“Wonderful Family Vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Connecticut
“Wonderful Family Vacation”
Reviewed January 6, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at the Fairmont. We are a family with a toddler, preteen and a teen and first time Mexico tourists. The property is gorgeous, service wonderful, food very good. We loved the beach, and although staying at the main building we were about 10 minutes away (which does take away a certain magic of staying "right on the beach"), the kids loved taking the golf carts (there were always plenty around). The pools are great as well. We chatted with quite a few other families staying there, as well as some people we happen to know who stayed there a few months before, and everyone was unanimous in their raves. This is a great hotel. Do note that it is somewhat isolated, so if you don't rent a car you need to arrange all excursions or take cabs, literally nothing is within walking distance.

We had a few day trips. We did an Edventure tour of Tulum, cenotes and snorkeling with the turtles, which was a wonderful day.

We also used Brant at Entertainment Plus to arrange for a car and driver to take us to Chichen Itza, Ik Kil and Ek Balam (the latter) was the kids' favorite ruin. The driver was prompt and pleasant but NOT English speaking as advertised and promised. But it was a wonderful (and educational) trip.

This was a wonderful family vacation.

• Liked — The grounds, the service., the location, the beach.
  • Disliked — Everything was wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Hawaiiherewecome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2008

We stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba Resort with our 18 and 21 year old kids for 15 nights during the Christmas and New Year holidays. It was absolutely amazing. At first I was a bit worried due to some of the previous reviews on this site, but it was nothing like they had experienced.
We had a fantastic time. The staff was top notch! Especially Laita, in the lobby bar, and Omar down at the adult pool. The concierge staff was also very helpful with reservation requests to restaurants in Playa.
We had a casita one-bedroom suite with a separate living area where both the kids stayed (one on a pull out and one on a cot. This also provided us with two bathrooms which was perfect. The bathrooms are HUGE and must been seen to be believed.
After our son left we downsized to a one room deluxe casita with two queen beds and one washroom. This room was also amazing, although much smaller than our suite. The housekeeping staff is great and they kept the rooms perfectly clean with nightly turn down service and clean linens as needed.
The resort area is very, very large and the bikes and golf carts are always readily available.
We spent most of the first week camped out on lounges by the pool near the beach but then moved to the adult only infinity pool in the middle of the resort as more and more family showed up with small children. The adult only pool was a quiet paridise away from the noise of the children. When we arrived on Dec 18th, the resort was very quiet, but as Christmas came the small children also arrived. The nice thing is that there is always a place to go to find quiet as the resort is so enormous.
We rented a car for the entire time from National, which gave us freedom to come and go as we pleased. The restaurants at the resort are great and the food suberb, although eating at 3 places for 15 days gets a bit boring so we ventured into Playa at least every second night. Our favourite restaurants in Playa are Da Vino and the Glass Bar. Located directly across from one another and both owned by the same person. Both are Italian gourmet.
We also enjoyed our days at Xcaret and Xel-Ha. My suggestion would be to do Xcaret if you only have time for one as it is more culturally specific and the nightly two hour show is spectacular.
Xel-Ha is only for snorkelling and would be great for smaller children.
It was an amzing resort with amazing staff!!

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank utleyuu
california
Reviewed January 3, 2008

The Fairmont Mayakoba was a magical, wonderful, elegant discovery! From the moment you pull up to the beautiful entrance, every detail of this hotel has been thought through - its just breathtaking. The fact that it was 'carved' out of the existing mangrove habitat to create these serene lagoons is sublime, and has the added benefit of having become an incredible bird sanctuary - we saw many species of water birds happily sunning themselves everywhere we looked!
The staff were the most friendly, open, accomodating people we encountered anywhere. It was just a very calm and relaxing place. We had a great time riding bikes around the grounds (a few minute ride down to the beach), then taking an electric boat back up to our room through the mangrove lagoons.
dg

• Stayed December 2007
7 Thank designguru
New York, NY
Reviewed December 27, 2007

We had a fantastic experience at the Fairmont Mayakoba. We stayed in a beachfront casita, with an incredible view of the ocean and first class amenitites all around. The staff could not have been nicer, they really went out of their way to do anything they could to make our experience special (especially our butler, Mauricio).

The property itself is truly wonderful, they really went out of the way to preserve the natural beauty of the area. We dined in each of the restaurants, and we can say that each was top notch. (we liked them better than even the nicest restaurants in Playa Del Carmen).

My girlfriend loved the Willow Stream Spa, she recommends the Cha Cha rain ritual and the sunbather's rescue (after too much fun in the sun). Overall it is an incredible place to stay, and we would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Service and quality
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank beachandski5
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 17, 2007

As with all Fairmonts, the staff was superb. The training for everyone from gardeners to waiters is amazing.

The hotel is carved out of the jungle, with most of the jungle intact. The bird watching is the best I have ever seen. It is truly a beautiful place.

The restaurants may be the best I have found in any hotel. The food was great.

The layout is a little challenging. Most of the rooms are convenient to one of the many pools, which are great, but everything is quite a distance from the beach. There are golf carts that will take you anywhere, but they can be hard to find during the busy times.

The rooms are huge, the baths have to be seen. Huge terrariums that allow natural light into them.

I have two issues with this resort.

The front desk has a few communication problems. I left four messages for members of our party to inform them where to meet the first night for dinner, none were delivered. Also, our luggage took two and a half hours to make it to our room. The front desk insisted it was in our closet. It was not.

Otherwise, this is a great resort with an amazing staff.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Having to dodge the golf carts when walking.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank sjmacdee
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed December 4, 2007

I played at Mayakoba one day last week. Great course, but expensive - $250. However, the staff leaves much to be desired, and I will never return due to the following incident:

I called on Monday to make a tee time for Monday afternoon. I found out later in the week that they charged me for an additional round claiming that I made a reservation that I did not keep. When I called to dispute the charge, the clerk (Ivete) told me that she had "proof" that I made the reservation because it was "in the system". How did it get in the system? She put it there! (I only spoke to the shop on the phone, and had no way to enter it myself) Ivete lied to my face and told me that she remembered me asking for both tee times. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told that he was "in a meeting".

I have contacted Visa to dispute this, but I am not going to hold my breath, as I was told that foreign charges are harder to dispute. I was told by someone else that in Mexico, staff is held responsible for reversed charges, so I am sure that they will do everything they can to keep from paying out of pocket.

They hold the reservations using a credit card, so beware that even if you play, they may charge you for as much as they want! Stay away!

It's a shame, too, because the course was challenging and scenic. But I can barely justify $250 for a round, let alone double that!

Stayed November 2007
6 Thank flyerfan1
Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2007

Beautiful resort. One of the nicest resorts we have ever been to. The only issue there were very few things for our children to do. We didn't have the best weather which didn't help. Mostly adualts at the resort. Some families with little children. Staff was terrific. Beach was very nice.

I would not advise renting a car from Europcar. We did and it was a mistake. I received a very hard sale from a Europcar representative for a condo visit. I finally said we might do it just so we could get out of there. As we are driving down the highway I noticed as my wife the Jeep is in poor condition. Bottom line we did not feel safe in this Jeep. It was several years old and more fit for traveling through a jungle than for tourist. I drove back into Cancun the next moring and replaced the Jeep with a car. The whole experience with Europcar was very bad.

We did have a good family vaction though.

• Liked — Everything was Beautiful
  • Disliked — Nothing for teenage children to do
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family