people In the restaurant. We ordered a quesadilla and I showed the waiter closer to the front of the menu the roasted vegetable sandwich with tofu I wanted to try. We waited a bit and almost finished our drinks and were served our food – we reminded out waiter about our chips we had hoped to have with our drinks and he returned. The chips were stale and made us long for Chili’s- even more disappointing was the $9USD price tag. The rye of my bread was stale and my French fries of the normal frozen variety (I learned later I could have had a salad- wish I knew) and as I explored further there was…dun, dun, dun! No Tofu! I walked up to the waiter by the hostess stand and I asked if I could have my some tofu with my sandwich. He was very apologetic and returned to the cook. Our next staff entertainment opportunity was watching the cook argue that it was not on the menu and the waiter storming back to get a menu and point where I had pointed to- a little back and forth- and then appeared two freshly cooked slices of unseasoned tofu. We realized we were stuck here, and only for a couple days, so instead of taking my espadrilles and walking back to the airport if I had to, we just decided to laugh. But after a soggy quesadilla, appetizer served after our meal, stale rye bread, frozen French fries, a cook not aware of his menu all to the tune of $70USD we realized why La Laguna was empty and decided to follow this queue for the duration of our stay. It was after 3pm and our waiter was able to confirm that our room was ready and we were meet by Mario to escort us. Mario was pleasant, upbeat, very knowledgeable and ready to answer all of my questions about where we could find other food, how far we were from Playa del Carmen and how to use my Presidents Club membership to get online and to use the gym. We were tired and wanted to nap before seeing more and it was Mario’s hospitality that made us feel as if our vacation had begun.
And then the noise began.
We could hear banging and furniture dragging and sometime after 4 I went outside to see what was going on. Two maids had the door open to the bottom room adjacent to us and were scrubbing the landing. I greeted them and asked if they were doing more than cleaning-perhaps construction- but they did not speak English and sadly I still need to purchase Rosetta Stone. I went back and put on music to try to drown out the banging from the side and above. At 5:20 I called the front desk to ask at what time rooms will no longer be serviced and he told me it ends at 5pm. I said that there was quite a bit of noise coming from above and he said that he would have security check on it and call us back. We never received a call. We did however receive a beautiful bottle of sparkling wine to congratulate us on our marriage and made it difficult to fuss too much. With the area beginning to quiet, we fell into a blissful slumber- only to be woken by a knock on the door as maintenance needed to replace a light around 7:30.
Our first impression- not the best.
Now- after some sleep (interrupted again but the family above we named The Elephant Shoes) we were up just before dawn and had been told by Mario that the sun rises over the ocean- What A Sunrise! Sitting on the lawn chairs on the beach alone and the sky setting itself ablaze was breathtaking and still gives me goosebumps.
The property is stunning and sprawling- Bring comfortable walking shoes! We had read reviews to said to just start walking and the carts will pick you up along the way. More than half of the time we got to our destination without any cart going by. There were bicycles but difficult to come by and after Saturday they were all put away for the summer. From the 500 rooms it takes a little over 10 minutes to walk to the beach.
Soggy and Stale (our name for La Laguna) was the breakfast option so we instead decided to walk on the beach and visit Banyan Tree next door as it listed a breakfast in our room literature (and Saffron was recommended in lieu of our El Puerto being closed). We were intrigued to see this resort was empty as well. We introduced ourselves as Fairmont guests and inquired about the breakfast only to be told it is by reservation only. We thanked the man as asked which way to the lobby so that we could make a reservation for tomorrow and we were sent away and told we needed to do this at our own hotel. We asked if we could visit Oriente to see if it is something we were interested in returning for breakfast tomorrow and we were told that that was not possible. Add Banyan Tree to the Soggy and Stale.
We kept walking south and stumbled upon the Grand Vellas Riveria Maya and it’s restaurant Azul. AMAZING!!! AMAZING!! AMAZIG!!! We were greeted warmly, welcomed despite not staying at their resort and shown amazing attentiveness and hospitality. The variety was delightful with my husband enjoying the pastries, French toast, omelets to order and fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and I exploring the fresh prickly pears and guava, yuka, along with green juice made of cactus leaves, orange, pineapple, parsley and celery and amazing egg creations I cannot remember the names of. We chatted with staff and explored the resort and were invited to view their closed restaurants and to look at menus t see what we may like if we were to return later. Their pool was also amazing and their beach front larger with calmer snorkeling areas along with volleyball and soccer. We observed the most people on our entire vacation at this resort and yet it was not even close to busy or crowded.
Our stay was pleasant and the staff so friendly- but when we got home we looked more into the Gran Vellas for our next visit.

Room Tip: DO NOT GET A BOTTOM FLOOR ROOM! Everything from cleaners to other guests echo from above.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mandy h
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
mandy h,
Thank you for providing such a detailed review of your recent visit to our resort. We were truly disappointed to learn that your experience was less than favorable. Rest assured that all your comments have been shared with our team and that measures will be taken to refresh all colleagues on our standards of service.
Paulina Feltrin
Public Relations Director
Campinas, SP
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

The place and surrounding are beautiful, you will be awed by the breakfast at lalaguna , huge variety for every taste, it is funny to watch people making sure this is the meAl of the day! There is just so much to eat and quite tasty too. The beach is narrow due to Wilma hurricane, but you can still put up a volleyball net, it is long and great for a stroll, and of course secluded from street vendors. The rooms are quite nice, with lovely views and spacious bathrooms. We just went again for a few days last week and willingly left another small fortune there.

• Stayed October 2011