“Great stay!”

Ranked #140 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great stay!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband and i rented a private condo at Villas Sacbe. We had a blast! It was one block from the beach, surrounded by tons of restaurants and bars. The grounds were gorgeous. Mega grocery store is approximately a 10 minute walk. The noise at night did not bother us at all. Didn't need ear plugs or white-noise machine. We will definitely be returning.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ms_dulce

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Mexicali, Mexico
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We just stayed there last week , we stayed in room 103 they have the name is sacbe or something like that, the location is the real value of it cause you are just one block from the 5th avenue in playa del carmen and one block to the beach. The food is ok, the breakfast its include its just good. The only thing I don't like it is the service and the beds , the service is poor and the beds are not comfortably at all. The noise it wasn't a problem in our room cause it was in the first floor.

• Stayed September 2013
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We began our adventure to Sacbe with some reservation after reading a few posts from other Trip Advisor peeps. I was skeptical. But with the realization that I was getting out of my regular routine to chill in Playa for a few days helped me in my commitment to our Sacbe reservation. No Sacbe is not the Four Seasons but you are in Mexico.
The Pros:
Sacbe is in the middle of your Mexican condo hotels. I am a sheet snob so I brought my own sheets just incase the sheets were a polyester blend. It turns out they are cotton and would suffice for the duration of our stay. The staff is friendly they have 24/7 front desk to help with any of your needs. Your room comes equipped with bottled water incase you are fearful of the water in Mexico. Aesthetically, the garden and pool are beautiful and help to remind you that you are on vacation.
I like how close Sacbe is to 5th Avenue and the beach. I love walking on the brick roads to grab coffee or breakfast and people watching.
The gym that you are able to use while staying at Sacbe is pretty impressive. I mean super points are given because of this gym. I would even say it rivals my gym at home if you lean to Cross Fit routine or free wights. They have about 10 stationary bikes, a full kettlebell set a few Hammer Strength machines and some other machines that looked pretty sic but I was not familiar with them. They even have group exercise classes. Its really is a nice gym.
You have free Wi-Fi.
The Cons:
The the Mexicans love a faux interior paint job, bathtubs in the middle of your room and dim lighting. The lighting in the bathroom sucked so putting on makeup might be a challenge. I took my tiny compact mirror and sat outside on the patio use the natural night for some makeup application. Usually, I would not even bring makeup and it would not be an issue but we came down for a wedding. You can do what I did or even walk to the MAC store on 5th and have one of their makeup artists do an application for you.
The ceiling in the shower area of the bathroom was leaking water so we tried not to use that light because we were worried it might cause more of a problem. The water dispenser for the bottled water started to leak on our first night in and we could not get it to stop without pulling the entire 5 gallon bottle off of the dispenser. We told the front desk about both issues the next morning and the water dispenser was fixed but the leaky ceiling was not taken care of. It seemed the more we used the shower the more it leaked so we kept showering to a minimum.
The safe in the room did not lock when we followed the instructions so we gave up on that. I am not a fan of having a ton of people in our room doing stuff when we are not around because of my first trip to Puerto Vallarta when I had maintenance people fix a lamp in the room and they took all my underwear. We hid our valuables in various places when we were not in the room and that seemed to work.
The doors to the patio had one blind that was broken so the blind obstructed our view the entire time we were there. I am wondering why they have not fixed it because it appears to have been broken for a while.
The complimentary Wi-Fi worked about 40% of the time.
The noise, which was mentioned on a few other reviews. Sacbe is close to the club scene of Playa so yes there is thumping all night from 10pm-6am. I am a medium to heavy sleeper and I did not have a problem with it at all. My husband who is a light sleeper woke up a couple of times because of it but he was able to get back to a slumber.
We vacationed during the rainy season so it rained a lot and because of the rain we had to wade through knee high water to get back to the room because the hotel is at the bottom of a hill where the water collects. You are pretty much wading through waste water which bummed me out so we took showers when we got back to the room. But because of the massive amounts of water the water in our room was not on at all but came back on about 12 hrs later. That part was crazy.
Bottom line:
I come to Mexico to play in the sun, surf, sand and meander on brick streets, reconnect with my husband and enjoy life. Sacbe is not your high end hotel but I felt safe and we enjoyed ourselves. No I will not return to Sacbe next time we come to Playa but it's not the worse place is Playa either. If you have to stay at Sacbe you'll enjoy yourself but you might be inconvenienced by a few oversights. AND don't visit during the rainy season.

Room Tip: don't get room 103 unless they do an update and fix the plumbing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank saradanita
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Villas Sacbe are one in 4 of the condo hotel complexes and is by far the worst. We paid almost as much as we paid for Porto Playa and there is a HUGE difference in the quality of this compound. There is no front desk or guards, no pool, and the quality of the units themselves are subpar. Beds are uncomfortable, linens are cheap, pillows are lumpy. And we paid 250 a night. My biggest complaint about this place is the fact that it is right by the clubs and the music shook our room until 5am. It was terrible. Not relaxing, could not sleep. I much prefer the other locations.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank diddleydd
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Villas Sacbe#12 (Penthouse)

We spent a an enjoyable week at Villas Sacbe #12 in mid February. I can’t say enough about the service and hospitality provided by the owner, Evelyn, and the property management company, Moskito.
The condo is centrally located a block from the beach and a block from 5th Avenue. Super location! The condo is spacious, clean and well-maintained. We were very satisfied with the amenities provided and appreciated the extras provided by Evelyn and Laura.
This was our sixth visit to Playa and we have always felt safe no matter where we travelled.
The condo and building is quiet during the daylight hours, but because of its proximity to the nightclub zone, some may be bothered by the constant beat of the music that starts at approx. 10 pm. I wasn’t bothered by the music, the bedroom at night provided a sound barrier so one can sleep.
I would return to Villas Sacbe #12 as I appreciated its location, the memberships (the Gym and Indigo Beach Club) and the peaceful tranquility of the daytime hours.
I have visited many hotels and I will state without hesitation that the service provided by Evelyn (owner) and Laura (Moskito Property Management) is second to none. Prior to my visit they responded to all inquiries, we did not experience any problems during our stay.
When we arrived at Villas Sacbe on our first day we were welcomed by Laura, as we stepped into Villas Sacbe she welcomed us “home”. We truly felt at “home” and had a wonderful week in Playa. Merci beaucoup!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank teacher435
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We're about half way through our stay in unit #12 and have been having a blast. The apartment complex is small with only 12 units, which keeps things calm and relaxing. The courtyard is beautiful and lush with mature plants. This specific unit is tastefully furnished and clean; beyond expectations. The only complaint I have is the noise at night from the clubs. This has been mentioned lots, and perhaps exaggerated by some, but undeniably it's annoying. From about 10 pm until 4-6 AM it's very loud. You can still watch TV and carry on a conversation but the music is impossible to ignore. Thankfully with the insulation in the bedroom, it can be completely drowned out by the AC. A light sleeper may have problems, but personally I've been getting good nights sleep every night.

I highly recommend villas sacbe #12 for those looking for an interesting alternative to the resorts. It's spacious, peaceful (during day and early evening), well located, and feels completely secure.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Derek B
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our stay at Villas Sacbe was wonderful. The location was perfect for both shopping and beach activities. The staff and service were exceptional. We also purchased the breakfast package and enjoyed a great breakfast every morning. We definitely recommend including the breakfast during your stay. Our condo (103) was quiet and private. The furnishings were cute and comfortable, and the kitchen was well stocked with coffee and all the things you need. The internet service was dependable with a good signal. Villas Sacbe had all the comforts of home in wonderful, lush surroundings. We also discovered a wonderful sipping tequila, Don Julio, while there. It was recommended by one of the wait staff and we thoroughly enjoyed sitting at the beach in the evenings having one..sometimes two. Perfect place for us.

Room Tip: Room 103 was very quiet and private. Sunny afternoon on patio, shady for morning coffee.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple