“All around great place to stay!”

Acanto Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #17 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“All around great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We loved our stay at the Acanto Boutique Condo/Hotel. I have been to Mexico many times and this was my favorite spot so far. Acanto's service is great + you are close enough to the beach where there are tons of beach restaurants/bars to choose from. Since our room had a kitchen, Acanto emailed a grocery list to fill out if we wanted to have food/drinks/beer in the room when we got there and helped arranged transfer from the airport. You truly cannot beat the location and even though a smaller hotel they are big on service. I will definitely go again.

Room Tip: If more than 2, I'd check out the top floor villas. Besides kitchen, they have private staircas...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
matthew c, General Manager at Acanto Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you for the great review. we enjoyed watching you guys have such a fun time. see you again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stayed at Acanto with a friend in a 2 bed condo style apartment with kitchen and living area. The condo was spacious clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are a good size with good amenities provided. The bedrooms are a generous size and the beds were large and comfortable. There is a small but nice pool in the central courtyard and there is communal seating near the pool and up on the roof which has great views.

The location is fantastic if you want to be in the centre of Playa tourist life with plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. There is a gym round the corner which the hotel has an agreement with for guests to get a 50% discount. The beach is a few minutes walk away and the hotel provides towels and has further arrangements with beach clubs for use of their facilities plus discounts on food and drink.

Prior to arrival, I received an email asking if I needed any information about the area and if I wanted any groceries purchasing. This was extremely helpful and a very nice touch.

There is a small deli next door

The staff are very friendly (Matt, Rafaella, Joel, Luis - thanks) and helpful and went over and above to help us out. My friend injured himself whilst we were staying there and the manager offered to pick up the medication that he required. This was greatly appreciated and is an example of how the hotel looks after its guests.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks guys glad you made it home safe. take care of the knee and please keep in touch. see you again soon we hope
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Our trip to Playa Del Carmen was wonderful thanks to the fabulous staff at the Acanto Hotel. The hotel is definitely a "boutique" hotel, meaning that it feels more like living in a hacienda style apartment than a mega hotel. That's exactly what we were looking for, and if that's what you're considering, look no further. I'd recommend this hotel in a heart beat. From the moment we arrived in the Cancun airport, the Acanto hotel took care of us. Antonio picked us up from the airport in a pristinely clean white van. I'm a huge neat freak so that was very important to me. Everything in the Acanto Hotel is clean, from the van to the to towels (they smell great, btw). Antonio was waiting, sign in hand, and had two ice cold bottled water with him. After a long flight there is absolutely nothing that tastes better than an ice cold bottle of water, exempt maybe a beer. Which you can request to have waiting for you in the hotel, how awesome is that? The Acanto Hotel is located on a beautiful tree lined street. It's literally ten steps from 5th Ave but you'd never know because it's so quiet. The location is perfect. One block from the beach. It's really a great place to call home during your stay. I could have easily enjoyed myself without leaving the hotel (our room had a private balcony with an ocean view and a hot tub). But of course, you can't stay there all day, you have to explore! We followed the concierge's every recommendation and she never steered us wrong. She gave us a couple of choices about which beach clubs to go to (we chose Sensi), which restaurants to eat at (Sirena Del Mar is right across the street and has incredible ceviche and the atmosphere was superb, the Kaxapa Factory is a wonderful Venezuelan restaurant just a few blocks away, and if you get the chance to walk down 5th Ave. for 10 minutes or so we'd HIGHLY recommend Como Como, this incredible little Italian restaurant, the food was so so good. Of course Thorton's downstairs for breakfast and lunch, room service too.) But back to the hotel. From the minute I walked in, it felt like entering a secret garden. It's really tasteful and beautiful. Beautiful kitchen, marble flooring, impeccably decorate rooms, a wonderful pool in the courtyard, flat screen TVs with tons of cable channels and WIFI, plus I've never seen such a clean room after housekeeping came (they're magical). I could easily live here. And who knows, maybe I will one day. Our package came with a day trip to Tulum and if you get the chance I would highly recommend going. Antonio picked us up early in the morning with a packed lunch from Thortons Cafe (just downstairs, great breakfast and lunch, we ate there every day) and we ventured down the road a bit to see the Mayan ruins. I think the Acanto Hotel is really a great choice for a Playa Del Carmen vacation. The location is close to everything yet the hotel is so quiet and the service so good that you feel like you're the only guest. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
matthew c, General Manager at Acanto Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
WOW! what a fantastic review. Now readers can finally see what our hotel and staff really have to offer. We work hard on every detail including the cleanliness and promptness of the transportation van all the way down t the minor details like fresh smelling towels. All requests are considered and we make every attempt to meet them as well. so give the Acanto a shot you will be delighted that you did.

Again thank you for this wonderful review
Fort Wayne, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

My recent stay at the Acanto was very nice. This is a quiet, quaint, and perfectly located property right off 5th Avenue. It was the perfect sanctuary to return to after a long day at the beach or shopping on 5th. We were close to everything, and we didn't have to spend a fortune for such beautiful surroundings. I will definitely recommend others to this property and hopefully, will return again.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

You cannot beat the location if you want to be near 5th Ave. I felt like we had the hotel to ourselves. We could hear the nightlife but it did not keep us awake. Everyone was very accomodating. We arranged a roundtrip transfer from the hotel....so glad we did! Antonia picked us up on time and he even offered to buy us beer for the short trip to the hotel! We hired him the following day to tour us around Tulum and The Cenotes. He packed beer, water, coke and cool towels for us! A++++
Suggestion: Stay off of 5th Ave. if you want the best deals. Retin A was $40 in town and 2 streets over it was $18. I would also suggest using Pesos...we got ripped off a couple of places. Also....You do not have to go through customs in Cancun...we got to the airport 3 hrs early. May is the beginning of the down season so the rates are great. Do your research before you leave.

1 Thank KittypoohL
matthew c, General Manager at Acanto Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Hi thank you for the positive review.. i just want to clarify for the readers that we are not on 5th ave. We are on 16 st, a quiet side street. The night music is from the piano bar next door, its soft romantic music and stops at midnight,, it is not from the clubs which are several blocks away.
Yes our staff and Antonio are fantastic catering to your every whim, ask us first about where to buy and shop and eat and well steer the guest in the right direction every time.

Our rates are always fair and lower than the competition, although there are not really any other properties like ours
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

I will definitely be going back to the Acanto Boutique Hotel. The hotel is more like a luxury villa or private condo than a normal hotel. Flat screen TV's, high speed internet, huge bathrooms with a large shower you can sit in, air conditioning, shaded balcony with tables & chairs overlooked the restaurants, and the beds were fantastic.

Upon arriving, took a private shuttle to the hotel and was able to check in fast. it was nice having the place stocked with food before I got there, they shop locally so the price for that was cheap. Since I wanted to get away from the 'party' resorts I was happy that the noise at night was zero. Yet, I was still steps away from the beach, steps away from 5th avenue, and about a 10 minute walk to some great local restaurants.

My friend and I rented scooters for $20 a day while we were down there (parked in the Acanto's gated basement garage) so getting around to all the local restaurants were great; great ceviche. I love tennis, so being a few blocks from public tennis courts was fantastic (bright rackets).

Overall I loved the luxury part of the hotel. The owner & staff treated us like we owned one of their condos and they were managing it for us. Anything we needed they found time to do; even though we could tell they were very busy. I would highly recommend the Acanto Conods in Playa Del Carmen to anyone who wants a luxury condo on the beach. Jeff

Room Tip: ask for a balcony overlooking 16 Ave. It was well shaded. Mornings, afternoons, and evenings seeme...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeff F
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

My first stay at this property. The location about 50 yards from 5th Ave at 16th is very convenient with little noise. The beach is about a block away and this is a relatively quiet area of the beach. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly and all speak fluent english. Nice, very newly renovated room with a clean marble bathroom of good size and a balcony over the pool. The parking is easy and secure. I go to PDC frequently on business and will return to the Acanto on my next trip.
Thanks for a great stay!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
matthew c, General Manager at Acanto Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you we enjoy having you and look forward to your return