1,780 results
All reviewsrooftop poolbalcony roomperfect locationtop floorfifth avenuehotel is greatsmall poolrooms are largeair conditionerferry to cozumelocean viewking bedour honeymoonbeachsaulmexicocalle
Reviewed February 2, 2010

This was our first experience with a boutique hotel in Playa and we found it very nice. We found it on Trip Advisor and it had pretty good reviews so we thought we would give it a try. Rooms are very basic but also very clean, we did have a balcony room overlooking the street so we could see the beach on one end and 5th avenue on the other. Our patio door had a screen door so we did not need the air conditioning. It does get a bit loud at night when 5th avenue comes to life, but we enjoyed people watching from the balcony.

They do have wireless internet but the signal is very low and slow, and usually not work from our room but did work from the sitting area in the hallway.

Rooms did have small refrigerators, and we did have the continental breakfast which was fine.

We had good service, this is not a 5 star resort but for a small boutique hotel it was very nice.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We had a paid reservation and when wee arrived, tired and ready to settle in, they bumped us to a much lower quality hotel and inferior location. They did not adjust our bill. Don't book here, there is no promise you will get what you paid for. We met another family they also bumped!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jkerrsd
Reviewed February 1, 2010

After reading several reviews about this hotel that were good, I booked a week stay October 3 through October 10 2009. We arrived very late the evening of October 3. The town was very busy and it took us some time to get through the town and to convince the local police, who had the street to the hotel blocked off, that we needed to be able to drive down to the hotel and check in.
Once we were checked in, we took our luggage to the room, found it hot, with no AC running. We went back to the front desk to ask about the air conditioning as well as parking for our car. We were told that we had to be in the room and use the key for the AC to work and "sometimes it takes a couple of hours to cool down". The clerk at the front desk tried to be accommodating, but the best he could ofer on parking was, to drive around and "find a place on the street" We went to our car and attempted to drive through the town to find a parking place. After an hour of very frustrating driving, we returned to the hotel, and told the desk clerk that there was no place to be found. He then said that there were some parking lots to pay for in town.
We went up to the room and discussed the situation. My companion and I decided that this was not going to work for us, since I am somewhat handicapped and cannot walk long distances, and went back to the desk.
We told the clerk that we would not be using the room, and returned our key. We asked how we would get our payment refunded since we had paid for the entire week, and he told us that it should not be a problem, but he could not do it, we would have to contact the hotel manager later in the week for the refund. We thanked him, and left the location
I had originally purchased this through HSI and contacted them that eveining to let them know that the accommodations were unsuccessful. The contact was not returned in a prompt manner, but finally I was told that HSI had paid Illusions and I needed to get the refund from them.
After arriving home I emailed Illusions and asked how to get our refund. I sent the original email October 19, and a follow up October 22 asking for a reply. I received an email on October 22 from Gustavo Hernandez, saying that they were looking into the situation. I heard nothing back, and I sent an inquiry November 23 asking for the status. Gustavo Hernandez replied back on November 24 saying that he believed the accounting department had processed a credit and to check my credit card statement.
I replied back the same say (November 24) and said that I did not have a credit, and asking for information on when I would get the credit and what card it was being credited to.
Since then I have emailed three times, with still no reply and no refund.
I am very dissatisfied with the lack of communication and the fact that I paid for a week of accommodations, that were not able to be used.
I will update this post if and when I receive a reply and a refund.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dpatchie
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We just returned home from 7 nights in Playa, and we were very pleased with this hotel. Upon arriving we were upgraded to a balcony room overlooking the street ( they did this without asking) and the process was painless except for the $50 deposit to cover mini-bar expenses. Not just a credit card on file, $50 rung up cash or credit($500 pesos).
The room was roomy with a king bed, fridge, a/c, ceiling fan, tv and roomy bathroom. It was very clean. There was some street noise throughout the night, and noise within the hotel early in the morning, but that is to be expected and certainly tolerable. (you should travel with earplugs if noise bothers you anyways)
The roof top pool is only 2 feet deep and rather chilly but that made it a perfect dunk pool for cooling off from the sun quickly. Although there was a bar on the roof, only one afternoon was there a bartender (he made a killer margarita) so we brought our own beers up there to enjoy while reading and looking out on the ocean.
It is between 5th ave and the ocean on 8th st. This made it a perfect home base for my wife and I to go out walking around the whole city in search of food and drinks off the beaten path. We never had to take a cab anywhere.
Breakfast was served in a lovely courtyard and was perfectly adequate. Coffee, orange juice, cinnamon roll and fresh toasted bread made by the restaurant owners mother. They did offer a full breakfast menu if you wished.
Overall, we had a good experience with this hotel, staff was friendly, rooms and public spaces were very clean and the location was great.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MotorCityWine
Reviewed January 28, 2010

I travelled alone, and made my reservation with Expedia, with worked fine!.
I was in an interior room which faced to a little patio, not open air (not the big central patio).
Patio was decorated, but in the ground floor it was some kind of room of the people who worked in the hotel, so, in the early morning (8-9 am) you can hear them chatting like they were with you in the room. Perhaps you don't have this problem in other type of rooms.
Room was very big, king beds, and very big shower! The maid made really well her job, and all the days the room was very clean. Bed matress was a bit hard, but I have read this is normal in Mexico... Some years ago I stayed in Riu in Playacar and I don't remember having the hard matress experience...
There were amenities in the bathroom, fridge and tv, mostly wiht spanish language channels.
Location is very good, just 5 minutes from ADO bus station, and 20 seconds from 5th Avenue. Beach is not really good near the hotel (of course, comparing Playa beach with the beaches from other places in the area, like Puerto Morelos or Tulum)...
For the price I paid (about 65 USD/night,), it was really a good option!.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo