“Stay away!! The owners are unwelcoming at best”

Hotel Casa de las Flores Playa del Carmen
Ranked #14 of 168 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Stay away!! The owners are unwelcoming at best”
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I took a group of high school students in mid-June and have never been treated so poorly in 15 years of directing student study tours.

There was rarely anyone in the reception. The pool is tiny. My students were hassled by the owner's wife for being in the pool too much.

As mentioned in other posts, there is no drinking water or glasses furnished. There are no bath mats either. One of my students was charged $15 for a dirty towel. There was supposed to be a continental breakfast- it only came out when other guests arrived at the hotel.

As we were leaving the female owner told my students that "no Americans will ever stay here again." I would highly recommend that.

I travel yearly to Central and South America and know what to expect-You should choose anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alexander J, Manager at Hotel Casa de las Flores Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly thankful for choosing our Hotel Casa de las Flores in Playa del Carmen. With regret we read that you did not get the attention you and your group of students deserved. You might be interested in knowing that the ownership of the hotel changed in 2013.Since our new team took over we are working every day as hard as possible to create an unforgettable vacation experience for all our guests.

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again and improve your perception about our hotel.

Kind regards,
Casa de las Flores Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Paris, France
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Casa de Las Flores is a very nice hotel to stay in Playa. There are a few rooms in a quiet ambiance. You'll be 4 blocks from the main street (to the east), and a few streets from the "good" part of the 5th avenue (the part with less tourist's boutiques but more bars+restaurants), so you will not be really in the inside downtown => you'll have to walk a little bit, but you'll be really quiet, wich is really high advantage in Playa.
Avoid room 13 : the air conditionning is very noisy, and if you switch it off, you will still hear the AC of the room 1, just below !! We have changed the second day of our trip for an other room, without balcony but much more nice (new AC, room renovated).
The swimming pool is nice and clean. You'll have price for a beach club (about 1km), the mamita's (30 pesos/day).
++ best ratio price/quality
++ quiet
++ clean
++ nice italian management

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank xav75017
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Although Casa de las Flores is a beautiful, hacienda-style accomodation, I was sadly disappointed that I paid $75 a night for a room that had one postage sized 'bath' towel--no hand towel, no washcloth, one tiny bar of soap, no shampoo or conditioner, NO DRINKING GLASSES! No joke! I had to buy one at a store to take my daily medication.

The woman running the establishment is sassy indeed. I'm not sure if she dislikes Americans in general, but I found her condescending and really unhelpful. I was travelling with my sister who is older, and upon checkout I asked if she could call a cab as my sister had trouble carrying her bags. She refused and told us to walk to the end of the block and hail a taxi ourselves. I was highly offended. And all this for $75.00 a night.

What is most ironic is I'd been to Casa de las Flores in 2004 and had a similar experience. I decided to return because it was familiar and hoped the experience would be a better one. I won't be returning.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank Patrice A
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed January 3, 2006

My wife and I found this little place about 5 minutes from the beach. Beatriz, the owner, and Paula, the manager, are delightful people. The photos don't do it justice. I think it's grown to 24 or 28 rooms now. We stayed in #11 (king size bed!)on the ground floor and in the new addition. In fact, we may have been the first people to stay in the room. We stayed at Christmas, so the rates were higher than they ususally are. But they were still a bargain for a boutique hotel of this quality. I highly recommend it because it's small, personal, and away from the noise and hustle and bustle of 5th Avenue. We will be going back!

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank rosweed
Ajijic, Mexico
Reviewed January 3, 2006

I had the pleasure of staying at Casa Flores in Ajijic on two occasions in Nov and Dec 2005. There are only 5 rooms, all distinctive. The first time we were in Room 3, very spacious with a garden sitting area outside the room. The second visit was in Room 4, upstairs with a commanding view of the mountains. Casa Flores is only 3 blocks from the square and the same distance from a half dozen good restaurants. The breakfasts were very good as well. There is a pool as well. The rates are reasonable at between $50 and $65 per night for two people. Jean and Walt Smith are very accomodative. Their website is www.casafloresmexico.com

7 Thank tomgyakima
Reviewed April 19, 2005

If you are searching for something tranquil, charming, original, spotlessly clean and friendly without the formality, commercialism and the americanism of 4/5 star hotels this is the place for you.
Take a look at their website, their photos speak for themselves.
Would without doubt stay again. Lovely place.

Playa.....unfortunately has lost its charm of recent years...its fastly becoming a mini Cancun an American burger and chips kind of place if you get my meaning....sadly thats progress and commercialism for you....but still an enjoyable holiday if based there and you are prepared to move to find the real beauty and charm of Mexico and its people.

• Stayed April 2005
13 Thank Dora7
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2005

Stumbled across this beautiful, family-run hotel after deciding to check-out of yet another over-rated, over-priced hotel on the Lonely Planet circuit.

Feel in love with the place on sight - so decided to stay for a fortnight whilst I studied Spanish at a nearby school. Bucket loads of character - truly beautiful, spotlessly clean, amazingly friendly staff - including the super-sassy owner / manager (Beatrice). And it's CHEAP!! I paid only US$25 per night for a very comfortable basic room for 10 days - with a great view over the pool and courtyard. Whadda bargain!!

The place is tucked away in the authentically Mexican part of town - which adds to the charm - just around the corner from the sorry precession of tired old-haunts recommended in the little green tourist bible (for which I am increasingly loosing respect for). It's a few blocks back from the beach, and thankfully a million miles from the tourist pack that descends on Avenida Qunita.

If I were heading back to Playa any time soon, I'd be keeping this one all to myself. But I'm not. So I feel it's only fair to share. And plus, I owe Beatrice the favour of a strong recommendation. She looked after me like I can't begin to explain. It's her hotel. And it shows. (Did I mention the night she brought in the local 12 piece Mariachi band and kept us all well lubricated with Tequila around the pool). POSITIVELY BRILLIANT!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member